Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i bought a boxing bag and wanted to ceiling hang it, so i put my magnet stud finder to it, and it stuck with force, so it felt like it was probably vent tube? or whatever its called that carries hot/cold air, it was along the whole section i wanted to hang it, so rather than fuck w/ it, guess i'll have to "imagine" where i'll put the rest of the work out area now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Welp, planning my kitchen remodel. Last room in the house(also biggest project to date) that was not done yet. Anyone recommend an online cabinet shop that does good shit for cheap? Dont mind putting them together myself. But need like 14-15 cabinets.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Welp, planning my kitchen remodel. Last room in the house(also biggest project to date) that was not done yet. Anyone recommend an online cabinet shop that does good shit for cheap? Dont mind putting them together myself. But need like 14-15 cabinets.
oh lets see a b4 pic

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its ugly as fuck. 70s called and said, cool kitchen. Cant even do anything about cabinets since they are all pressboard.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i had a window guy knock on door, normally i'd shoo ppl away, but i was thinking about replacing the 25year old wood windows w/ vinyl so i talked a bit. Of course he wants to setup a consultation, i said naw, then i said "look, i have 7 windows 30x60, how much" he couldn't say, then i said how much for one? estimate? for a good window? he couldn't say, then i said gtfo.

Vinen

God is dead
i had a window guy knock on door, normally i'd shoo ppl away, but i was thinking about replacing the 25year old wood windows w/ vinyl so i talked a bit. Of course he wants to setup a consultation, i said naw, then i said "look, i have 7 windows 30x60, how much" he couldn't say, then i said how much for one? estimate? for a good window? he couldn't say, then i said gtfo.

I just ordered my Wood Windows to replace the single-pane (+ Storm) Wood Windows that I have in-place.
Majesty Double Hung Wood Window | Harvey Building Products

Vinyl just look like garbage so I wanted to avoid them. I'll take the energy hit (if any) associated with Wooden Framing (Aluminum outside)

Have General Contractors coming by for a few large projects next week
- Rebuilding Garage Roof and replacing all Wood. Installation of electric car charger. (Model S order will be placed as soon as I have an ETA for Garage work.)
- Gut renovation of three rooms in second floor of house (+ Hallway). Going to be a giant mess so we will likely move out of the house for a month or two. Fucking plaster.
- Period restoration of first floor. (Want windows removed, restored to modern standards and returned to house, etc.) Our goal is for the first floor (sans Kitchen) to look as it would have 120 years ago when the house was first built.

Can fund all this in the next year from the profit made from the sale of our prior house. Will likely only tackle the first two bullets this year. Third is a long term goal.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just ordered my Wood Windows to replace the single-pane (+ Storm) Wood Windows that I have in-place.
Majesty Double Hung Wood Window | Harvey Building Products

Vinyl just look like garbage so I wanted to avoid them. I'll take the energy hit (if any) associated with Wooden Framing (Aluminum outside)

Have General Contractors coming by for a few large projects next week
- Rebuilding Garage Roof and replacing all Wood. Installation of electric car charger. (Model S order will be placed as soon as I have an ETA for Garage work.)
- Gut renovation of three rooms in second floor of house (+ Hallway). Going to be a giant mess so we will likely move out of the house for a month or two. Fucking plaster.
- Period restoration of first floor. (Want windows removed, restored to modern standards and returned to house, etc.) Our goal is for the first floor (sans Kitchen) to look as it would have 120 years ago when the house was first built.

Can fund all this in the next year from the profit made from the sale of our prior house. Will likely only tackle the first two bullets this year. Third is a long term goal.
from what i understand there is no energy savings hit between wood/vinyl, just that vinyl is cheaper and won't rot (wood won't rot either if installed properly and taken care of)

the energy savings is all in the single/double/triple plane glass.

Vinen

God is dead
from what i understand there is no energy savings hit between wood/vinyl, just that vinyl is cheaper and won't rot (wood won't rot either if installed properly and taken care of)

the energy savings is all in the single/double/triple plane glass.

