Home Improvement

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I'm not handy enough to do any of that myself and have no desire to learn. I'd also need to buy/rent all the required tools. If I go the mini split route it'll be done professionally and I actually just found out my father has some connections in that world and I may be able to get a unit at a factory direct price. Things are lookin up!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I really gotta brush up on the copper sweating. I can do it, but I don't WANT to.

I haven't done it since I was a teenager, it's one thing if you're doing it and your dad is looking over your shoulder, but doing it on your own house is a completely different matter. Buying a fuckload of scrap copper and throwing it in the vise seems like a good idea, dunno why I didn't think of it myself.

Its easy, key is a quick scuff to take the protective varnish off the surface, a liberal amount of flux and even heat all the way around on both joints, when it's ready the solder will pull itself all the way in and around as if by magic. It really is all about getting the correct wide flame torch head. Pencil tips don't heat evenly. MAP gas is way hotter than Propane and just makes thing faster.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
You don't solder the pressure lines on any HVAC unit, you braze them.

I put a mini split in the house we just sold, it was a Daikin from FW Webb. Connections were flared, so
no brazing, vacuumed the lines, dropped the charge and was done. Worked awesome the 4 years we had it. It's a 1 day job for a tech, just spend the money, you'll love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got a ductless split system from Amazon, had a tech do the refrigerant but can agree they're awesome

LaGSaLoT

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yea I'm not handy enough to do any of that myself and have no desire to learn. I'd also need to buy/rent all the required tools. If I go the mini split route it'll be done professionally and I actually just found out my father has some connections in that world and I may be able to get a unit at a factory direct price. Things are lookin up!

Mini split is the way to go and can be done by a DIY'er pretty easily. The cost difference is pretty significant in you installing vs a pro. I bought a Gree Terra 18,000 btu unit with 1 head for my house. Took about 2 hours to install. The only specialty tool you need outside of a 3" drill bit is a pump to vacuum the pre-charged lines. My friend picked one up on amazon for 100$ so I borrowed his. My overall cost was just under 1600$ said and done with a monthly savings of 50$ a month in the cold seasons (Had baseboard heat before). I haven't really used the AC much as I moved from the Phoenix to the Pacific Northwest so these high 70's summers don't quite warrant it yet.

My buddies brother in-law purchased a Gree Crown 18,000 btu unit with 1 head and had a pro install. His bill was just over 6k.

Picasso3

khane is a ginger which puts his handyman abilities inline with country wives and people who put mayonnaise on hotdogs

First coat of stain on the stairs

20170707_211846.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So naturally my InSinkErator blew up (after being used maybe two dozen times ever) a few months after the warranty expired. Any suggested brands? I don't really use it often so I'd prefer durability and basic/cheap over features and crazy "you can feed elephant tusks into it!" bullshit.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So naturally my InSinkErator blew up (after being used maybe two dozen times ever) a few months after the warranty expired. Any suggested brands? I don't really use it often so I'd prefer durability and basic/cheap over features and crazy "you can feed elephant tusks into it!" bullshit.
They are my favorite brand actually.

Picasso3

Biggest thing is noise which you'll notice if you get a cheap one.

Make sure your credit card didn't extend your warranty.

Waste king avail on Amazon is supposed to be a good option. I would prob go insinkerator though

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Great news, I thought it was an InSinkErator, but turns out it's a cheap chinese knockoff that looks identical and the sticker was around the side where I couldn't see it last night.

Guess it's time to Badger up.

EDIT: rofl found the manual, it says to dislodge stuck items insert a broom handle and try and spin the plate.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh the rage

So last ditch I ask the lady "ARE YOU SURE you didn't use that side of the sink for anything else?"

She says "no, just cleaning out my betta fish tank."

"The one with the rocks?"

"Yea, why?"

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I unplugged it, shoved a screwdriver in and banged the little plate a bit (barely moved), put my shopvac into the drain and sucked out a few rocks.

My life is a stereotype

Siliconemelons

Had to move some electrical outlets at my parents house... its never simple... but got it done :) still working on a 50s house is always filled with surprises!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
You don't solder the pressure lines on any HVAC unit, you braze them.

I put a mini split in the house we just sold, it was a Daikin from FW Webb. Connections were flared, so
no brazing, vacuumed the lines, dropped the charge and was done. Worked awesome the 4 years we had it. It's a 1 day job for a tech, just spend the money, you'll love it.

How much pressure is in a HVAC loop? I have sweat copper lines on power plant salt water cooling towers that were used for service air at 90 PSI and big boy CFM. Hell schedule 40 PVC can handle a couple hundred PSI.

Why do they Braze HVAC lines? Is it a temperature expansion / contraction thing?

Last edited: