Home Improvement

Vinen

God is dead
Fucking permitting christ. Getting my Garage rebuilt... not even changing the overall structure. Had to get an architect to come draw up plans, etc. -____-

Ended up getting the plans drawn up to raise the roof give a good amount of storage space in the attic of the garage.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Almost done....

muh ears!

try these Squeeeek No More/O'Berry Counter Snap Kit (#3232) For Hardwood Floors it eliminated all but one squeak i had in my house.

tip when you screw down, use the drill (fastest) setting and prepare for it to "snap" off quick

then use wood filler and stain it, i got this Minwax 21600000 High-Performance Wood Filler, 12-Ounce Can it comes out hard, and "wood like" than the toothpaste like wood filler., i'm sure you have left over paint to just dab it in.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
muh ears!

try these Squeeeek No More/O'Berry Counter Snap Kit (#3232) For Hardwood Floors it eliminated all but one squeak i had in my house.

tip when you screw down, use the drill (fastest) setting and prepare for it to "snap" off quick

then use wood filler and stain it, i got this Minwax 21600000 High-Performance Wood Filler, 12-Ounce Can it comes out hard, and "wood like" than the toothpaste like wood filler., i'm sure you have left over paint to just dab it in.

Its a feature, nightingale security floors

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
muh ears!

Good look. Will do just that. Thx

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Built this bar over the weekend out rescued lumber from tearing down an old shed in my back yard.

54690598902__47A78151-C8AF-4007-80AA-E64C46018A68.JPG

I'm picking up this Douglas Fir live edge tomorrow from a friend for the bar top.

IMG_4228.JPG

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to true the less bumpy edge and join them with biscuits or do an epoxy river pour join.

Hopefully I can get the epoxy for a decent price around here, I think that's the best option.

Either way, Ill post results in a few days.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Addition is finally finishing up this week. I paid a ton of money, so I'm not looking to pay to get my front porch fixed. The paint is generally shit, the steps are falling apart, and the handrails on the steps are falling apart. The posts have some cracks in them. I've read online that this isn't cause for concern, that it's just natural aging of the wood and you can fill the cracks with putty then scrape, sand, and paint. It worries me a little though. The steps will have to be rebuilt, it doesn't look incredibly hard to do but we will see.

Also looking to redo my deck. It's old as fuck and hasn't been taken care of. I'm hoping that I can power wash it, stain it, and fix a couple of issues with it and it will be good to go. Some good projects for the summer for sure.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I've owned a brick ranch that was built in the early 60's for the last 9 years. I recently found some mold in my basment that is finished but rarely used. I had the area tested and it came back pretty high levels of black mold. So I hired a mold abatement company to come in and clean it up. The mold abatement crew started removing drywall in the basement and soon discovered that my shower plumbing has been leaking from above into the finished areas of my basement. Turned into a total gut job of the basement because most of the drywall surfaces had black mold behind the walls. After the mold abatement and fixing several plumbing issues I am about 9k in the hole. I discovered my dishwasher was leaking so I figured fuck it I will fix this one myself to save alittle money. I pulled out the dishwasher and saw some really old tiles under the dishwasher. Long story short they tested positive for asbestos. I have these same tiles in the basement when the old carpeting got pulled up.

Here is my question. I don't have any money left over to do a professional asbestos removal. In my state you are allowed as the home owner to do your own removal. If I did this I would make sure to take the proper precautions by wearing a respirator, protective clothing and disposing of the materials properly. But should I even attempt to do this myself? Or should I just say fuck it and find the money to get it done professionally?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can do it. If it was the little beads or something you might think twice, but tiles aren't dangerous at all unless you somehow manage to inhale them. I would wear the respirator out of an abundance of caution but you probably don't even need it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Taking out asbestos tile is no big deal. I wear a mask, and try to get it all done in one go, then leave it to settle, and do a really thorough deep clean. You can do this. Save you money.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Built this bar over the weekend out rescued lumber from tearing down an old shed in my back yard.

