Home Improvement

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Full disclosure: I think barn doors look absolutely stupid.

But on topic for Lurking I feel like for a pantry which has a bunch of open/close traffic throughout the day you'd really regret putting sliding doors on it instead of just standard doors which open out. The only reasonable use of a barn door for me is if there isn't enough room for a door to swing or if you can't frame a door. Otherwise it seems like something that is 100% function following form. Unfortunately that form is hideous and rustic chic is the most cliche style out there.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How are you supposed to properly scold your kids if you install a barn door?

"Close that door! Do you live in a barn?!"
"YEA!"

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Full disclosure: I think barn doors look absolutely stupid.

But on topic for Lurking I feel like for a pantry which has a bunch of open/close traffic throughout the day you'd really regret putting sliding doors on it instead of just standard doors which open out. The only reasonable use of a barn door for me is if there isn't enough room for a door to swing or if you can't frame a door. Otherwise it seems like something that is 100% function following form. Unfortunately that form is hideous and rustic chic is the most cliche style out there.
while i think they're trendy and want it, i do think it looks stupid, but as you said for some specific purposes, they're the best option, like so
hallway-laundry-room-laundry-room-farmhouse-with-foursquare-traditional-household-cleaning-products.jpg

my laundry hallway is just as constrained, and i hate bi-fold doors, and i hate sliding doors.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean you still need bifolds for some applications, like smaller bedrooms with a closet that doesn't have the floor space to allow the swing of a full door(s) or the wall space to mount barn doors. To me barn doors are trendy retrofit pocket doors without the convenience or tragedy that eventually comes when you have to maintain said pocket door inside your wall.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Everyone has pinched something in a bi-fold door sometime in their lives

Re: barn doors, I would've just used a normie door if that bulk head wasn't there. That said, I had no ragrats. It looks nice and fits perfectly.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Painting oak cabinets.

I'm trying to consider if I dislike the generic light stain oak cabinets in the kitchen to bother with the process of taking all the doors off and deglossing / priming / painting them. Has anyone done this? I found a few blogs / videos of people who took on this task and they indicated it was fairly daunting, but the plain oak feels so dated.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This rustoleum cabinet kit for $100 seems nice, a few youtubes reviewing it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Everyone has pinched something in a bi-fold door sometime in their lives

Re: barn doors, I would've just used a normie door if that bulk head wasn't there. That said, I had no ragrats. It looks nice and fits perfectly.

TBH though I would have gone with a better sealing door that would fit in the space

23568-7235251.jpg

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I bought a gladiator garage kit for 700, still have some other pieces but its good stuff.

I hung the wall cabinet on the rail but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it off and wall mount them directly because its a waste.

20170725_222006.jpg

Siliconemelons

I was going to post this in jimmys rustled thread but...

Garage door didnt open - torsion spings broke... apparently I only have had 1 working...

Dude was trying to get me to replace 3 bearings for 100$... bearings are like 3$...

They wanted to replace both springs, replace all 3 bearings - install new hubs and wires and new rollers for 800$...

I had them do just the springs because I thought my wife was going back to work this week and we needed both cars... but no...that's next week... should have ordered the darn springs and did it myself.

All other parts, bars for winding the springs/unwinding- new hubs, new sealed rollers, new wires and 3 bearings- 56$ shipped...

So another project it seems to be- I want to replace the steel bar its a 1inch OD hollow galvanized pole... but cant find many places for it-- may just see if lowes or home depot has a dang bar.

It does work much better with the new springs...just rustled I paid 230$ for like 50$ parts..and not that hard of a replacement- just do not be retarded and hurt yourself with the damn spring!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've had those springs break at the hooks and you can bend a new hook and adjust the wire so you don't have to replace

Siliconemelons

lol - yeah my entire torsion system was completely rusted - and the rails rollers, door and opener looked fairly new, no rust or oxidation - no real issues etc... so me, not knowing (then) really anything about the workings of the door, figured the springs and old bar and stuff were the "old" system and the newer looking stuff was its own stuff lol - I just figured the old springs were from when the door was manual or something..

But now I get how the system works and all the parts. So I am rustled that I spend 230$ for two spring replacement - that I could have done myself... but I am confidant now that I can buy all the other parts for 50-60$ and do the "800$" "full" replacement of everything. I may even get a new shaft just so it looks pretty and matches all the new parts lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just got a new door installed last year. The old one was probably the original door in my early 1970s ranch and it was rusting on bottom. Anyway sales came out, I ordered the door, few weeks later the fuckers came out and old door removed and new one installed, including new opener and key access pad in less than 2 hrs. $1300. New doors are insulated and have a 1/4 in extruded aluminum strip on bottom, so unlike the old one, no steel ever contacts the floor/wet. The door itself has a 20 yr paint warranty. Still the cheapest they offered. They had some for like $5K, lol.

Also I come to find out from the install dudes that my old opener was the model that killed/hurt so many kids that they passed new regulations on door openers to have optical and pressure sensors. Instead of using chain, belt or screw drive like current models, it had 2 1/2 dia tubes that spun around and angled wheels on the carriage rode up and down the tubes lifting and closing the door. Fucking beast of a system, never saw one like that before.

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got this new rental house a few weeks ago and have been working on it in my spare time. The interior is not quite done, but hopefully by the end of the week.

Exterior Projects: New windows, roof, siding, landscaping, gutters, shutters, upgraded electrical service.

South_Side_Before_After.jpg

West_Side_Before_After.jpg

North_Side_Before_After.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
kitchen.jpg

This is what I'm starting with (the Fridge and Stove will be replaced). The walls are much more yellow than they appear in this photo, in fact the whole house is that same color of yellow which I am not globally a fan of.

Thoughts? I feel I should do something with the space over the one row of cabinets and not the big letters / obnoxious pottery bit.