Home Improvement

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
$2.27/sqft porcelain wood like tile. About 800sqft. About half carpet and half vinyl to remove. What kind of labor costs should I expect for a removal and install? Including grout and all other aspects relating to tile. Home Depot is quoting me around $12k for everything.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
$450 for Termidor treatment around the perimeter of my house and drilling in the spot where the fuckers are coming up. That sound like a reasonable price? House is 1550sqft.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
$2.27/sqft porcelain wood like tile. About 800sqft. About half carpet and half vinyl to remove. What kind of labor costs should I expect for a removal and install? Including grout and all other aspects relating to tile. Home Depot is quoting me around $12k for everything.

That's $15 a square ft total, not unreasonable, prob about 5 materials and ten labor. It depends on what's there and what they need to put back, hard to say. Removing carpet is crazy easy though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1st coat down...

I have them doing 1 more to get a slightly darker look. Then a couple coats of satin gloss. These little Asian cats work fast as fuck!!

The walls and trim will be an eye blinding white.

View attachment 163595View attachment 163596View attachment 163597
Man it'd be the new cool thing to get floors like your skin, but I'm yellow, so that's like pine wood floors? Ugh

Did get a decorator to consult on colors or just picked nice ones?

Also watch out on the large tiles in the bath, my bath is previously remodeled with large tiles, it's nice but I noticed a few tiles are not 100% level, like 1cmm off. No one would notice if you wear sneakers tho.

But it's an asian home so walk around barefoot and I can feel two tiles that just miss the mark. So maybe keep an eye on the tiles settling

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
$450 for Termidor treatment around the perimeter of my house and drilling in the spot where the fuckers are coming up. That sound like a reasonable price? House is 1550sqft.

I can ask our pest control tech on Friday if you can wait that long. What area you live in?

Vinen

God is dead
I'd like to think, but this house has been treated before so who knows. Its beenover week since I saw the first mid tube.

Yeah, i was going to get another estimate or two.

I'd honestly get this work done ASAP. $450 USD from a reputable company (I assume they are) is peanuts in comparison the damage that could be caused by delaying treatment.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Our house is about the same size and was closer to $800 iirc (Raleigh, NC).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody here knowledgeable about tiling?

I have a 20'X10' indoor wall I want to tile. It's painted drywall and has a slight orange peel texture. The tiles are cement based and measure 17"x5"x1". Weight per sq ft is approximately 6.5lbs as per manufacturer. I called a Mexi-tile guy for a quote, and he basically said the whole job is "no problem". Asked is he was going to use mastic and whether that's an issue on drywall and he said "no problem". Asked if paint needed to be sanded or texture removed and he said "no, no problem". Asked if the weight of the tiles themselves would present a problem on such a large indoor wall, and again he said "no problem".

So basically I suspect a problem lol.

1) Is there any special prep needed for tiling drywall?
2) Is the wall going to risk falling down and killing me?
3) Is he supposed to use mastic? I've read that should not be used on drywall because of moisture.

Picasso3

You could have him cover with hardi and it may make a cleaner job over a textured wall but i would agree its no problem.

I'd say if its paint is glossy hit with a sander, if only to make sure he doesn't drop 50 lbs of Adhesive in the floor.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

$12k seems high. Carpet can bee removed with a box cutter and a pry bar for the tack strips. Just remove it in strips rolled up because it's crazy heavy. Vinyl should be $1-$2 / sqft at most to remove. 800 sqft is not that big, so $2-$3 / sqft for install labor if they can do it in a day. Materials maybe $5 / sqft. So at most I would pay $5k for the removal of vinyl and install of tile, and just do the carpet yourself.

I would do it all myself, because for that price, you can buy/rent tools, learn a new skill, get the level of quality you want, and still screw it up completely and do it again for less than what they are quoting you. Vinyl glue removing blade on a demo hammer rental from HD is like $80/day, and 400 sqft would bee a breeze in one day. If you did it yourself, the cost would be about $3,500 after materials, and tile saw rental. Take a weekend, and be sore the next 3 days, but I've always felt better about something I did myself than something I purchased. But that's me - I'd rather have spend a weekend busting my butt and have the extra $9k in the bank.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why does my tree looking amazing and all my neighbors look like barren wastelands?
PHOTO_20180407_182721.jpg

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Been a week from hell. Lease was up in the old place and had to move, but my new house isn't remotely finished. Noise, dust, Spanish noise(music). 3 more weeks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

You may want to get a wen shop air cleaner or something. Like 100 bucks but you're going to be in the shit for a while, sucks brushing your teeth with gypsum.