Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats not bad, best I could do for my 8x10 basic slab was $1200.

The problem is all summer long I could not get anyone to come out. that quote was over the phone and all the places I called would not even come out, too small of a job. I will try early spring once ground thaws. Maybe some of these places will have free time not doing driveways yet.

I should of had the guy do it while I was getting my driveway redone last year, but dumbass me did not think ahead.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
What do you think Zapatta Zapatta is it more work and material to notch in a diagonal 2x4 or put in 2x4 blocks?

Old days we used to run diagonal blocks, now nostly I see people skin one wall with 3/4 cdx ply adhesive and screws to make a shear wall (expensive), or they run galvanized straps diagonal corner to corner (cheap)

Faster to set up chop saw and clip blocking than notch the whole wall. I am no engineer but I always thought notching was silly, anything subtractive is going to be less strong than adding.

Diagonally stiffened walls usually come into play only when you go 2 stories. Or when you have super long run with no interior load bearing. For a single story small foot print thing Hator has going cant see it doing much to make a difference. But I am no architect / engineer.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

The problem is all summer long I could not get anyone to come out. that quote was over the phone and all the places I called would not even come out, too small of a job. I will try early spring once ground thaws. Maybe some of these places will have free time not doing driveways yet.

I should of had the guy do it while I was getting my driveway redone last year, but dumbass me did not think ahead.

Just troll your area for anyone doing a driveway etc. or even near by - if you catch them doing a job you usually can work a deal with the workers and the mixer truck to come do your slab under the table cash in hand for cheap. Sometimes that's how you have to do smaller jobs. The economy hit and the reduction of construction infrastructure actually is still having a mark- as now things are ramping back up, but many of the smaller supporting infrastructure construction places are no more.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that is going to happen, that is one of the forst things he talked about when we discussed how ita built.

you re in good shape, framing looks legit, its a cute little office. My only question is what are the local rules for distance of roof eaves to a property line. I have had to clip back roof line from houses that built too close to their neighbors.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
you re in good shape, framing looks legit, its a cute little office. My only question is what are the local rules for distance of roof eaves to a property line. I have had to clip back roof line from houses that built too close to their neighbors.

Yeah three foot setback and roof can't be more then 14 inches over that, so to be safe I built the slab five feet from the corner on both sides, that and easier to get the mower through there.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Window frame nailed to framing studs? I am not a pro, but shouldn't you use some weather barrier layered to keep rain out? Not sure the weather there. Also no exterior sheathing threw me off, but your climate might be warm/dray only.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
More updates! If you guys even care anymore. That front wall with overhang is fucking tall, and with the windows there we aren't sure what to put on the inside that won't block the natural light. Also I am fairly certain they are going to do more with the windows, they look very temporary as is.
2fyESyn.jpg

PLCHu8e.jpg

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ya mon keep us updated

Those windows look crazy, are they supposed to be operable?

No, just wanted natural light and those were the best options for various reasons.

Yes on insulating and minisplit unti for A/C heat, Bat whatever on three walls, and better on west wall and ceiling, then drywall. The details are few posts back.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
No, just wanted natural light and those were the best options for various reasons.

Yes on insulating, Bat whatever on three walls, and better on west wall and ceiling, then drywall. The details are few posts back.

good man. its cheap fast and easy and makes a huge difference. Depending on climate lotta folks dont bother.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Pro-Tip. set a tape measure on the bottom plate of the stud walls and shoot a couple quick picks so when it time to do shelves etc. you know where the studs are to screw to.

also have the carpenter run a nice 4x4 block mid ceiling in case you want a ceiling fan.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Pro-Tip. set a tape measure on the bottom plate of the stud walls and shoot a couple quick picks so when it time to do shelves etc. you know where the studs are to screw to.

also have the carpenter run a nice 4x4 block mid ceiling in case you want a ceiling fan.

Good tip and yeah ceiling fan is going in.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Also you might ask your electrician to run one GFI outlet on the outside of your man hut. It will come in handy later, hell you can put x-mas light up on it next yr.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Also you might ask your electrician to run one GFI outlet on the outside of your man hut. It will come in handy later, hell you can put x-mas light up on it next yr.

Also in the plan, six outlets inside+1 that can handle the 230V minsplit, recessed lighting with dimmer, shit is going to be baller. I am sparing no expense.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Also in the plan, six outlets inside+1 that can handle the 230V minsplit, recessed lighting with dimmer, shit is going to be baller. I am sparing no expense.

If you are going full baller, build a Murphy Bed in the wall in case the wife gets mad and you have to lay low, or you wanna sneak fuck her sister one night.

fold-down-bed-small-space.jpg