Home buying thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A central AC unit in TX is like $13k all told to buy and get it installed.

fris

Vyemm Raider
6k seems very low for me as well. A coworker just replaced his whole system for 10k, buy admits probably going too small on what he got for the size of his home. He's hoping to m ok ve before any part of it burns out

I've had my capacitor and outside fan replaced over the last three last 5 years. Seems that if that fixes your issue, it's worth it. I got the sense that replacing the whole system was more $$ for the installer and why they pushed it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It was known to the seller, but not disclosed. I discovered it during the inspection period. It's not a lot of mold and I was willing to continue with buying it if the seller paid for the remediation and he agreed.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
A central AC unit in TX is like $13k all told to buy and get it installed.
Last one I bought, around 6 years ago, was around that. For a 2600 sq ft house. But also got some amped up filtration and whatnot along with it due to allergy crap.

And speaking of money you don't want to spend on a home. That's right about what a good new fence is about to cost me unless I decide to go DIY or "hire Juan from the home depot parking lot" on it. heh

Found an example of what I want to buy next for the retirement home away from town, now just to see if this type of situation shows back up in a year when I suspect we'll be in a recession/market correction and cheaper..

fris

Vyemm Raider
if you don't have to replace the posts, a fence isn't too bad to DIY. growing up in houston, hurricanes give lots of practice replacing fences. having to dig out a post can be a pain in the ass and take hours. the labor cost is pretty big % of fence work

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
6k seems very low for me as well. A coworker just replaced his whole system for 10k, buy admits probably going too small on what he got for the size of his home. He's hoping to m ok ve before any part of it burns out

I've had my capacitor and outside fan replaced over the last three last 5 years. Seems that if that fixes your issue, it's worth it. I got the sense that replacing the whole system was more $$ for the installer and why they pushed it.
6k per unit, 2 units for the house.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
if you don't have to replace the posts, a fence isn't too bad to DIY. growing up in houston, hurricanes give lots of practice replacing fences. having to dig out a post can be a pain in the ass and take hours. the labor cost is pretty big % of fence work
In my case, it's all metal posts. A few need straightening, which I understand you can do with a torch (heat and bend) or at worst you cut it and weld it back on straight.

fris

Vyemm Raider
If the post aren't on your side, and they bend in the direction of the fence line... Lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Getting rid of shit in my old house is so liberating. I do have to buy a ton of shit for my new house though. Which is both annoying and exciting.

On the plus side. My new home office is going to be awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Getting rid of shit in my old house is so liberating. I do have to buy a ton of shit for my new house though. Which is both annoying and exciting.

On the plus side. My new home office is going to be awesome.
garage sale or dumpster fire?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am just getting rid of stuff, threw some away, sold some, whatever.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So my problem wasnt the capacitor, the blower motor itself was actually just about dead.

$300 later I have a replacement motor installed.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So my problem wasnt the capacitor, the blower motor itself was actually just about dead.

$300 later I have a replacement motor installed.
Gotta get my entire blower and coils replaced inside. 2200 labor freon and parts

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My advice from local slum lord friend is multiple small units > one big. Diffused risk, greater return generally.

100%

Bigger units are harder to rent, appreciate slower in value than smaller homes.

I prefer single family homes over 2-4 unit apartment complexes because the former you can sell to anyone, but the latter only to another landlord/ or real estate company. After doing it myself this year, I probably wouldnt buy anything over 1200 sq ft though and would definitely look for location in a good school area (huge for renters since they typically cant afford private schools)

Condos are pretty much nonexistent in my area but I suspect now that the Great Migration has been around for a while, people would likely move to where they can buy/rent a house instead of a condo.

I do some consulting work for one of the major apartment rental websites on the internet (millions of users per month). Almost all the available inventory is in houses and apartments, very little in condos and townhomes. From what ive seen, the condo rental market is practically nonexistent outside half a dozen major cities. Miami dwarfs everyone else when it comes to condo rentals.

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So my ac decided to shit the bed. Blower motor is just about dead and so practically no air is coming out of the vents.

With it being 25ish years old Im thinking it's probably best to just replace the thing instead of get it repaired. Anyone have an ac installed in the past year or two? How much did you end up paying?

I paid just under $4500 for a new Bryant unit, built in Indianapolis,, and the guy came out and rebuilt the plenum they half-assed when they installed the furnace a few years back for free.

That was 2 years ago, and I got 25 months interest free same as cash. Last payment is this month, so not a bad deal.