Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Recessed lights with attic access are easy. Get a correct sized hole saw and insulation contact and air tight rated remodel housing.

It needs permitted but i wouldn't fuck with it. They may tell you your shit is wrong and hazardous and who needs that?

Picasso3

Hanging and finishing drywall currently ranks as the only thing i confidently hire out if it's over a few sheets because
A) they'll do a better job
B) they're cheap
C) they'll be done in about a tenth the time and it's a critical path item

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
y'all are crazy. I find hanging drywall to be incredibly easy. I'm quick, too. I've hung over 150 sheets in my current house, and I can't imagine paying someone to do it.

Then again, there's virtually nothing I pay people to do for me. I have the time and tools, I'll do it myself.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Recessed lights with attic access are easy. Get a correct sized hole saw and insulation contact and air tight rated remodel housing.

It needs permitted but i wouldn't fuck with it. They may tell you your shit is wrong and hazardous and who needs that?
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or what. I'm just basing my comment on what I've read, as it seems most people go with the "fuck getting it permitted" argument. Is it a pretty painless process?

Picasso3

It usually is here, so much that it seems like a waste of time because they don't care anyway, you just put yourself on the radar for a property tax increase.

Permit it and see how it goes for you. I was being sarcastic about putting people in danger because most of the shit i do in this thread makes the respective professionals cringe.

Picasso3

y'all are crazy. I find hanging drywall to be incredibly easy. I'm quick, too. I've hung over 150 sheets in my current house, and I can't imagine paying someone to do it.

Then again, there's virtually nothing I pay people to do for me. I have the time and tools, I'll do it myself.
150 sheets.. prob 5 or 6k labor. Meanwhile if you call in a gc to redo a 5x5 bathroom to the studs he'll quote you 15k with a 2 dollar tile budget.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I'll take the 5 or 6K and put it into the bathroom I'll also do myself. =)

I'm contemplating a big project. I currently have a few largish sheds and a good sized out building garage. I keep my tractor, lawn equipment, fire wood, and so forth in these buildings. Some are getting pretty shoddy, and they don't look great as they're all different eras and styles and so forth.

I think I'm going to remedy this by building a single out building that is 40 x 80 feet footprint, 16 foot ceiling. Shallow form foundation, double thick wall, wood stove heat, air conditioned. There would be a car/bike shop area that could also function as a paint shop (I dabble), all my woodworking tools would be in a big area, and a big area for tractor, lawn tractor, ATV, etc. It would be about 300 yards from the house, decent roadway connecting it to the main drive. I have a plan to get this finished inside of one year, then excavate the other buildings, and make a level area that will be garden in summer, hockey rink in winter.

My wife thinks it's a terrible idea to put all these things in one building. She wants one building for the vehicles, one for the tools and shit. What do you guys think? One building of glory, or two buildings of lesser glory? (I know it's hard to see my perspective...)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One building most likely.

I'm not sure why I would want to go 300 yards for some of that though?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Hanging drywall eh... I've done my share in the past few years, had to do the one man boards (60cm x 260cm) because full size (125cm x 200cm) are no fun when working alone. I don't know the exact number but upwards of 300 sounds right.

Tried doing the mudding but I fucked up and in the end had a pro do it.

Props to that guy carrying a full size all alone, I've moved a few when we did the first floor, shit's heavy.

Floory I agree are easy, just take your time.

Now painting the walls and ceilings, we've done ourselves, and it looks like shit. For the 2nd floor we had pros do it on the side and it's 100x better. I think overall we paid ?450 plus whatever the paint cost.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
My wife thinks it's a terrible idea to put all these things in one building. She wants one building for the vehicles, one for the tools and shit. What do you guys think? One building of glory, or two buildings of lesser glory? (I know it's hard to see my perspective...)
I am not a guy but I like the idea of one building esp. with heat/cooling. Plus, you would be easier to locate if you were required in the main house.

I think I would alarm it or put some type of security (cameras etc) on it though.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I am not a guy but I like the idea of one building esp. with heat/cooling. Plus, you would be easier to locate if you were required in the main house.

I think I would alarm it or put some type of security (cameras etc) on it though.
I like the one building for similar reasons. We don't have a house alarm either, and our deadbolt on the front door hasn't worked for about 5 years. Our house is never locked, but I'd worry more about the outbuilding, honestly. Though I may be falsely secure in my lack of fear. I'm getting a new entry door in about a month, and we're putting new locks/deadbolts on every entry to the house. I'll probably do the same on the outbuilding.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK roofers, need to know what to do with this. Have a rear area that used to be a patio is now a full room and while the roof is brand new, the side walls of the house are not well sealed and I want to put soffit under the overhang. What can I buy/use to do this?

rrr_img_129435.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That is exactly the type of material you need. The best thing you can do is go to Lowe's (or your favourite store that isn't Menards because they're all idiots) and find someone who knows what they are talking about. It's not hard, actually, Lowe's hires ex-contractors, and they are happy to share their knowledge for the most part.

But, a short primer: You need to enclose all your wood with aluminum. It requires f-trim that will hold perforated soffit in place. Look here for a basic diagram:
Soffit and Fascia Repair Replacement | (608) 271-9810

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK that's the piece I couldn't find on the site. That seems really cheap and easy to do then.

Will my tin snips be fine to trim to size you think?