Home Improvement

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Say what? That is even more messed up. The only way to solve this is with explosives. You may want to make sure the house gets it too. It'll be the only way to ensure that fuckery didn't find a way to corrupt the house as well.

I'm going to guess that was a DIY fuckup. Jack hammer the fucking thing and redo a decent patio or sand it and cover it up with pavers and redo it later.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm going to guess that was a DIY fuckup. Jack hammer the fucking thing and redo a decent patio or sand it and cover it up with pavers and redo it later.
It is not a forever home, so just making it look decent with pavers for now is what I'll do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I think you'll need more than an inch. The sand will run over time. Box it at the edges. I don't know, but I imagine that that will help. You're just trying to contain the sand.

You're basically making a giant sandbox with this slab of bullshit straight in the middle.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think you'll need more than an inch. The sand will run over time. Box it at the edges. I don't know, but I imagine that that will help. You're just trying to contain the sand.

You're basically making a giant sandbox with this slab of bullshit straight in the middle.

I've heard use the minimum amount of sand necessary to bed and level.

Picasso3

I mean besides patio, it's only flower beds outback (townhome). So I can just get some soil to bring them up as needed

When it's against your house and you raise the ground above your framing and you get rot and or termites.

iannis

Musty Nester
The usual plan is to put the minimum amount of sand necessary to bed and level.

Yeah, i'm not claiming expert knowledge on this one.

What I do know is that I use stepping stones in my yard because I have a few spots that used to flood in heavy rains. I've since fixed that with a shovel and a drainage plan. But at the time I laid down stepping stones on top of a bed of sand.

The sand, even compacted, ran. And dyuh.. no, I don't mean after it flooded. I mean just in normal weather, the stones shifted. They still shift, and I've fixed the places where the water would pool up around them. Really don't care, they're just decorative.

But for a whole patio... it might be give a fuck territory. I mean you might want to box the edge just so that you don't have to maintain it every spring, don'tcha think? Hell, you could box it with soil and flowers. It wouldn't have to be a real wooden box.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
When it's against your house and you raise the ground above your framing and you get rot and or termites.
They aren't . Should have said that the stone isnt around the foundation on both sides of the door where nat gas, water, and compressor for central air are. So wont put pavers there and there shoupd be plenty of space between foundation and framing. Between the french doors and stone there is about 4.25in now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Friend of mine is going to Disneyworld next week and I'll be house sitting for them. They have a pool with a deck around it that was sealed improperly and has developed a couple rotten spots. They're careful but it is a cause for concern due to the potential for injured children. They plan to replace the whole deck but obviously that's not something you can just up and do.

Would it be out of line for me to repair the rotten spots as a surprise to them while they're gone? It wouldn't be completely out of left field since we've talked about the deck before, they've had me do some work for them before on their previous house and I'll be patching some bad flashing on their roof next week anyway. Would be maybe an hour to plan it out on paper first and then at most 4-5 hours of work with a circular saw, reciprocating saw, and a screwgun, and I've got more than enough 2x4 scrap in the garage from other projects. I love to surprise people with this kind of stuff, but I have a concern that this might be one of those things where it would have been absolutely fine if I asked, but cause some problems because I didn't and I wanted the opinion of some home-owners as to how they would feel if it was their deck in question.

Picasso3

Maybe, i wouldn't because it'll seem like you want paid and i wouldn't want that awkwardness. Especially if i had plans to do it all..

Work out an arrangement to do the whole deck.

iannis

Musty Nester
Only a problem if you botch it up. So if you decide to do it, be sure to not cock it up.

But picasso speaks true. It creates an obligation of payment. Which you could handle in one of two ways. Either just don't mention that you did it or head them off and tell them you got bored and miss lady didn't leave any good spank material in her underwear drawer.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I already wasn't going to charge them for patching the roof, so I don't think it creates an obligation or expectation of payment, but I was already leaning towards foregoing the surprise to ask first, so that's probably what I'll do. Maybe I'll just ask the husband so it's still a surprise for the wife.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well I already wasn't going to charge them for patching the roof, so I don't think it creates an obligation or expectation of payment, but I was already leaning towards foregoing the surprise to ask first, so that's probably what I'll do. Maybe I'll just ask the husband so it's still a surprise for the wife.

Probably wise. And if they're planning to redo the whole deck, why bother?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When do grills usually go on deep sale? September-ish(end of summer?) or like the fucking dead of winter? I'm either going to go pure basic Weber or shoot on over to Pellet.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Because it may be a while before they can get it done and those rotten spots are dangerous when you have small children.

Oh, well, if that's the case, I'd likely do it for them, too, and leave a note/card that says something like "I had free time and took care of some of the worst spots on your deck so you and the kids can enjoy it this summer."

I misunderstood, and thought they were going to redo the deck soon.