Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you have the front supported and it's all shear then not a big deal. Cantilever they'll pop eventually.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Drywall anchors are those giant plastic screws, right? Pretty sure I didn't see those.

The fronts are not supported. Is that typical in closet shelving and hangars, seems like that would get in the way. Define eventually. I have no idea when they were put up, but we've been here at least 3 years.

Ugh, makes me want to go check the rest of their shelving. I can understand things like painting or mirrors being in drywall(and done properly), but wouldn't you put shelving supports in the studs?

Picasso3

The typical wire shelving kits such as rubbermaid will include drywall anchors and front posts. I don't like them but they do make a sturdier shelf quicker so when looks don't matter the front support is a good choice. I wouldn't worry about it if they're holding fine, in my experience they'll fail kinda slowly and just let the shelf tilt, if you're just holding clothes who cares. You can see the edge of the anchor around the screwhead typically, I'll be pretty amazed if they're up without anchors. Is your house plaster, maybe?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Deck looks good, quick question though, and I guess this is in general to folks with wooden decks...are you installing anti-slip on the treads? I ripped the wooden deck out of my garden as it was like a fucking ice rink when wet. If I pressure washed it I got a few months of it being fine then, after being rained on a bunch, back to broken hip central. Mine wasn't built by me and was made using those ribbed decking planks rather than planed timber though.
Not getting sun to burn that shit off in half a day is usually why it stays slick.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, I'm sure it's drywall. I was in there recently for hanging a tv and running cat5e, I could see the seems between sheets in some places(decorative wood wall on top of it). I'm also sure I'm an idiot and may have measured the studs wrong. Maybe my finder found something else magnetic between the support posts.

I realize now I've been saying shelves(which is correct for the horribly crooked things I referenced first, but they have front supports) when I meant drawers. See what I mean by idiot? But either way, whatever they are, the all "hang" off those metal square posts that are screwed into the wall. Gonna double check all of them tonight. Is it a safe bet that an outlet next to a stud?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Christ that's amazing. I want to know who built it. For electric in there I think mount a mattress spring on the wall hook it up to an extension cord from the house, then for what you want to turn on you throw the wire into the box spring, neutral to the junk car outside.
My buddy's neighbor built an addition to his house that looks as shitty as the images in that album. It started as a sun shade... then it kept mutating ... a wall here, floor there. Roof that's pretty much parallel with the ground. A bedroom door for the outside.

I can taste the diminished value of their houses.

I should go over and take pictures.

Picasso3

About a month, random weekends and evenings.

No thanks on hearing flaws atm. I have numerous people that love to come ask bitch questions like "why did you put a gap here?" or "why didn't you make this straight".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
About a month, random weekends and evenings.

No thanks on hearing flaws atm. I have numerous people that love to come ask bitch questions like "why did you put a gap here?" or "why didn't you make this straight".
Is your answer always "Trust me, I'm an engineer"?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I've decided to do a full kitchen reno and am going to attempt the flooring and cabinets myself. I'm relatively handy and pretty confident I can do it without much issue. My question is about permitting and the electric/plumbing work(if needed). While I know that permitting tends to vary state to state(and county to county), I assume it's something I should definitely do properly? Do you usually need permits for the demo work or can I just tear that shit out? I guess I should call my city building department...

Picasso3

Permits are not a bad idea, however there is always the potential of getting a stupid asshole and having problems. I have only actually gotten a permit twice, once by force and once because I was upgrading my electrical service and had to to get the power company to hook me back up, and neither were bad, it was just the fee to them.

But lay everything out first and see what you're going to move. If you sit down at lowes or hd they'll come up with a nice cabinet drawing for free as well. Just have a complete plan.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Depending on the age of your house, not necessarily a permit but I would definitely get a pro to do your electrical shit. There is just so many codes that one has to know to do this shit properly and safely. And codes are constantly getting upgraded and changed. The plumbing shit is all rudimentary and I would not bother (plus its easy to check, Is it leaking? No? Good to go!), unless youre like moving venting or major waste stacks in your walls.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Word. I'm in the planning stage at this point. Will make sure I have the entire design covered before I wreak carnage on it!

Picasso3

If you have an opportunity to recess the fridge about 4" that was one of the best things I worked out in my remodel. That way you don't have to pay double for a counter depth fridge and you have more space, only at the expense of framing out a header in a wall.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If there's a better place to ask this point me in the direction, but this seemed as appropriate as any.

I'm thinking of building a pantry, or larder, something similar to this:Mottisfont Painted Larder Unit | Oak Furniture Solutions

But obviously not that nice since I have no construction skills whatsoever. Basic question, is SketchUp kind of the go to place to rough out dimensions and materials? Feel like I could handle this if I could get a good grasp on the ummm... visualization of it. Don't know how to explain that.

edit: I found something even better!plans build alans larder cabinet

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Spoilered for size. So my house isn't quite done, I very specifically told them I was worried about drainage of the driveway since it was steep. They just poured the driveway two days ago and we had a big storm the day after so I went to check it. Yeah not thrilled at all. All that being said to the left of the picture as you face it there is a large pile of dirt that isn't helping the situation. Once that moves it will be better but I still don't see it working out well. I really wanted an 8" grate across the entire driveway to drain out.

TwpuLSz.jpg