Home buying thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I know we have a fair number of rental property owners (aka slumlords) in this thread. As I try to look into my crystal ball I see that we might be approaching the time to move into the rental property space. Anyone have any thoughts on condo vs single family home for rentals? I see lower cost to entry and lowery property tax/insurance on the condo side but more real estate appreciation on the single family home side.

I look for smaller sq ft single family homes in places that are nice and crime-free, but not in really nice areas. The rents are comparable but the house prices are much better. Also, the number of potential renters in the areas that surround the nicest ones is much higher since they want to be as close as they can to the upper class, but they can't afford to actually buy a home there.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I look for smaller sq ft single family homes in places that are nice and crime-free, but not in really nice areas. The rents are comparable but the house prices are much better. Also, the number of potential renters in the areas that surround the nicest ones is much higher since they want to be as close as they can to the upper class, but they can't afford to actually buy a home there.
isn't it also about school zoning, they'll rent a home for a few years in a good zoned area?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
isn't it also about school zoning, they'll rent a home for a few years in a good zoned area?
Yeah thats one of my major considerations, can i increase rents enough in "A" rated school zones to justify the increased cost of the purchase.

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
I think the cost of property is too high to turn good profits now. Bought a single family residence for STR in Florida, about 10 minutes to the beaches, and the market is so saturated that it hasn’t been very profitable. Had i purchased the property five years ago, it would be a different story.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think the cost of property is too high to turn good profits now. Bought a single family residence for STR in Florida, about 10 minutes to the beaches, and the market is so saturated that it hasn’t been very profitable. Had i purchased the property five years ago, it would be a different story.
Im not looking to buy yet, just beginning the analysis and evaluation portion.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my ac decided to shit the bed. Blower motor is just about dead and so practically no air is coming out of the vents.

With it being 25ish years old Im thinking it's probably best to just replace the thing instead of get it repaired. Anyone have an ac installed in the past year or two? How much did you end up paying?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my ac decided to shit the bed. Blower motor is just about dead and so practically no air is coming out of the vents.

With it being 25ish years old Im thinking it's probably best to just replace the thing instead of get it repaired. Anyone have an ac installed in the past year or two? How much did you end up paying?
you sure you just don't want to try to change the blower motor cap?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
you sure you just don't want to try to change the blower motor cap?
Yeah reading up it very well could be that(though if thats the case the tech missing that is gonna be pretty jimmy rustling) so Ill pick one up tomorrow morning and swap it out.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Removed contingencies today, but not before getting the seller to agree to pony up $15k for an HVAC system replacement and mold remediation; both were known issues that he didn't disclose. I feel pretty good about that!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Removed contingencies today, but not before getting the seller to agree to pony up $15k for an HVAC system replacement and mold remediation; both were known issues that he didn't disclose. I feel pretty good about that!
was it a 1fl or 2fl condo you got?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
was it a 1fl or 2fl condo you got?

2 floors, 1,500 square feet. It's a pretty awesome deal for the sale price and location. I was outbid on the one I posted about earlier in this thread but there's still plenty of value in this one since it's a 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. (Technically it's a 2 bedroom right now, but I'm getting credit to turn the loft into a 3rd bedroom.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
2 floors, 1,500 square feet. It's a pretty awesome deal for the sale price and location. I was outbid on the one I posted about earlier in this thread but there's still plenty of value in this one since it's a 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. (Technically it's a 2 bedroom right now, but I'm getting credit to turn the loft into a 3rd bedroom.)
thats cool, does the hvac credit extend to new ducting or just condenser/furnace?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You buying a place with a known mold issue?

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

$6k per unit