Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The first time we did a tile project in my Mom's house we rented a big tile saw for like $50 a day but then later talked to a contractor and he said he just buys cheap ass tile saws at Harbor Freight for $60 and uses them until they die and throws them away. My brother bought one and used it to tile the whole top floor of his house, plus loaned it out to a couple people for other jobs and it's still going strong. Definitely a smarter way to go than renting.

I think the pattern looks cooler than the standard 12" tiles myself but that's your call.

Problem with some of them is they are to small. They are big enough for standard 4"-6" tile, but when you get into 12" or 16" flooring tiles you need something bigger, with a bigger bed and saw that travels through entire thing.

The last job I did was tiling over my brick hearth and fireplace surround, and I just used one of those score and snap tools which actually worked great. Its quicker and less mess too. The problem with those is you cannot make intricate cutouts in tile like you can with a saw, say a small square cutout from a big tile to fit around something, but perfect for jobs which only require full length straight cuts. so pretty much like 90% of your cuts on any project, one of those suffices. I dont think I had one bad throwaway tile using that thing.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't actually used it so I'm not sure what you mean, but my brother was using 12" x 24" tiles and didn't mention having a problem.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've settled on this design
d1a7f7bf343ff0144573bd864bd201d0.png

reasons are, the biggest tile it uses are 8x12, most of the other designs call for a huge 12x18 , and thats probably good in a kitchen, but this is only a 6x5 porch. i figure i can get 4 different types of tile per size.

and these are the porcelin tiles, that are rated for outdoor, good for frost, and have a good friction rating
cc18c892c2274c24d29e68d815082cef.png

i figure the 13x13 are pretty awesome, i can 4x4 from it (i know i wouldn't be able to get 4 from a 12x12, cuz there'd be like a few mm, from the blade so it wouldn't be an exact 4x4), just gotta get the wife ok, oh and if anyone has some cool color combos from this, that'd be cool, i'm colorblind, so thats pretty bad for me.

Should i tile the walkway while i'm at it?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've owned a brick ranch that was built in the early 60's for the last 9 years. I recently found some mold in my basment that is finished but rarely used. I had the area tested and it came back pretty high levels of black mold. So I hired a mold abatement company to come in and clean it up. The mold abatement crew started removing drywall in the basement and soon discovered that my shower plumbing has been leaking from above into the finished areas of my basement. Turned into a total gut job of the basement because most of the drywall surfaces had black mold behind the walls. After the mold abatement and fixing several plumbing issues I am about 9k in the hole. I discovered my dishwasher was leaking so I figured fuck it I will fix this one myself to save alittle money. I pulled out the dishwasher and saw some really old tiles under the dishwasher. Long story short they tested positive for asbestos. I have these same tiles in the basement when the old carpeting got pulled up.

Here is my question. I don't have any money left over to do a professional asbestos removal. In my state you are allowed as the home owner to do your own removal. If I did this I would make sure to take the proper precautions by wearing a respirator, protective clothing and disposing of the materials properly. But should I even attempt to do this myself? Or should I just say fuck it and find the money to get it done professionally?

Realize I'm a bit late but non-friable asbestos is pretty safe to remove, just don't bust the tiles up into powder as you're removing them. Friable asbestos is a lot more dangerous but it's a lot rarer to find.

Friable vs non-friable asbestos | Breakthrough Group

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Month or so ago we bought a prebuilt sandbox. It was some composite material that we put together. IT FUCKING SUCKED. The screws stripped going in and the canopy was horse shit. Returned it and built our own. Still making the cover next weekend. It's big - 7x7. Came out to about $150 in materials sans sand. Plywood on top is just to keep shit out of it until we construct the cover. Nothing fancy but solid as hell.

IMG_20180505_165711.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just finished a desk that I ran into a design issue about a year ago and got too frustrated to continue, but redesigned last month. Nice to get out from under a project that haunted me so I can move on to screwing other projects up.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I need some help.

I am looking for LED Lights that I can put under the cabinets in my kitchen. They must be hardwired and change colors via a remote.

We are finally starting our kitchen remodel and we are going white cabinets with white counter tops, I figured the color from the LED would be pretty cool at night and allow us to do seasonal them like green and red at Xmas, orange during Halloween etc etc.

Also highly considering installing some ceiling speakers in the living room, dining and kitchen. Looking for some advice on how I should set this up and what to buy. Bluetooth or wired? Battery on hardwired etc?

Thanks bros. I will post some photos soon.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
am i being a negative nancy or does anyone else see that it's just 3 rows of patterned tile? looks bad
1e3a8946a8b39655d5eb2382934a40fd.jpg

I'll get the tile saw soon and just wait a bit for a sale, Menards usually have 11% off once or twice a month

i dont' know if i saved a lot of money, but i got a ton of stuff for free after rebate, for instance
58ceb697b66c061b6f3b3e61479fd42a.png

mostly, i keep on reusing the same rebate to buy stuff, i mean free shelves after rebate, just gotta pay 8bucks upfront, or a canvas cube for free, just gotta pay 5bucks up front.

The rebate system is what keeps me here vs lowes/HD (which are all a block away anyway).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, the gaps between the tiles are too large in the long seams. That could have been done better.

I use the Menard's 11% deal for everything. It happens often enough that it's no hardship to wait for it to come along.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the gaps between the tiles are too large in the long seams. That could have been done better.

I use the Menard's 11% deal for everything. It happens often enough that it's no hardship to wait for it to come along.
yea, the 43bucks i have waiting to be processed is gonna pay for my tiles!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
GOTTEM

1525872616743.png

fucker has been running wild on my lawn for the last couple years, digging about 200 feet of tunnels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users