Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Are the people who own these homes all landlords? Where do the gangbangers and welfare queens who live in Compton coming up with $600k purchase prices?

Most of the time you are looking at generational homes, meaning the family has been living in those homes for decades, it's being passed down from grandparents, to parents, to children. They may have bought the home 60 years ago for $30,000, but now of course it's too expensive to live anywhere else, and even if they sold the home they can't afford to move anywhere else in LA, they would have to leave the state (which many are doing).

[EDIT] I will add that's not entirely true about not being able to afford LA. Funny story - after 2008 when housing prices started coming up, homes in Compton were about 400k to 500k. A lot of them sold back then and moved to Antelope Valley, which is an insufferable shithole in the middle of the high desert. Homes in AV were going for about 200k for a 2000 sq. ft. home at the time. What happened is when the gangbangers moved out of Compton to AV, they brought the violence with them. Gang violence in AV is at an all time high, all the schools went to shit, etc. You would never really want to live in AV, but now you REALLY don't want to.

Last edited:

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem is that in places like California, that home would be located in Compton and cost $800,000.

Sure, you can say don't live in a shithole like Cali, and I would agree with you, but it's the same in most major cities whether you are talking about Boston, New York, etc. So for people tied to jobs in major metropolitan areas, home ownership is just not going to be in the cards. Sometimes I'm truly amazed how people can even afford housing in Los Angeles where a one bedroom condo goes for $500,000.
Prices for starter homes suck everywhere just not as bad as Cali

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
ToeMissile ToeMissile

Both the homes you quoted are smaller than the one Lanx posted, so it's not really a direct comparison, but I'll humor you.

The $625k home you quoted is 825 sq feet, and is selling for $759/sq ft.

The $370k home you quoted is 504 sq feet, and is selling for $734/sq. ft.

So let's split the difference, in your favor, and say the average home in Compton sells for $740/ sq. ft.

Then a home like the one Lanx linked, at 1,076 sq ft, would sell for 1,076 x 740 = $796,240, or about $800k.

It's almost like I know the LA real estate market. Almost.
I just filtered for Compton, under $800k, under 1k sqft and linked the highest and lowest priced homes; but I get your point.

I’d be curious to see prices per sqft by zip code mapped out.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Prices for starter homes suck everywhere just not as bad as Cali

Yeah. Part of the problem is people leaving Cali and NYC and driving up prices everywhere. See: Idaho.

Also Plano is really nice, probably the best area near Dallas if you ask me. It’s also somewhere people actually want to live, unlike Compton.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I closed on my starter home in southern California a couple weeks ago. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car connected garage, 1.5k square feet priced at ~$330 sq. foot. I've put quite a bit of work into it but it wasn't really being sold as a "fixer-upper;" it was liveable, if dated. This is about an hour outside of LA in an area that doesn't have any gang violence, either. It's still not "affordable" compared to other states but it's certainly more reasonable than LA proper.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I closed on my starter home in southern California a couple weeks ago. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car connected garage, 1.5k square feet priced at ~$330 sq. foot. I've put quite a bit of work into it but it wasn't really being sold as a "fixer-upper;" it was liveable, if dated. This is about an hour outside of LA in an area that doesn't have any gang violence, either. It's still not "affordable" compared to other states but it's certainly more reasonable than LA proper.
An hour with or without traffic? :D

• 1Worf

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
who can even afford to go into LA anymore
81b74a1420159c45b31a5cb292e9cbde.png

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
But why Cali at all?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i walk by this house almost everyday, they have a PODS right outside, i'm guessing b/c they've been staging the house all this time
0d10405a738e508394c659f792157ff8.png

literally any other month? it would probably sell just fine,
this is a google image
030192bd74bb3aa79f3f4e028a1e1198.jpg

but the HOA fucked them, b/c the pond looks like shit, it looks like there is scum and alge floating on top,(not this pic, this is old pic) in fact the fucking geese hang around the lake, it's so nasty

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This thread is depressing, I remember buying my house in South Jersey in 2016 for 130k and it was a 1700 sq footer that was recently completely updated with new flooring, walls, the whole 9 yards. Then I bought my house in Florida in 2019. It was brand new construction 1300 sq foot for 192k. A lot can change in 3-6 years.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a freelancer in television so I pretty much have to be near LA. Although what I do specifically is full remote, I need to be around LA for networking purposes.
So you hang out at the local Starbucks all day with your laptop open?

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Jesus Opendoor must have some truly retarded people working for it. They bought another house on my street 3 weeks ago for $445k and have already relisted for $425k.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
What do you do that requires your physical presence in LA?

Networking, he said. Kinda hard to suck dick if said dick is far away.

Exactly this. My day-to-day work is full remote, but in my industry, you don't get hired off of resumes; you only get hired off of recommendations. Gigs tend to last 6-8 months before I need a new one, so I have to keep up with sucking dick until I get to a place where I will get a steady stream of gigs to my inbox without needing to leave my house. (I'm just shy of three years in the industry.)