Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone got any experience with manufactured homes? I had never really considered them almost entirely due to the stigma around them, but my father-in-law mentioned it the other day and now my wheels are turning on that.

I could get a super cheap piece of land, likely pay a bit for utility connections and a slab on grade, and then just plop the thing on top of it.

I've basically decided that I don't have the timeline to build something from the ground up. The 6 weeks we took to move from California to Florida was a glimpse of retired life, and I've pretty much decided I don't have the stomach for work life anymore. While I'd love to be able to find a complete dump and renovate it, it seems like the price on those is just way too high (likely above $200k just for the dumper, before I put a dollar into renovations). There are quite a few plots sub-$30k and I could be all in for under $200k easy.

Most of my concerns at this point are subpar quality of materials, but otherwise, I think it's an option. I'd likely get two slabs poured so I can build our gym as a separate building myself (a stick built building, no plumbing).

I feel like I'm on a limited timeline here though because there's no way we'd get approved for a mortgage post-retirement, so the sooner I can make something happen the better. My initial plan of waiting until after June 30th for the mortgage forbearance to pass is likely just way too far out. I figure the actual foreclosures wouldn't start until a few months after that, and then you factor in the 2-3 months for closing on it myself. That likely puts us at the end of the year, and I don't know if I'll last the summer.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone got any experience with manufactured homes? I had never really considered them almost entirely due to the stigma around them, but my father-in-law mentioned it the other day and now my wheels are turning on that.

I could get a super cheap piece of land, likely pay a bit for utility connections and a slab on grade, and then just plop the thing on top of it.

I've basically decided that I don't have the timeline to build something from the ground up. The 6 weeks we took to move from California to Florida was a glimpse of retired life, and I've pretty much decided I don't have the stomach for work life anymore. While I'd love to be able to find a complete dump and renovate it, it seems like the price on those is just way too high (likely above $200k just for the dumper, before I put a dollar into renovations). There are quite a few plots sub-$30k and I could be all in for under $200k easy.

Most of my concerns at this point are subpar quality of materials, but otherwise, I think it's an option. I'd likely get two slabs poured so I can build our gym as a separate building myself (a stick built building, no plumbing).

I feel like I'm on a limited timeline here though because there's no way we'd get approved for a mortgage post-retirement, so the sooner I can make something happen the better. My initial plan of waiting until after June 30th for the mortgage forbearance to pass is likely just way too far out. I figure the actual foreclosures wouldn't start until a few months after that, and then you factor in the 2-3 months for closing on it myself. That likely puts us at the end of the year, and I don't know if I'll last the summer.
Hurricanes.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

I can't speak to FL but around here there is usually deed restrictions preventing them in any decent neighborhood. Still seems you would save money and issue by just buying an existing home. Building no matter how you do it is going to be a much longer and expensive process.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

i know quite a few people who live in them and they aren't what they used to be, basically glorified trailers. You can get them built more or less like a stick built house and like you said, way more convenient than building. Some people say that the perceived stigma of being a "manufactured home" will hurt your resale value, but I don't know if that's true. You will also have limited floor plans but that's also true with some builders. They're very popular for ranchers in this area because most of them are not thinking about resale and as you said, you can just pour a slab, drop the house on it, and you're moving in a few weeks later. I've been in them and they're not fancy houses but they're very livable and don't feel like trailers to me. Considerably cheaper and way more convenient than building from scratch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Know two people that have them. They had it put on their property to live in while they built a house. It's not really a trailer and more like a pre manaufactured home that was built off site and joined back together on site. I'm sure there are a multitude of companies that do different qualities and such. One thing both of them did was have a simple one put on the site and then build a separate roof structure that made into the porch and all separate. So basically two roofs. Both said after talking to numerous others the roof was the weak spot. I couldn't really tell without looking close, especially from 20 foot away.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Submitted contract on the land for house today. I am torn on spending the money up front during due diligence to have well put in on the off chance there is an issue I could kill it. Out a few thousand dollars better than being out 100x that. Water is very rarely an issue around here, but a property nearby building a new home recently had issue.
Seller countered last night. Ask is now $5k more than what I wanted to pay but I don’t think he is going to budge so probably need to just suck it up and pay it.

