Home Improvement

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They are. It pained me to do it but I had to hire an engineer to make actual blueprints based on my highly technical design doc, attached previously. They submitted it to the city for approval and permits and I saw them working and they actually had the plans printed out on one of those giant sheets of architect paper and were consulting it. So I guess money well spent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it's money well spent. The contractor knows what they're setting out to build and as long as they do it per the plans they have a lot less liability. No willy nilly owner changes, miscommunications, etc.

Having all the measurements for making cuts is helpful too. Last night i pulled up a drawing to find a stud, it was a miracle.

• 1Like

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is just wrong. I've literally gutted my entire basement. Working through and decided to strip the steps. Can believe people put vinyl over these.

IMG_2225_zpspj0ncoga.jpg

IMG_2226_zpsnkkzmxfh.jpg

IMG_2225_zpspj0ncoga.jpg

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Vinyl floors and wall paper... uhg. First house we bought had shitty carpet all over. Pulled it up to find the original wood floor. We were on the cheep at the time so we just cleaned it, but later we went back on refinished. Was a nice feature when we sold.

Picasso3

I've heard to assume 9x9 tiles are asbestos which those look pretty close.

Evacuate immediately.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
burn the house down.

Need to rerun the cable in my house. right now its going from the box on the side of the house through the garage and my front door on the ground and into my room.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the whole basement floor had asbetos tile! hah. I tore them up already. I have a large basement too. the main room is 20X20 but there is a large laundry area too. Some of the work I've done. Not just all me, have a friend helping.

IMG_0091_zps1xef6mg7.jpg

IMG_2226_zpsnkkzmxfh.jpg

IMG_0093_zpst2b32els.jpg

IMG_0094_zps1quez564.jpg

IMG_1122_zpsmi1jpbm1.jpg

IMG_1121_zpsqztx3b7i.jpg

IMG_1907_zpsgymiryjp.jpg

IMG_2149_zpsw7xct9wn.jpg

49826565824__04C54526-1A21-439B-952C-BA7D840AF40B_zpsbtkphdhr.jpg

IMG_2140_zpscjypngic.jpg

Working towards this.. Already gutted bathroom. Need to run new pex and electric in bathroom and laundry room but you can see the naughty tile on the bathroom floor, it's all up now.

IMG_0099_zpsqfn1m3hc.jpg

IMG_0104_zpsyrhuwqac.jpg

Picasso3

Impressed by your mudding abilities. How are you going to handle pex to bathroom, framing out in there?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Please stop basement shaming me. Some of us can't have basements!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would love to take credit for the mudding but my friend is actually handling that! He's been doing it for years and is killer at it. It's amazing how well he did my ceiling.

Bathroom is already down to studs so now it's just a matter of bringing it in. Currently the copper runs from that laundry room into the bathroom via the ceiling. It's already open so I'm just going to gut it all and start from the main and work in. I need to run it to my laundry sink and out to the garage as well. I did the same in my basement room and ran it outside with a new hose bib and shutoff. I love how easy pex is to work with.

Also, I ran extra wire the length of my basement so I'm going to be pulling that down and dropping in some GFI's in bathroom and laundry room.

I have a problem wall in laundry room I'm still trying to figure out how I want to tackle. If you look at that last pic, that back wall there is taking moisture. I'm leaning towards a waterproof membrane then I can tie into my french drain then some metal anchors that I can attach to wall and green board over. The door is right there so I can't stud it out. I have like an inch or 2 to work with but pretty sure I can tuck the rock into the corner between wall and door. But open to any suggestions. been researching that a lot.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it a window well on the moisture wall?

I thought the bathroom was all block

The moisture wall is the wall you see with the window. Right below the window the wall is bacially underground from there down.

Nah just the one wall is concrete. I'll have to get another pic of it now. I actually left the toilet and sink for now because I didn't want to drag dirt upstairs.

The problem with the moisture wall is runnoff from outside. I plan to address that but basically the wall is half in the ground outside and the water runs off the roof and seeps into the ground then wall. I'm going to dig it down and put that black rubber on it then a drainage system but not till spring so want to address inside now. That Basement took water in a few areas. It's been great since I had it waterproofed tho. But it's a big reason I went with metal studs as well.

pic of bathroom now. ceiling and other wall are down to stud. Just have that last section to rip out. waiting till i actually being in there.

IMG_2236_zpsjrwbjipl.jpg

IMG_2235_zpspsvwj0pd.jpg

Last edited:

Picasso3

Fixing it from the outside is exactly what I'd do and I'd try to set it up so I wouldn't cover it inside until confident it's fixed. It also seems pretty separate so no push to get it done?

Bathroom wall opening up is great, that's some heavy duty looking plaster. Are you going to try to redo drains? Uber will get upset over that s trap, with the wall open you may be able to at least put in an aav somewhere.

• 1Like

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fixing it from the outside is exactly what I'd do and I'd try to set it up so I wouldn't cover it inside until confident it's fixed. It also seems pretty separate so no push to get it done?

Bathroom wall opening up is great, that's some heavy duty looking plaster. Are you going to try to redo drains? Uber will get upset over that s trap, with the wall open you may be able to at least put in an aav somewhere.

Yea, no real push to get it done and If I do, it will be something that isn't touching the wall then repairing outside as soon as weather permits. I'll have to see how I feel once i get in there since I tend to not want to stop.

The plaster has been ridiculous. The entire basement has been brutal demoing. It's all heavy duty and secured to ceiling and corners with chicken wire, nails and mortar. I'm so glad that's behind me. I'd like to redo drains but that's something I'll need to ask a plumber friend to look at. I'd rather not do it myself but I hate skipping shit, especially when it's open and ready to be worked.

Another thing I need to look into is the landing for my steps. I'm going to sand and stain the rest of them but I'm not sure the landing is going to come out right, I'd rather have one big piece.

IMG_2233_zpsa7nids54.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Frames finished with the siding yesterday. The roof goes on tomorrow.

a6KsM0a.jpg

ljvuTJn.jpg

• 1Like

Picasso3

It seems very familiar to my last house down the to wire sheathing, i think it was built in 1946. The corner chicken wire is the worst.

For the landing I can't see you finding 1 big piece unless it's a butcherblock type joined piece and that won't be cheap. I'd look into getting unfinished floor wood that matches tread type and then putting a piece of stair nosing at the edge. Those treads may be pine and could be had for about $10 each so you may want to consider full replacement.

• 1Like