Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also a question for anyone who knows about fire places:

I originally thought that I had a gas fireplace. Turns out I was wrong. There appears to be a gas starter for a wood burning fireplace. It is this Blue Flame Log Lighter deal that I never heard of until I tried to figure out how to operate my fireplace. Stupid move on my part but when I had my home inspection he just turned on the fireplace and didn't indicate any of this to me and I just assumed it was a gas burning. Does anyone know how difficult/costly it would be to convert a wood burning fireplace w/ a gas line already ran to it with a gas burning fireplace?

They sell kits for like $300-$500 that plug and play, you just have to run the gas line. They even have remotes and shit like mine does.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Also a question for anyone who knows about fire places:

I originally thought that I had a gas fireplace. Turns out I was wrong. There appears to be a gas starter for a wood burning fireplace. It is this Blue Flame Log Lighter deal that I never heard of until I tried to figure out how to operate my fireplace. Stupid move on my part but when I had my home inspection he just turned on the fireplace and didn't indicate any of this to me and I just assumed it was a gas burning. Does anyone know how difficult/costly it would be to convert a wood burning fireplace w/ a gas line already ran to it with a gas burning fireplace?

Very easy assuming you have threads to tie in once you take off the current perforated pipe.

Lowes has gas logs (i recommend vent free and you can open the flu if you're paranoid) and you can hook them up with a flexible connector from your existing pipe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ordered! Thanks for the suggestion.

New windows can't come soon enough. Prior owner loved the character (he had the money to replace them...)

I'm getting expensive windows (Wooden interior, aluminum exterior) to keep the character while having something modern. Matching Trim is still sold at Home Depot lol. Guess styling hasn't really changed much in a hundred years.

Old arse Victorian money-sink. I knew what I was getting into thought :) Have a few hundred thousand budged to modernize areas of the house he didn't touch. Noting the most expensive single-thing I have to do is windows (22 normal + 2 bay windows). Rest is just gutting a few rooms. Will be moving out of the house for a month or so so this work can be performed.

Plumbling, Electrical, HVAC (noting that Boiler is getting old) has all been modernized. I need to take a picture of the crazyass boiler room. Blows my mind every-time I walk into it.
yea it's super sensitive within half a degree and response time of like less than 1s.

If you want to make sure your readings are temperature perfect, boil water and then point the gun at it, then put some ice in a bowl of water and point at it, but really, you're just looking for temperature difference, not really looking for accurate temps. (which it does, i've used it on steak, lol)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have some leaks in my basement windows. Is it safe to caulk around the entire window seams (they're super old windows) to fill the gaps and seal the windows or is that technically a fire hazard to block windows like that?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have some leaks in my basement windows. Is it safe to caulk around the entire window seams (they're super old windows) to fill the gaps and seal the windows or is that technically a fire hazard to block windows like that?

You could always do the plastic over them if you need to, that way its just a tear-away thing. That stuff works surprisingly well. Although if its just concrete walls between you and the outside, there's only so much you can do.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Like I said ive got no idea about any of this. As far as our current water heater the tank looks to be about 2 gallons

Can you post a picture of this thing? I've never heard of a 2 gallon water heater and it makes no sense. Having a tiny tank wouldn't mean it takes a long time to get warm, it would mean your shower could only last 45 seconds before you ran out of hot water.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is my entire heating system.

IMG_20180103_164805.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That small tank is a pressure tank, not related to your hot water. The square thing is the boiler to heat your house. I don't think either of those things is related to the hot water that comes out of your tap.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is my entire heating system.

View attachment 158868
That's an expansion tank I have it on my water heater too

standard tank water heater can stress your plumbing pipes by the normal thermal expansion that happens during the heating process. A safety device known as a water heater expansion tank (sometimes called a thermal expansion tank) can help minimize the risk of pressure damage to the plumbing system. (This is normally not a problem on modern on-demand, tankless water heaters--only tank-style heaters are subject to this problem.)

But yea, you ain't got no regular water heater around? That's just a boiler for air heat

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's all we got

Asked my BIL and he said it's tankless hot water through the boiler. So uh... There's that mystery

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Noodle why are there bags of trash in your basement. One of which appears to reside inside your lawn mower bag.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Try cranking the temp up on that boiler a little bit. Having the water hotter than normal might help combat the cold pipes. Just don't forget to drop it back down when it's not so cold

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Do you have registers or is it radiant floor heat? Either way changing the house heat to a furnace would mean running forced air ducts which is a huge project and if your basement wasn't designed for it it means you have to duck under the fucking thing all the time when you're in the basement (You can probably guess how I know this). If you're happy with the way it heats your house I'd stick with it.

I'm not sure I buy your brother in law's theory that putting in a regular water heater will solve your shower taking so long to heat up though unless you can put it a lot closer to your bathroom than the boiler is. The water will still get just as cold in the pipe and still take just as long to run out. That's the issue, the water sits in the pipe and gets cold and then you can't get any of the hot water from the boiler/water heater until you run out all the cold water that's already in the pipe. They do make a little pump gizmo that you can program to circulate the water between the heater and the shower which will solve the problem. I think you can even program some of them to just circulate an hour before you usually take a shower so you have instant hot water when you get in the shower in the morning.

Recirculating Systems Explained

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If it's taking more than 3-4 minutes the boiler is falling behind id think. The tank would solve that issue at least until it was drained since you have 40-50 gallons of pre heated water. Would be nice to somehow combine both but that's probably unnecessary 90% of the time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If it's taking more than 3-4 minutes the boiler is falling behind id think. The tank would solve that issue at least until it was drained since you have 40-50 gallons of pre heated water. Would be nice to somehow combine both but that's probably unnecessary 90% of the time.
I think that's why he's proposing it. We're sitting around waiting for cold water/pipes to dissipate. With a large tank we might eliminate that a bit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see how the size of the tank has anything to do with how long it takes the hot water to get to the shower.