View attachment 165662

I'm picking up this Douglas Fir live edge tomorrow from a friend for the bar top.

View attachment 165663

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to true the less bumpy edge and join them with biscuits or do an epoxy river pour join.

Hopefully I can get the epoxy for a decent price around here, I think that's the best option.

Either way, Ill post results in a few days.
Check out stonecoatcountertops.com. They sell the epoxy (and ship it to you) and even have a live edge training video, iirc.

Edit: well, there’s no joining in this one, but the technique will probably be useful to observe

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Front porch is bland like this
PHOTO_20180503_094618.jpg

I fixed up the cracking with cement, it almost blends in, but I guess stone tile would be better, is that easy enough to do? And would I be going with a whacky design or just a few big squares, and cover up the first step?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Masonry isn't too tough, definitely something a DIY-er can learn from watching youtube. I haven't done much myself but I know enough people who taught themselves and did a decent job to know that it can be done.

Google Image Search is a great way to get ideas for this kind of thing.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Front porch is bland like this
View attachment 165719

I fixed up the cracking with cement, it almost blends in, but I guess stone tile would be better, is that easy enough to do? And would I be going with a whacky design or just a few big squares, and cover up the first step?
You could also go with a concrete coating rather than tile.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Masonry isn't too tough, definitely something a DIY-er can learn from watching youtube. I haven't done much myself but I know enough people who taught themselves and did a decent job to know that it can be done.

Google Image Search is a great way to get ideas for this kind of thing.
Yup, found a website w/ patterns and calc

Floor Tile Patterns Material Planning Tool | MSI Stone

I guess besides the raw materials, the biggest investment would be a wet tile saw, and thats only like 80bucks
SKIL 3540-02 7-Inch Wet Tile Saw

i read i can use a freeform tool like an angle grinder (i have neither), but i can barely draw a straight line, so...

i was thinking about either big 12x12 basic tiling (it's only 6x5, it's small)

or go w/ this pattern (versailles???)
Create Dynamic, 3-Tile Flooring Design Patterns | Daltile
d86379fe2f126b12ece13219a5387798.png

Considering i'll have a big ass welcome mat, and that'll be a lot more cutting, but i guess thats where the tile saw pays off, doesn't look that hard, looks like a day project. (especially w/ my small 6x5 area)

pinwheel looks to be the best option for a small area
2537d1153793469-tile-layout-patterns-mvc-102f.jpg

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I guess besides the raw materials, the biggest investment would be a wet tile saw, and thats only like 80bucks
SKIL 3540-02 7-Inch Wet Tile Saw

The first time we did a tile project in my Mom's house we rented a big tile saw for like $50 a day but then later talked to a contractor and he said he just buys cheap ass tile saws at Harbor Freight for $60 and uses them until they die and throws them away. My brother bought one and used it to tile the whole top floor of his house, plus loaned it out to a couple people for other jobs and it's still going strong. Definitely a smarter way to go than renting.

I think the pattern looks cooler than the standard 12" tiles myself but that's your call.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The first time we did a tile project in my Mom's house we rented a big tile saw for like $50 a day but then later talked to a contractor and he said he just buys cheap ass tile saws at Harbor Freight for $60 and uses them until they die and throws them away. My brother bought one and used it to tile the whole top floor of his house, plus loaned it out to a couple people for other jobs and it's still going strong. Definitely a smarter way to go than renting.

I think the pattern looks cooler than the standard 12" tiles myself but that's your call.
yea, looks like the thing to do too is to get 2 or 3 different types of stone and it looks nice, i don't mind the extra work since it's just a small area.

lol there's actually a 30$ tile saw on amazon thats 4 stars QEP 22400Q 3/5 HP Torque Master Tile Saw, 4-Inch but ppl are saying it chips tiles and the fence breaks easily.

The harbor frieght deal is is 70bucks but no blade, so i might as well just get the skill w/ a blade.

Yea i think i'll make a trip out to walmart and get a whiteboard and transfer the pattern over to see what it looks like, gotta be better than just a plain concrete flat slab.