Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So instead of getting the radiator valves, we had our brother just completely shut off one radiator in each bedroom (2 each), he said it should help. Last night it did seem way less hot upstairs, so I have hopes. We will see.

Previously downstairs was 68 and upstairs was 80,last night it seemed to be 68 and 74

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Temperatures should never be lower than 75. Hell is a cold place. I hate winter, it's been lower than 60 here several days in a row!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Going to put a utility sink in the basement. Have a 4 inch sch 40 coming out of slab for stack. It ok to use a pipe saddle in residential? I really don't want to fuck up this pipe going into slab

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Going to put a utility sink in the basement. Have a 4 inch sch 40 coming out of slab for stack. It ok to use a pipe saddle in residential? I really don't want to fuck up this pipe going into slab
No idea but whatever you do try to do it far enough away from the wall to leave plenty of room for a coupler if needed.

Picasso3

Will do, i think as long as i tie in within 8 feet of the stack it's direct vent and I'm fine, going to cut out enough to fernco in a 4x4x2 tee with the fernco closest to the slab

Picasso3

I know the 2 inch goes to kitchen and the 3 inch to 4 inch picks up the rest of the house.. the 1.5 goes up through the second floor on a wall with only a double sink group on the 2nd floor. Would they have run a separate 1.5 through a floor instead of tying it in to the toilet stack? I'm hoping the 1.5 is a vent.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know the 2 inch goes to kitchen and the 3 inch to 4 inch picks up the rest of the house.. the 1.5 goes up through the second floor on a wall with only a double sink group on the 2nd floor. Would they have run a separate 1.5 through a floor instead of tying it in to the toilet stack? I'm hoping the 1.5 is a vent.
that picture rotation...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Since everyone was talking about the Nest, did you see where they pushed an update and it broke for many people. The fix was to take it off the wall and connect it via USB to a computer for an update. LOL, I read a lot of people just put a $25 thermostat back up. People were waking up in the middle of the night cold with no heat.

Empty Nest: Glitch Disables Smart Thermostats Nationwide - NBC News

Nest thermostat bug leaves users cold - BBC News

"We are aware of a software bug impacting some Nest Thermostat owners. In some cases, this may cause the device to respond slowly or become unresponsive. We are working on a solution that we expect to roll out in thecoming weeks," it said in a statement.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's the unfortunate side effect of having a device like that running on software with updates. Can they not roll back?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Why would they roll out an update in the dead of winter? For that matter, don't roll an update in ass crack of summer either.

Qerero

Golden Knight of the Realm
We just moved last weekend into a 100-year old fixer upper. Good times ahead! We're already doing basement finishing and the third floor, demo finishes today. Plenty more to do after that.

This house has a tankless hot water system, which I was happy about, but I'm not sure about it in practice. Hot water takes forever to flow in most of the house, and the thing sounds like a car engine every time I turn on a hot water tap. I'm not sure if the unit just isn't very good/working well, or if that just comes with the territory. A quick google tells me both things can be pretty normal so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Probably better than our tank system. Takes a good 10 minutes sometimes to heat up. Might be on the way out. Will be looking at tankless next.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Aren't you only supposed to deviate temps by like 7 degrees or something or it starts becoming more costly to reheat the home than you saved by cranking it down?
55 at night, 63 during the day, always warmer than that because we assist with a wood stove. The stove keeps the part of the house that we use most (dining, kitchen, and family rooms) very warm. Bedrooms, basement, living room, and so forth stay cold. It not only saves money, it keeps my family in the room together rather than languishing alone in their rooms. Nice side bonus.
smile.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Aren't you only supposed to deviate temps by like 7 degrees or something or it starts becoming more costly to reheat the home than you saved by cranking it down?
Thermo-dynamically that doesn't really make sense. The cooler your house is, the less heat loss there is. So the cooler the average temperature of your house, the less energy you're going to use. It might take more energy to go from the setback to the normal temperature, but that would be more than offset by the reduced consumption when it's set back. I'd say the main concern with having a setback of more than half a dozen degrees F or so is that depending on the weather and how your heating system is sized relative to the structure's heat loss, it could well take hours for the house to become comfortable again.

Qerero_sl said:
This house has a tankless hot water system, which I was happy about, but I'm not sure about it in practice. Hot water takes forever to flow in most of the house, and the thing sounds like a car engine every time I turn on a hot water tap. I'm not sure if the unit just isn't very good/working well, or if that just comes with the territory. A quick google tells me both things can be pretty normal so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
It really depends on how close the tankless heater is to your faucets, and how things are piped in your house. The heaters really are near instantaneous in terms of heating water. The problem with delays is due to the piping between the heater and the faucet. If it's on the far side of the house from your kitchen and there's a big 1" line that feeds most of your house that needs to have the cool, stagnant water cleared out first, it's going to take a long time before the water coming out of the faucet is warm. Again, depending how the water is piped in your house, you could potentially add a recirculation pump that will continually keep the water moving and warm. That of course comes with an energy cost both to run the pump (it should be tiny, but it's running all the time, or perhaps on a timer, so it adds up) and increased energy consumption of the heater as it will periodically turn on to keep the temperature up.

Qerero

Golden Knight of the Realm
It really depends on how close the tankless heater is to your faucets, and how things are piped in your house. The heaters really are near instantaneous in terms of heating water. The problem with delays is due to the piping between the heater and the faucet. If it's on the far side of the house from your kitchen and there's a big 1" line that feeds most of your house that needs to have the cool, stagnant water cleared out first, it's going to take a long time before the water coming out of the faucet is warm. Again, depending how the water is piped in your house, you could potentially add a recirculation pump that will continually keep the water moving and warm. That of course comes with an energy cost both to run the pump (it should be tiny, but it's running all the time, or perhaps on a timer, so it adds up) and increased energy consumption of the heater as it will periodically turn on to keep the temperature up.
Yeah thanks, makes sense. The heater is in the basement and while the house isn't huge I can believe that the piping is not ideal for the tankless system. The shower seems fastest, which makes sense given what you said about clearing the cold water out first.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well regardless of tankless or tanked, you're kind of screwed in that regard. Obviously Noodle needs to at least replace the coils, though.