My issue isn’t the $5k more for the land but that I have a cap on what I spend for the entire project so it’s just a realization that it will be $5k I could have spent on the home or accessory that now I’ll have to give up.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Finally got a June 29 th close date on our house that began construction in March. It will be the first one finished in this development. We paid $243k and the same house in the same development is now going for $274k. Exciting stuff, will be my first home. I never thought my wild ass would get to this point. Better late than never I guess.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally got a June 29 th close date on our house that began construction in March. It will be the first one finished in this development. We paid $243k and the same house in the same development is now going for $274k. Exciting stuff, will be my first home. I never thought my wild ass would get to this point. Better late than never I guess.
Mad jealous. The one I bought in February hasn't even struck ground yet.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Talked to civil engineer and site plan engineering is going to be over $30,000, going to have to keep checking that I didn't somehow buy a boat the way the costs just keep rolling in. I could do for $10k but I want to change the house site location which requires new storm water management plan and a change to a conservation easement. Wish I didn't have to worry about the crazy's on this forum and just post all the pics and details over the next year as I know there are people who are just curious about what is entailed in land development and building a new home. My drive is going to be over 500' long. I'm thinking maybe compacted stone would be the better choice than blacktop but the way it seems so far these nazi's will probably fight me on that.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Talked to civil engineer and site plan engineering is going to be over $30,000, going to have to keep checking that I didn't somehow buy a boat the way the costs just keep rolling in. I could do for $10k but I want to change the house site location which requires new storm water management plan and a change to a conservation easement. Wish I didn't have to worry about the crazy's on this forum and just post all the pics and details over the next year as I know there are people who are just curious about what is entailed in land development and building a new home. My drive is going to be over 500' long. I'm thinking maybe compacted stone would be the better choice than blacktop but the way it seems so far these nazi's will probably fight me on that.

Post em. Photoshop the hell out of them.

Also that $30k price sounds like some bullshit and they're use to pricing corporate gigs. I would shop around. Even a contractor could provide most of that for exponentially less.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Post em. Photoshop the hell out of them.

Also that $30k price sounds like some bullshit and they're use to pricing corporate gigs. I would shop around. Even a contractor could provide most of that for exponentially less.

Dealing with the townships around here is an absolute nightmare. They have made this process as painful and ridiculous as possible. I will be checking around , but I doubt it will change.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have around 40 acres, and the far side of it runs along another street. I'm considering severing several lots, I think I could do seven that would be adequate for houses. The lots are cleared and ready for building. I know there is good water there, so wells would be no problem. Other houses are nearby, so I assume electric would also be no problem. I think I could get $40K for each lot. This seems like an ideal time to do it. Anyone have experience with this?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have around 40 acres, and the far side of it runs along another street. I'm considering severing several lots, I think I could do seven that would be adequate for houses. The lots are cleared and ready for building. I know there is good water there, so wells would be no problem. Other houses are nearby, so I assume electric would also be no problem. I think I could get $40K for each lot. This seems like an ideal time to do it. Anyone have experience with this?
Might talk to a small builder they are often looking for buildable lots, they might do much of the legwork for you of getting it subdivided

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Might talk to a small builder they are often looking for buildable lots, they might do much of the legwork for you of getting it subdivided

That's a fantastic idea. I do know people who want lots to build on. And if they do the legwork for me, I'll even give them kick backs. There's nothing I hate more than dealing with bureaucracy.

• 1Like

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
If the house I bought in February increased in base price by $30k in two months... and the house has not even started being built yet....

This year is going to be nuts man.
Signed in November, not built yet (started bricking this week and have tape and bed on drywall), costs 90k more to build the same house now in the same neighborhood. Glad I signed when I did.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That's a fantastic idea. I do know people who want lots to build on. And if they do the legwork for me, I'll even give them kick backs. There's nothing I hate more than dealing with bureaucracy.
“Even”? Lol expect them to ask for at least 40%.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I have a website for commercial timber. I get THOUSANDS of homeowners asking to come cut their 5 yard trees and they’ll give me the wood for free. Lolwtf?

I want to reply to all of them with, “LOL! YOU ARE SO STUPID!” I don’t. I just ignore them for the stupid people they are and automate my replies to tell them no.

So, if you’re serious don’t do that shit to a developer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a website for commercial timber. I get THOUSANDS of homeowners asking to come cut their 5 yard trees and they’ll give me the wood for free. Lolwtf?

I want to reply to all of them with, “LOL! YOU ARE SO STUPID!” I don’t. I just ignore them for the stupid people they are and automate my replies to tell them no.

So, if you’re serious don’t do that shit to a developer.

Here pulpwood haulers that have the short junky trucks that are 30 years old will normally come cut yard trees and haul them off to the pulpwood mill. One to 6 logs (16 feet) at a time.

When I cut the shortleaf off my parents 5 acres I had a pulpwood hauler guy haul it off as a fair trade. Don't want no shortleaf, the rape artist of the pine timber world.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus fuck just came from south of nashville house hunting.

i'm looking at over half a million dollar homes and the lawns are attrocious

like i go "this lawn is disgusting also(after seeing the 5th house in a row with a horrible lawn)

my wife "what? i think the white lawn looks pretty"

me "thats all fucking weeds!!!, every white flower is a weed"

like fucking sprinklers... theyre not new fuck

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is how I feel about my neighbors who pay for someone to cut their lawn but don't bother taking care of it at all.