Home Improvement

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
That fucking plumbing in Convos basement is an abomination. Enjoy your sewer gasses every time someone uses the sink.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm more worried about the lead pipe that's connected to it. Think I should probably dig that area up and replace. Why did they use lead again?!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had a 4" cast iron system that was leaking somewhere under the slab so I trenched up all the pipes in the basement and re ran to tap outside. The cast iron was in great shape and my problem was a piece of 1.5" galvanized elbow that had rusted out about 2 inches below the slab which I got to last because I started from outside to find where it went in the house. It was in terrible shape above slab and needed to be moved anyway so i really kicked myself in the ass for that one.

Lesson learned: start where you know you need to replace and keep going if you need to. Big difference between sawing out 4 sq ft and replacing a 1.5" pipe 4 inches deep and getting into a 4" heavy ass pipe thats 4' below the slab for 20 ft of basement.

Circ saw with a $40 diamond blade and a sledge and you can probably get that sink drain over into the wall where you can run it up and have a hope of venting it correctly in a day. Unless you dig down to a pipe you can't work with, then you're ruined.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really don't know much about it all. I should attempt a DIY, it can't be that bad, but I have a few plumber friends and sometimes it's just easier letting the pros do it, heh

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So for those of you like P Picasso3 are you just teaching yourself all this stuff? Or is it something you learned. I've gotta say you guys have done some awesome shit, minus the kitchen cabinets falling off the wall :p

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
For my kitchen, it was all self-taught/researched over the internet. 90% of the stuff we did was the first time I had done it on my own. It came out pretty well, but I feel like I would do much better on my next kitchen, knowing what I know now. I always prefer to know how to do things on my own, though(cars, computers, etc), so I really enjoyed learning and figuring it out.

• 1Like

Picasso3

Self/Internet taught mainly, my family is handy but are even bigger hacksters than me.

Like Soygen says, the first major undertaking is the hardest in planning, committing, and executing, then on it's honing which is a lot more enjoyable/tolerable.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
So for those of you like P Picasso3 are you just teaching yourself all this stuff? Or is it something you learned. I've gotta say you guys have done some awesome shit, minus the kitchen cabinets falling off the wall :p
My dad bought a house when I was 11 that we tore down to the studs and rebuilt. During the next 5 years I learned to drywall and tape, though I suck at taping, basic electrical and plumbing, and then I taught myself to tile about 10 years after that. With youtube there are a lot of videos out there to learn the basics, then it's just a matter of hands on experience. Obviously use extreme caution of you're messing with electrical, and plumbing can get messy and expensive if you screw something up. If you're ever hesitant, call a pro.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Electrical is easy mode. I'd always recommend a licensed plumber for plumbing and gas work though. You're talking about the health of your family at that point.

If anyone around MA is doing their own shit I'll come out and look at it free, just so you don't kill your family like the guy in Acushnet did yeaterday.

Picasso3

What a coincidence electricity is the other trade is ez.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting hurt by electricity?

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

When I finished my basement I got a referral on a book to buy from Amazon and it was money well spent. There is a company talled Taunton (Tauntaun?) Press and they make tall skinny paperbacks on all kinds of DIY topics. I bought their books on Framing, Electrical, and one that is specifically for finishing basements. You read through those a couple times and you can do anything yourself.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I will be building an office in my backyard in the coming weeks, super excited. Will keep you all posted with pictures as things progress, first thing is getting a guy to build a level slab as I have no skills in that area, going either 8x10 or 8x12.

Something like this with more windows.

d3ed65a0c4db6ba370af99f4965a76b0.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Will it have air conditioning?

Yeah going to put a split unit in, which reminds me I need to research the amount of BTU's I will need for about 120 square feet.

Well that was easy, 5-6K BTU, that will be cheaper then I thought.