Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
HOAs are just a daily reminder that city people* don't understand or appreciate freedom.

Imagine thinking its normal or OK for someone else to tell you what to do with your property, or thinking you wish you had a committee to help you tell your neighbor what he has to do on his property. Fucking bizarro world.

(yes, city people. suburb people are just city people who can afford to move out of the shittier parts)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here where it rains 60" + a year it's almost impossible to cut the yard too low. If you do in 5 minutes it's grown up and time to cut again. People more likely to get the HOA to tell people to cut their grass 3 times a week.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
HOAs are just a daily reminder that city people* don't understand or appreciate freedom.

Imagine thinking its normal or OK for someone else to tell you what to do with your property, or thinking you wish you had a committee to help you tell your neighbor what he has to do on his property. Fucking bizarro world.

(yes, city people. suburb people are just city people who can afford to move out of the shittier parts)
It's an agreement that you enter into when you buy a house to keep up standards to keep property/resale value high. You don't have to buy in a area with HOAs, it's a fucking choice.

My parents are in a area where half the huge development is in an HOA and half isn't. It is a noticeable difference when driving from one side to the other. The area without an HOA has fences falling down and rotting, paint flaking/chipping off garage doors/siding, and vehicles/trailers that have flat tires and look like they haven't moved in a year+ (not to mention the occasional unkept yard and overgrown bushes). This all makes a difference when you go to sell your house, and potential buyers are driving past all your trashy neighbors before they get to your house.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It's hilarious watching FOH age. 15 years ago, it was all "Fuck HOA's," now half of you are on the fucking boards.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd rather deal with a faggy HOA than a faggy neighbor with 6 cars parked on the street.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'd rather deal with a faggy HOA than a faggy neighbor with 6 cars parked on the street.
yea especially i'm more of a transient home owner, it'd be easier to file a complaint rather than bring a neighbor to reason. i mean so far i had nice neighbors and i can't even say it's cuz the house pricing cuz 2 of the neighbors are renters

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

Why does it bother you what your neighbor does?

My neighbor has a bike sitting next to their garage. It's been there so long a fucking tree grew thru the frame. I told them about it about 6 years ago and they said "Oh shit, we didn't even notice."

They cut the fucking tree down, left the bike there.

Guess what grew back?

Shit's fucking hilarious, and I couldn't care less about it, because it's not my problem. Half of you guys are in the 'rona thread too and all about people not enforcing rules on you, but you're totally good with it here.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

My neighbor has a bike sitting next to their garage. It's been there so long a fucking tree grew thru the frame. I told them about it about 6 years ago and they said "Oh shit, we didn't even notice."

Guess what grew back?

Shit's fucking hilarious, and I couldn't care less about it, because it's not my problem. Half of you guys are in the 'rona thread too and all about people not enforcing rules on you, but you're totally good with it here.
Odds are you have never had a really shitty next door neighbor.

Goatface

only thing that really annoys me is yard dogs. my town/county still allows them to be chained year around. there are 2 in my neighborhood in tiny ass 6'x6' kennels.
one shitty guy had a st bernard chained up about 100 yards from his house, only went out there to feed/water once a day. he sold the house and left the dog.

• 6Rustled
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 6 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
only thing that really annoys me is yard dogs. my town/county still allows them to be chained year around. there are 2 in my neighborhood in tiny ass 6'x6' kennels.
one shitty guy had a st bernard chained up about 100 yards from his house, only went out there to feed/water once a day. he sold the house and left the dog.
What an absolute piece of shit.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Guess what grew back?

Because I don't like it when I have to weave out of cars because assholes park 3 cars on each side of the street in a typical neighborhood street. If it was just on their shit I wouldn't care.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Because I don't like it when I have to weave out of cars because assholes park 3 cars on each side of the street in a typical neighborhood street. If it was just on their shit I wouldn't care.

Illegal to park on the street from 3am to 6am. Easy fix that doesn't require Karen to monitor your mowing habits

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I’ve had really annoying neighbors, I’ve bitched about their chickens for years. When I moved I never considered an HOA, fuck that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Illegal to park on the street from 3am to 6am. Easy fix that doesn't require Karen to monitor your mowing habits
Cops haven't enforced that on their own in over a year at my old place. Ol' Karen makes damn sure they're gone at my new bougie place.

I mean, for my old neighborhood it was getting stupid. The main thoroughfare street through the area had almost 2 dozen 18 wheelers parked on it over about a 4 mile stretch at any given time. As these drivers lived in the neighborhood. Cops didn't do shit because it was a "public street" and they'd only come tow anything if you called them relentlessly until they did on the residential streets. My street had 12+ extra cars that couldn't fit in driveways parked on it at any given time.

This area started out as reasonably priced but due to other developments in Austin every house in my old neighborhood is 350-450+ now (under 180 when I bought there in 2016).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Around the Dallas area, north TX they have shrink swell clay soils. Summer it dries out real bad and you get large cracks in the sooil that look like that first concrete pic. Then when it rains a lot they swell back up and close. They used to have a lot of foundation issues. Not sure if they changed how they do the foundation on homes there eventually. I know 20-25+ years ago it was a common thing to have issues.
All home slabs in n. TX are post tensioned now. Brick work has expansion joints to allow the home to flex. Those post tension rods are 33,000 psi so don't ever let anyone cut into your foundation. I've heard of contractors hitting and cutting those rods. You can imagine the damage a steel cable under 33,000 psi can do when relieved of that pressure....

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Shopping for home still sucks, but at least they are dropping 1-2% every week now. Lost out on a nice house, but it was the best on the area so it had all the goons trying to out bid each other.