Home buying thread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It won't get to that because I will block his view with nature if necessary, which he couldn't stop. His "view" is my property. He owns 3 acres that is surrounded by my 20. We are also a right to farm state so farm related nuisance is not applicable in most cases. We have some of the strongest farmer protections in the country so I'll leave it your imagination as to how that can work against him.
Property law is very complicated, nuanced, and arbitrary. You want to dig into this and find out the applicable case law because I guarantee you "common sense" does not apply.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Property law is very complicated, nuanced, and arbitrary. You want to dig into this and find out the applicable case law because I guarantee you "common sense" does not apply.
Well said. I was trying to convey that same message, you just said it more succinctly than me.

I have seen some crazy shit happen with real estate disputes.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Have my first official meeting with township this week, takes 3 total to get to full approval, one each month. I'm torn on if I should bring it up to them now. I think he is unlikely to show up and I may be able to just coast through without it ever coming up. Issue is the township solicitor is part of the very end approval in December and that is where it is most likely to come up if at all which would be right as we want to start work. Hate even thinking about the constant stress of this for the next three months with so much on the line. I don't really feel like I've made my mind up on how to handle it. Really blows I just want to be left alone.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Have my first official meeting with township this week, takes 3 total to get to full approval, one each month. I'm torn on if I should bring it up to them now. I think he is unlikely to show up and I may be able to just coast through without it ever coming up. Issue is the township solicitor is part of the very end approval in December and that is where it is most likely to come up if at all which would be right as we want to start work. Hate even thinking about the constant stress of this for the next three months with so much on the line. I don't really feel like I've made my mind up on how to handle it. Really blows I just want to be left alone.
Township approval is one thing but if the neighbor can sue you personally and get an injunction against you blocking their view it's not going to matter what the township approved.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Township approval is one thing but if the neighbor can sue you personally and get an injunction against you blocking their view it's not going to matter what the township approved.
It won't come to that, and if it does it so frivolous I will be able to pursue him for legal cost of fighting him. I'm not blocking his view, I'm in his view just like everyone else is going to be on the street. As mentioned I'm 600 ft away and 55ft below him, if I built where I am currently fully approved to build, an approval that existed when he bought, then I will be 45ft away and 5 ft above him significantly more in his way and completely eliminating his privacy. It's so idiotic that if he would just come to the site he would see how stupid he is being. He doesn't even live around here and he doesn't understand how much I'm improving this for him and because he won't even communicate with me I can't get a chance to even explain it to him. He is just one of these people who felt he has some power over a situation and his knee jerk reaction is to just be a dick rather than even take a look at the plans. His own builder the guy who right now is the actual legal owner has no idea wtf this guy is on about.

The fact the person making trouble doesn't even own the lot is going to preclude him from doing much of anything unless he can speed along taking ownership to even have any standing on the issue. I have very little legal concern, to me the township approval is the issue of concern. Because while his claim of view blocking is laughable, the argument that the conservation easement on my lot changing is a more valid point of discussion that he should have some input on. Input is not 100% control though, I believe the township would hear him out if he wanted to make a case for how this is bad for him but I still think they will disagree as I have already spoken with them and they think I'm improving things and are apologetic about the original approval was a mess.

I met this guy one time back in July and I had to show him what land he even owned. Just a spoiled kid that has very little real world experience at this point, he is a classic well educated individual with a serious dose of naivety .

I do hear you and Oblio and it's noted. I don't plan on putting my guard down. Just on the life experience level, this wouldn't be my first legal rodeo and I have a great law firm and I'm quite sure this guy has probably never had to use a lawyer in his life, as mentioned just a kid out of school with a high salary .

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, I get it. But when I have to give 30 days notice for a rental, it really gives me almost no options. Whole thing fucking sucks.

I guess my only option would've been to just pay an entire month of extra rent and only give notice after we already close. But considering my rent is $1900 a month, plus utilities I need to keep on, that's quite expensive for a place I'm not living in.
You can tell the developer your issues from their delays and ask if they can find a solution so you don't have to find an attorney. Threats alone can get it done sometimes.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can tell the developer your issues from their delays and ask if they can find a solution so you don't have to find an attorney. Threats alone can get it done sometimes.
I mean, they have a thing in the contract stating that they can't commit to a date. I'm not sure that the expectation of closing is worth anything.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is this a sign that house prices are going to cool off, or a sign of a looming dip/correction?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Is this a sign that house prices are going to cool off, or a sign of a looming dip/correction?

I'm guessing it is as stated. Some places have no bodies or if they have bodies, they don't have time.

I'd hate to be a business owner right now.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In today's day and age I'm reluctant to take a large corporations statement at face value. It's like wall street before the big crash. Instead of companies sounding the horn, it was just a game of hot potato of who could unload the assets first before the house of cards officially fell.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In today's day and age I'm reluctant to take a large corporations statement at face value. It's like wall street before the big crash. Instead of companies sounding the horn, it was just a game of hot potato of who could unload the assets first before the house of cards officially fell.
Take this for whatever. Median home prices in Orlando fell for the first time in a year. And inventory has increased as well as cumulative 15% reduction in sale numbers in the last two months.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when i was looking for a home, a few of them were "zillow" homes, my agent told me it's in a state of "being presentable", (some homes were sold, some were as is, he was just trying to show us whats out there you know)they'll put on new paint, fixtures and even a nest (i noticed the nest was wonky and he said they seem to install nest on all their aquired homes).

