Home Improvement

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see how the size of the tank has anything to do with how long it takes the hot water to get to the shower.

It takes the same amount of travel time. That's likely not the problem though. It's just that the boiler has to heat the water on demand and it's not keeping up. If you have a tank, it has 40-50 gallons that is pre heated, so it can send that right away.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just get a flamethrower and boil the water in the tub on demand.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It takes the same amount of travel time. That's likely not the problem though. It's just that the boiler has to heat the water on demand and it's not keeping up. If you have a tank, it has 40-50 gallons that is pre heated, so it can send that right away.

I guess that makes sense. If those boilers are that weak then that's a shitty way to heat water for your faucets but is probably fine for heating the house.

I like the idea of on demand water heaters because it seems ludicrous to me that I pay to keep 50 gallons of water hot 24/7 just so I can have it during the 10 minutes a day that hot water is actually running but I've never had one. I assume that the new on demand heaters get going a lot faster than that?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We have an on-demand heater for both hot water and baseboard heating. It struggles just a tad during these last few cold weeks to make a REALLY hot shower while heating the rest of the house, but otherwise it's just fine. My guess is that previous owner didn't buy a heater with enough BTUs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think ours is relatively small for our house if I had to guess. Also it's single digits outside

I think the water heater is our best bet.

I think the new on demand heaters are much more efficient

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
How old is the boiler? If you get a water heater and then the boiler dies 2 years later you might wish you just replaced the whole thing and had one less large appliance in your basement.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I guess that makes sense. If those boilers are that weak then that's a shitty way to heat water for your faucets but is probably fine for heating the house.

I like the idea of on demand water heaters because it seems ludicrous to me that I pay to keep 50 gallons of water hot 24/7 just so I can have it during the 10 minutes a day that hot water is actually running but I've never had one. I assume that the new on demand heaters get going a lot faster than that?

Well you're not really paying to keep it hot. At least that much. It's like filling up a thermos. You do want to try and right size it though so you are at least using what you heat for the most part.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’d never used a tankless heater until we got one at my work. The installation cost us twice as much as the unit, so keep that in mind if you decide to get one.

I’ve flatly refused my wife’s request to get one for the house. We’ve pulled 185 degree water continuously for hours from the unit at work. If we had a tankless heater at the house I’d have to get a second job just to support my wife’s shower habit.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I think that's why he's proposing it. We're sitting around waiting for cold water/pipes to dissipate. With a large tank we might eliminate that a bit.

AS Brutal said earlier you need a water re-circulation pump. The only reason you would need to upgrade your water heater is if you run out of hot water during showers.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Nothing, but you did make it a bit confusing by saying you had a small hot water tank at the beginning.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Had a 'fun' time last week as I suddenly heard lots of dripping on the ceiling as if it was raining... opened up the attic and sure enough there was water dripping from everywhere.

The sustained lengthy period of below-freezing temperature in New England coupled with improper moisture venting in the main part of my house had resulted in tons of frost building up on the north side of the attic which was then melting on the sunny day right before the blizzard hit.

I've suspected the bathroom vent in the master bath as being crap for awhile now so I think that is a likely culprit for most of the problem, but I can't discount the high humidity in the house over the holidays as we were constantly cooking / entertaining over that period. Some have said that its a sort of 'fluke' that will likely not happen again unless there's a lengthy period of freezing temps but I have a horrific history with water intrusions of all kinds and will not abide the risk posed by this situation.