Makes sense. I suspect that is why the External facing side of the window is Aluminum.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In my old house I redid all the windows over time myself, which were all a leaky mess of old 1960s aluminum. Its easy as fuck to do (at least on a brick house it is). Plus you dont take a major $20K or whatever hit to have them all done at once. I also ordered nice pellas or anderson which averaged $300-$600, depending on size, wood windows which would of cost a fortune if I had it done all at once. Only one that was expensive was the big picture window which I made out of 2 small windows on the side that opened and one large non opening window in the middle, that one I needed help with but still managed no problem. Plus I insulated around them properly using that spray foam so I knew it was done properly and no air leaks around them. I did this through the course of like 2-3 yrs, starting with the bedrooms and finishing with that big picture one.

Only windows I would not do wood is any bathroom with a shower. During the colder months you get a lot of condensation which drips down onto the wood and I got some mildew problems. Well that is, unless you live like in ther desert or some shit.

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do not buy windows from door to door salesmen or anyone that offers 1 specific line of windows and talks about how great they are.

Windows have efficiency ratings (u value) which sums up the whole unit I believe.

Fiberglass widows are a good choice as well.

Vinen

God is dead
Do not buy windows from door to door salesmen or anyone that offers 1 specific line of windows and talks about how great they are.

Windows have efficiency ratings (u value) which sums up the whole unit I believe.

Fiberglass widows are a good choice as well.

Yeah my wife and I had one salesman come over and he was like CHECK THIS OUT

PULLS OUT SHIT WINDOW
PULLS OUT LAMP
HOLY SHIT ALL THE HEAT GOES THROUGH
PULLS OUT HIS WINDOW
HOLY SHIT NO HEAT GOES THROUGH

Been ignoring that company since.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My guy used a blowtorch and then quoted me 800 a window for vinyl double hungs. Pretty much a con artist.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only windows I would not do wood is any bathroom with a shower. During the colder months you get a lot of condensation which drips down onto the wood and I got some mildew problems. Well that is, unless you live like in ther desert or some shit.
also the window directly over the kitchen sink, w/ a bunch of steam and splashings, who knows what gets in there.
Yeah my wife and I had one salesman come over and he was like CHECK THIS OUT

PULLS OUT SHIT WINDOW
PULLS OUT LAMP
HOLY SHIT ALL THE HEAT GOES THROUGH
PULLS OUT HIS WINDOW
HOLY SHIT NO HEAT GOES THROUGH

Been ignoring that company since.
Yea, the sales guy was like so can i get your number.

and i'm like why?

he said so we can contact you

i said, you can just drive out

then he said, well the "special" is only good if you lock it in by giving your number

lol

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya'll got a better way to clean the vents? i mean the actualy tubes or whatever

first i replaced my filter w/ el cheapo air filter, put wet paper towels on every register in my house (there was over 50, holy shit), and just blew 5mins each hole w/ leaf blower.

then i remembered i had this lying around Deflecto Dryer Duct Cleaning Kit, Lint Remover, Extends Up To 12 Feet, Synthetic Brush Head, Use With or Without a Power Drill

i'm gonna get another kit to add to it for 24ft, might get 2, imo this is the better solution, since it was grabbin even more dust than just the leaf blower.

unless theres a better option?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did you consider that blowing whatever dust around in your system with a leaf blower would cause it to get sucked down and settle on the internal bits of your furnace? The condenser, and such shit.

I have never heard of anyone using a leaf blower to clean their air ducts. It does not sound like a good idea to me, but I'm happy to be corrected if it's awesome.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did you consider that blowing whatever dust around in your system with a leaf blower would cause it to get sucked down and settle on the internal bits of your furnace? The condenser, and such shit.

I have never heard of anyone using a leaf blower to clean their air ducts. It does not sound like a good idea to me, but I'm happy to be corrected if it's awesome.
Yea, that's why I just did the top ones, cuz that's the air return? And the filter can catch it unless I really fucked up?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Yea, that's why I just did the top ones, cuz that's the air return? And the filter can catch it unless I really fucked up?
Your filter is going to catch all of that, but it seems pretty pointless since it's all going to suck into the filter at some point anyway.

Your best option would be to just vacuum everything that's sitting under your floor registers and then not worry about it. Duct cleaning is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.