Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I only have center cut but am I missing something in how the material is laid out or would one side cut be good enough, just go at it the opposite direction for the other cut?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You will find when cutting this material that the multiple cut approaches are very welcome. It's possible to do it all with centre cut. I wouldn't, and it's not that expensive to get all three.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You will find when cutting this material that the multiple cut approaches are very welcome. It's possible to do it all with centre cut. I wouldn't, and it's not that expensive to get all three.
OK that's fair, it does seem to have odd shapes. Honestly this seems deceptively cheap to do? I only have about 35 linear feet to do.

OH crap, corners though...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also, anyone done gutters? Any thoughts on vinyl vs aluminum? We don't get a lot of rain but when it does it tends to drench. Want to install gutters on the rear of my house to keep the water away from part of the foundation.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Gutters is something I will actually hire out. Get the seamless guys to come out and hang them. Done super fast, no seams, angled just as they should be.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
OK roofers, need to know what to do with this. Have a rear area that used to be a patio is now a full room and while the roof is brand new, the side walls of the house are not well sealed and I want to put soffit under the overhang. What can I buy/use to do this?

rrr_img_129435.jpg
You need F-channel to nail against the house to hold the one end of the soffit. Nail the soffit itself to the bottom of the face board and then get pre-made 6" or 8" aluminum fascia that you nail on the face board to cover the exposed end of the soffit. The fascia will have a one inch "L" bend that covers the end of the soffit. The top of the fascia should get tucked under the roof drip edge.

As for gutters get a contractor with a seamless gutter mill to install them. Never go plastic. Around my area you can get 5" K-style seamless gutters for $7-9 per foot plus downspouts.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Julian,

Any feeling on adding weep holes into a basement to help facilitate water drainage into a french drain?

I think I'm going to do that, but wanted another opinion before I started making holes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You need F-channel to nail against the house to hold the one end of the soffit. Nail the soffit itself to the bottom of the face board and then get pre-made 6" or 8" aluminum fascia that you nail on the face board to cover the exposed end of the soffit. The fascia will have a one inch "L" bend that covers the end of the soffit. The top of the fascia should get tucked under the roof drip edge.

As for gutters get a contractor with a seamless gutter mill to install them. Never go plastic. Around my area you can get 5" K-style seamless gutters for $7-9 per foot plus downspouts.
Yea my only problem is none of the house has a fake fascia, not sure how it would look to do the fascia board. I think I'm going to contact some gutter people though because I have an odd problem with pitch and interior corners where I'm not sure what I can really do to run them.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
send us a better picture of the whole environment so we can better assist you faggot
Tomorrow afternoon I will get a bunch of photos. I surveyed the back yard to start planning for the landscape projects today.

On the list for this next year or two:

1) clean up grass/weeds (doing this this weekend)
2) regrade several areas that seem to have excess landscaping/construction material just deposited from years ago (hopefully done this weekend)
3) remove a cactus and a shrub (hopefully done this weekend)
4) redoing entire pool decking (begins next week)
5) running conduit underground to far side of yard for circuit that goes to 6 (probably start to trench this weekend)
6) installing 8x8 or 10x10 paver patio area on far side of the pool where I will (have to wait to match new pool surface to pick these out)
7) construct tiki style pergola/hut with bar surface
8) build brick housing for built-in grill and mini-fridge
9) run drainage from inside corner that will connect future downspout and AC run-off piping out to new area
10) turning 15x7 area into mini-french drain area for storm water and pool filter backwash.
11) take up and redo 200 sq feet paver patio with new pavers
12) put in new paver walkways (1 to garage, 1 to new firepit area below, 1 to tiki hut/pergola bar/grill, 1 to side of house with patio going to master bedroom)
13) install pool shower on master bedroom patio around side of house
14) install new built-in firepit or fireplace and benches
15) add border stone and about 100 sq feet of fake grass for dog to play on and color accents against the xeriscaping
16) put in 3 palm trees

And fuck ya'll haters, needs me a god damned tropical oasis!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I bought a power washer last week. Holy god I love this thing. Our back patio is all concrete & stone, and hadn't been cleaned in at least the 5 years we've lived here(and probably a lot longer than that) Shit looks brand new again, I had no idea it was even as dirty as it was. It was just dark grey concrete all over beforehand. No biggie, looked like concrete. The amount of black sludge that the power washer blew off was just mind boggling, concrete is almost white now, looks like it was just poured yesterday.

Best $200 I've spent in a long time...next project is the siding on the house(I hate that we have white siding, gets dirty as hell)