Home buying thread

Nija

<Silver Donator>
We almost rented a house on the end of that peninsula to the west (think it was North Shore Dr). Absolutely gorgeous home with a view of the bay. Someone else snaked it before us though.

Also saw Amber Mariano (Survivor winner and wife of Boston Rob) at the Publix right there.
That Publix is the best grocery store I've ever been in. Don't know who those people are, but I was there like 5 times that week buying groceries.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The one in Perdido Key? Seemed like a normal Publix to me.

Best grocery stores I've ever been to were a Publix in Sarasota, an Albertson's somewhere near Jackson Hole, and there was one in San Diego I can't remember which chain, but it was immaculate.

And Amber and Boston Rob were both on Survivor. Then met on Survivor: All Stars, aligned, fell in love, and she won the show, and he proposed to her at the finale.. Think he's been on Survivor like 6 times, and her I think 5 times? They also did The Amazing Race together. And apparently Amazing Race: All Stars. They're like reality show royalty I guess.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
The one in Perdido Key? Seemed like a normal Publix to me.

Best grocery stores I've ever been to were a Publix in Sarasota, an Albertson's somewhere near Jackson Hole, and there was one in San Diego I can't remember which chain, but it was immaculate.

And Amber and Boston Rob were both on Survivor. Then met on Survivor: All Stars, aligned, fell in love, and she won the show, and he proposed to her at the finale.. Think he's been on Survivor like 6 times, and her I think 5 times? They also did The Amazing Race together. And apparently Amazing Race: All Stars. They're like reality show royalty I guess.
Almost everything in Sarasota is nice, unless you’re new Newtown. Yuck.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Of course not, but under hyperinflation you get to pay your fixed debt with monopoly money.
He is arguing that certain people we don't notice will lobby heavily for a "cost of living adjustment" except one that retroactively fits our mortgages to current inflation rates.

Only to help us of course.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I did it twice in as many years.
At least for us, we decided to dump most of our furniture in NY because moving costs were astronomical. So for almost all the furniture it was new and delivered. But I had forgotten how much of a pain all the other shit is to deal with.

Make a list, go to Home Depot, but all the shit on the list, get home and then minutes start a new list.

Fucker

Log Wizard
At least for us, we decided to dump most of our furniture in NY because moving costs were astronomical. So for almost all the furniture it was new and delivered. But I had forgotten how much of a pain all the other shit is to deal with.

Make a list, go to Home Depot, but all the shit on the list, get home and then minutes start a new list.
What's even worse is I lightened the load 2x before the move. I moved once 10+ years ago and brought ALL my shit. It was cheap then so nbd. Years after that, I had a giant garage sale and moved essentially enough to fully outfit a medium sized house. And then a year before another move had another garage sale AND gave away a lot of oak furniture. Left with just some furniture.

Got to the new state and figured buy new. No good retailers because no one wanted to compete with Nebraska Furniture Mart. All they sell is junk, stinky pressboard veneer shit from Vietnam...I can still smell the formaldehyde. Nasty overpriced shit. The so-called higher end places sold mostly the same shit, but at much higher prices. The exact chair I bought was $3k more than what I paid.

Moved to different state. Here, no shortage of high quality locally made items at solid prices.

But yeah, moving sucks ass. Last year, the crew was delayed by a few days on top of having to drive all the way up themselves AND a guy quit before they left. Labor shortage was at its peak and they couldn't find a single person to help them unload. Two guys to unload a truck packed with shit. I jumped in and helped. 8 hours of fucking misery because this was a 5 person job done by 2.5 guys. If I didn't help, they would have been here till midnight and then drive 600 miles back to do another contract. Fucking hell. I'm in good shape, but sure as shit not the kind of shape to be moving piles of heavy shit around for 8 hours.

One guy was 20's and fit, the other 30's and fit and they were hitting the wall pretty hard 6 hours in. Previous move had two 40-50 y/o burnout drunks on the move crew, and let me tell ya, that was the culmination of a very long series of incredibly poor life choices on their part. Humping boxes is hard at 30, must have been murder at 50 and trying to burn off a hangover on top of it. Fuck all for pay, too. $15 an hour or thereabouts.

Next move in 2 yearsish, will be easy because local. Going to be done room by room, fuck this packing shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We got rid of almost everything in our move from CA to FL. Which in retrospect was kind of a mistake due to the everything shortage. But we managed.

Decided to start building stuff like a bed frame and headboard. Instead of paying $100 for a particle board piece of shit, now I have something made of wood that'll last forever for the same price.

Shame I can't build appliances myself.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We got rid of almost everything in our move from CA to FL. Which in retrospect was kind of a mistake due to the everything shortage. But we managed.

Decided to start building stuff like a bed frame and headboard. Instead of paying $100 for a particle board piece of shit, now I have something made of wood that'll last forever for the same price.

Shame I can't build appliances myself.

Now that's just not true

toy-wooden-washboard-house-play_2085_thumb.jpg

dd5f9640bed3b5e332f4dea0f9c74a37.jpg

85ee2fb6afbe4836a38afa4a79e1615e.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 3 users

Vinen

God is dead
That Publix is the best grocery store I've ever been in. Don't know who those people are, but I was there like 5 times that week buying groceries.

FL Publix are quite nice. But you're grocery store choices are generally shit.

Wegmans is hands down the best most consistent grocery store I've been to.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've moved every 5ish years, the company pays for everything so theres no reason no to not move everything, but that also means my hording tendacies don't get checked

like i still have this outdated tower case
5f4ead8760158701a139e537875c673c.png

(mine is a bit different, flipped 180 the other way and can hold 8 hdds

i like it, but it's not "modern" by any means

my last move i packed half of my shit (even tho they also provide a free packing service) into 27 gallon totes and thats worked well, like i have 2x2 27gallon totes of college txt books, ha