Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've spent the last few days chipping away at the extremely half assed duct work in the "attic" space above my office. The office area is about 2k sq ft of finished warehouse. At some point the previous tenant installed a 5 ton HVAC unit, and whoever did all the duct work either gave no fucks or had absolutely no clue how to properly install flex duct. Just cutting a 2nd 20" return above the original (and only!?!) return dramatically improved temperature stability. Now that I've properly hung and joined two of the registers to the trunk line, the room those were attached to is like a walk-in cooler.

I figured this was the only thread where I'd find some sympathy and bros that would appreciate just how fucking exhausted I am tonight.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've spent the last few days chipping away at the extremely half assed duct work in the "attic" space above my office. The office area is about 2k sq ft of finished warehouse. At some point the previous tenant installed a 5 ton HVAC unit, and whoever did all the duct work either gave no fucks or had absolutely no clue how to properly install flex duct. Just cutting a 2nd 20" return above the original (and only!?!) return dramatically improved temperature stability. Now that I've properly hung and joined two of the registers to the trunk line, the room those were attached to is like a walk-in cooler.

I figured this was the only thread where I'd find some sympathy and bros that would appreciate just how fucking exhausted I am tonight.
exposed beam pics or GTFO!!!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
exposed beam pics or GTFO!!!

Here's what originally got me to take a look at what was going on up there. One register wasn't blowing any air so I went to investigate. The assholes had simply used duct tape to join the flex duct to this wye. The duct tape obviously rotted off causing the separation seen here.
IMG_7660.JPG

Then I found another wye... that only went to one register. The second duct had two fucking tshirts (one had "Cross Country Team 1996" on it) stuffed inside presumably to reduce air flow.

IMG_7924.JPG

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Lol good stuff, where's your insulation?
Because this is just finished space inside a warehouse, the insulation is on the actual ceiling. The ceiling insulation isn't very substantial but the area you see in my pictures isn't fully sealed from the rest of the office space. The ceiling is about 13 feet high at its tallest point (where it meets the dividing wall to the larger warehouse space) and 10 feet at its lowest near the front door.

IMG_7946.JPG

IMG_7947.JPG

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Made sliding barn door for the basement to keep the cat out of there. Fuckin' cat.

xC6sRdT.png

that bulk head made it so I couldn't just use a normal door.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Made sliding barn door for the basement to keep the cat out of there. Fuckin' cat.

xC6sRdT.png

Door looks good! For our barn doors (see pictures in the post above yours), we added washers to spread the load between the rail and the drywall. Unfortunately they're star shaped and aesthetically clash with the rest of the decor. Do you think putting a board between the rail and the wall (as you did) would accomplish the same load balancing?

Palum

what Suineg set it to

xC6sRdT.png

I love those doors. They are just utterly useless for most applications since they don't seal very well and take up a ton of wall space. I really want them for my office doors though rather than the dumb double doors but I don't want to give up like 5' of wall space for them.

Did you buy the full kit ones or just the hardware pack and do the door panel yourself?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
House we're getting has a hallway laundry, atm it just has curtains. Trying to convince wife that sliding barn door is the new thing now. Think i'm gonna lose and just end up doing two double doors.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I love those doors. They are just utterly useless for most applications since they don't seal very well and take up a ton of wall space. I really want them for my office doors though rather than the dumb double doors but I don't want to give up like 5' of wall space for them.

Did you buy the full kit ones or just the hardware pack and do the door panel yourself?
I just bought the hardware and built the door myself. Got to bust out a mitre saw I had been given there years ago but really had no project that needed it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Do you think putting a board between the rail and the wall (as you did) would accomplish the same load balancing?
I'm not sure

I needed the board so I could have something in that hall way gap to attach the hardware.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

xC6sRdT.png

My wife wants one of those in family room and living room door. It's smaller door and I would like better hardware, but that's cool and gives me ideas.

What's guiding the door on the bottom, so it does not bang on walls or molding?

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Smart ones could probably open it I'm assuming. I don't have one yet, but supposedly the hardware is pretty smooth running, so I don't think it would be too hard to slide.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My wife wants one of those in family room and living room door. It's smaller door and I would like better hardware, but that's cool and gives me ideas.

What's guiding the door on the bottom, so it does not bang on walls or molding?
4753031_L.jpg

Just some sliding door guides. The ones I have came with the hardware.

There's also a stopper on the end of each rail that stops the rollers on the top from going too far and hitting the wall when I close the door

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm going to be building a new pantry, double doors. Do you guys think two hanging doors like that, one in front of the other, would work?