Home buying thread

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Good luck with all of that. It always seems septic is the one that they make most difficult. Hope it all goes smoothly.
How is pricing for your build? Has it come down of late? Seems lumber pricing is coming down, though cement remains pretty high.
Things have definitely improved on the lumber package. Lots of other items have been upticking like garage doors, fixtures etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, looks like we’re taking a six month road trip across the US before we move 😂

There an RV thread?

• 1Like

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Close Monday on my new place. Price has gone up over 110k(not to me) since I signed the contract to build last November. 11 months and still some remaining things to go or are delayed (microwave) but I am pumped to get in.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Close Monday on my new place. Price has gone up over 110k(not to me) since I signed the contract to build last November. 11 months and still some remaining things to go or are delayed (microwave) but I am pumped to get in.
microwave, like for the matching set?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What area?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Got some good news as my plan approval was pushed 30 days closer. So hoping to be breaking ground in December instead of January. Meeting with excavator this weekend, storm water management is pretty extensive, I'm trying to prepare myself for a shockingly high number.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got some good news as my plan approval was pushed 30 days closer. So hoping to be breaking ground in December instead of January. Meeting with excavator this weekend, storm water management is pretty extensive, I'm trying to prepare myself for a shockingly high number.
basement or crawl space?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
basement or crawl space?
Full basement with walkout. The area I'm building is around a 10% slope so works very well for a walkout, I'm doing 9' ceiling even on the basement level. I have 600' of 10-15% slope above the home area so volume of water from drive that needs diverted is pretty significant.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had our inspection today. Very, very minor stuff, although it's new construction so not surprising. Most of the stuff likely would've been fixed without the inspection pointing it out (like caulking around some windows, a faucet, that kind of stuff).

Have our first walkthrough with the builder on Tuesday, and still scheduled to close the following Tuesday. 6 working days left!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Had our inspection today. Very, very minor stuff, although it's new construction so not surprising. Most of the stuff likely would've been fixed without the inspection pointing it out (like caulking around some windows, a faucet, that kind of stuff).

Have our first walkthrough with the builder on Tuesday, and still scheduled to close the following Tuesday. 6 working days left!
Getting really close now, you happy with it/meet expectations? I assume you probably saw very similar models they had already built

Fucker

Log Wizard

Mine closes next week. End of a very long project. Day after close, new furniture gets delivered and I going to spend weeks doing nothing in particular except getting the place set up.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mine closes next week. End of a very long project. Day after close, new furniture gets delivered and I going to spend weeks doing nothing in particular except getting the place set up.
how the hell you find new furniture w/ wood so crazy?

Fucker

Log Wizard
how the hell you find new furniture w/ wood so crazy?
I just got the basics for now. Two complete beds, two couches, washer and dryer. Other stuff will be purchased as it becomes available or when I figure out what I want. Also: world's largest furniture store. It has three utterly massive buildings.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Getting really close now, you happy with it/meet expectations? I assume you probably saw very similar models they had already built
Yeah, the reason we went with new is that the floorplans for most houses are so shit for the size we wanted. This basically nailed it all.

There are a few minor things we don't like, but for the most part we love it. Although we'll see when we move in. My wife apparently didn't love our last house and told me I said "this feels like home." Now every house we see is with that as the standard because it grew on us so much. Since we're both pretty happy with it, I'd guess in a few years we'll really love it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the reason we went with new is that the floorplans for most houses are so shit for the size we wanted. This basically nailed it all.
what were you looking for that wasn't available?

tbh i don't like this 1st floor plan, it's the older style where you enter house and you have 3 paths, left to dining, up to 2nd floor or right to living room and kitchen in the back,

i really can't complain tho, in 3 months comparable houses (literally 2min radius) are already at least 640 and avg 750k now, from the 500k when i bought, market is still crazy

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was mostly that we were looking for something under 1500sqft, and nearly all of them just had bad floorplans where things like the master bath seemed super cramped, or the closet was tiny. With this one, everything looks super spacious. It's all about the layout and this was is mostly good.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
It was mostly that we were looking for something under 1500sqft, and nearly all of them just had bad floorplans where things like the master bath seemed super cramped, or the closet was tiny. With this one, everything looks super spacious. It's all about the layout and this was is mostly good.
Yeah. My old house and my new house are almost the same size, but the new one has 2.5 floors vs 2, so the rooms are a bit smaller than the old one. It has charm, which the other one lacked, so this I feel is a good trade. Only drawback...I had a huge 3 car garage and an 1800 sq ft shop at the old house, new house has a European 2 car garage only. Everything I need is exactly 1 mile away...shopping and bank and pharmacy, so I feel like this is also a good trade. Also, neighbor only on one side of the house, and that's the garage side...also a good thing.

Current owners took excellent care of the house and it got all new flooring and appliances 2 years ago. Good thing I jumped on it despite not quite having everything I wanted, because I had the feeling no other good houses would come up until the next prime buying season, and I was right. Nothing interesting has hit the market in 3 weeks, and I for sure didn't cotton to staying in a rental all winter.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
May have a problem with my new home approvals, looks like my neighbor may try to contest me because he thinks my home will ruin his view. It's just nuts to think that someone would try to control a property they don't own to preserve a view they don't own. And it's not egregious he is over 600ft away from me and over 50' higher in elevation.

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users