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Depends wildly where you are. Where I am in LA houses are still going 20% over list in cash with a dozen offers inside of a week.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I mean, they have a thing in the contract stating that they can't commit to a date. I'm not sure that the expectation of closing is worth anything.

Odds are very high that it's cheaper for them to actually get their shit together and do the job than it is to talk to their lawyer for any length of time about even a frivolous case.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

I do think we are ripe for a correction, these appreciation rates are just not sustainable. Sadly, I am concerned that correction will come via the global economy by way of China. My understanding of what is going on over there with their real estate is eerily similar to what we were seeing here in 2007 in places like Vegas.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I've been absolutely seething this morning. We were originally supposed to close today, but on Friday they told us the appraisal came in late (Thursday, was supposed to be Tuesday) and they had to push it to this Thursday.

Last night our realtor said, hey, good news, the sod is outside the house. We don't know if the sod guys will show up (today) though, so we'd see in the morning. Our realtor and the sales guy from the building company tell us this morning they still don't know if the sod guys will show up, but they were working on it. She also mentioned sort of as a side that the sales guy was looking for a "skid steer to final grade the yard." Wait, what?

Didn't hear anything the rest of the morning, so I told the wife I was driving over there. Whoops! Turns out they still haven't graded the fucking yard. I sent a very shitty text with pictures to our realtor about how they owe me an answer as to why they set these closing dates with no intention of keeping them. We're still waiting to hear back, but I'm going to make it very clear they that've lied to us on several occasions now (the big one being this morning saying they had sod guys scheduled -- bullshit you did, or the yard would be graded; but the other is blaming the appraisal for the delay when, once again, they hadn't finished grading it). And I don't appreciate being lied to. I'm not sure if I want to drop the "lawyer" word on them, because I feel like they could become vindictive and say "fuck you, we won't be finished for months." (I should point out that last week the appraisal came in under our offer, and the owner of the building company wanted to appeal the decision which takes a month; I'm like, fuck no you aren't)

We're already paying for the utilities, our rate lock expires Friday (it was a 45 day rate lock ffs), we're out of our rental on Monday. I've already had to reschedule our fridge, internet installation, and U-Haul once. I can absolutely show financial damages, and I have evidence they've lied about their intentions to finish the property to us.

Meanwhile the house next door that put in their offer weeks after ours closed last week. But no one has moved in. For some reason they graded their yard back in August and just decided to say fuck it to ours. Oh, and that sod that's sitting outside the house will almost definitely be dead by the time they get off their asses to install it. Awesome.

• 2Rustled
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well I've been absolutely seething this morning. We were originally supposed to close today, but on Friday they told us the appraisal came in late (Thursday, was supposed to be Tuesday) and they had to push it to this Thursday.

Last night our realtor said, hey, good news, the sod is outside the house. We don't know if the sod guys will show up (today) though, so we'd see in the morning. Our realtor and the sales guy from the building company tell us this morning they still don't know if the sod guys will show up, but they were working on it. She also mentioned sort of as a side that the sales guy was looking for a "skid steer to final grade the yard." Wait, what?

Didn't hear anything the rest of the morning, so I told the wife I was driving over there. Whoops! Turns out they still haven't graded the fucking yard. I sent a very shitty text with pictures to our realtor about how they owe me an answer as to why they set these closing dates with no intention of keeping them. We're still waiting to hear back, but I'm going to make it very clear they that've lied to us on several occasions now (the big one being this morning saying they had sod guys scheduled -- bullshit you did, or the yard would be graded; but the other is blaming the appraisal for the delay when, once again, they hadn't finished grading it). And I don't appreciate being lied to. I'm not sure if I want to drop the "lawyer" word on them, because I feel like they could become vindictive and say "fuck you, we won't be finished for months." (I should point out that last week the appraisal came in under our offer, and the owner of the building company wanted to appeal the decision which takes a month; I'm like, fuck no you aren't)

We're already paying for the utilities, our rate lock expires Friday (it was a 45 day rate lock ffs), we're out of our rental on Monday. I've already had to reschedule our fridge, internet installation, and U-Haul once. I can absolutely show financial damages, and I have evidence they've lied about their intentions to finish the property to us.

Meanwhile the house next door that put in their offer weeks after ours closed last week. But no one has moved in. For some reason they graded their yard back in August and just decided to say fuck it to ours. Oh, and that sod that's sitting outside the house will almost definitely be dead by the time they get off their asses to install it. Awesome.

Based on your other updates was getting the feeling it was going to be unlikely they pull their shit together last minute. Have you tried to find someone to do the work? If it's anything like here you probably wouldn't have any luck finding someone but I think I'd at least try.