Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The short version is - if you’ve been fertilizing with any frequency and/or your lawn is old (even if not well maintained) then a couple applications of humic acid on its own will have a visible impact on turf growth and health. Beyond that though, you’ll really only benefit by applying the humic with or alongside whatever else you’re applying.

The longer version is that humic acid basically creates a weak molecular bond with nutrients (in your case, nutrients that are already existing in the soil) and this bond makes them bio-available to the plant. An oversimplified analogy is the difference between supplementing iron by eating iron shavings versus eating vegetables high in iron. Your body can’t do anything with the iron shavings because it’s not chelated (bio-available in that form). But the vegetable has already processed its iron and made it organic and bio-available so when you eat the vegetable you can actually absorb its iron and benefit from it.

It looks like humic acid alone isn’t nearly as effective as I originally thought, but that’s not to say it’s not effective. Keep doing the things that encourage your grass to grow (mow frequently, water regularly, and fertilize the soil) and the humic acid will allow for more robust and vigorous growth. This in turn will cause more frequent root cycling (where the plant’s roots die and it grows new roots), which leads to bio-available nutrients and carbon in the soil, which leads to increased microbiotic activity, which leads to more robust and vigorous plant growth, which leads to... you get the idea :)

This guy goes all in and says buying top soil is a waste of money because you can take any regular old soil and turn it into rich top soil in as little as two months by using humic acid and practicing the methods described above.
where do you even buy just soil in a bag? cuz the lowest quality soil i've seen is top soil, and i saw that potting soil is really just different amounts of top soil + peet moss.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
North of Austin, every Home Depot and Lowes in my area have a plethora of bagged dirt options that do not include any peat or fillers. Maybe some wood grind. Dillo dirt is the shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Moving into new house this Saturday. Pretty excited! Love that I'm back into this thread.

So since we're all about lawns right now, how do I fix a diiveted to shit yard? Previous owners had a very large dog, and so the entire backyard is just un-even with small holes. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and in the winter time when the yard is super soft, I'm sure the large dog would play and just rip it to shreds. It's not noticeable holes until you start walking on it, and you realize it's uneven as shit. The grass we do have is nothing to write home about, but because I have 3 kids that will be playing outside every day, stripping it totally down to nothing and starting over isn't really an option.

Any ideas?
20180622_113323.jpg20180622_113319.jpg20180622_113221.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you want to level it out, you're going to have to spread a lot of top soil, pack it with a roller, and then seed. You'll have to keep the rugrats off it for a few weeks, but that's it. Not really another good way to fix a yard full of divots. Or, live with it this summer, and do the yard repair in the fall so the grass comes in, winters, and then fills in next spring.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
You could try, over a long period of time and using a walk-behind spreader, to add small amounts of soil or sand to your existing lawn. Lightly raking it after will knock the soil off the peaks and fill the valleys. You have to do this many times. It's a slow process and can take months.

Siliconemelons

Re: gutters.

Indeed just get a seamless guy to do it. My dad bought all the stuff needed to do his house at home depot- a dude in a truck stopped by while he was up starting- he was like "can you still take it back?"

It was like 75$ more installed and seamless than all the crap he just bought. Sold.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Moving into new house this Saturday. Pretty excited! Love that I'm back into this thread.

So since we're all about lawns right now, how do I fix a diiveted to shit yard? Previous owners had a very large dog, and so the entire backyard is just un-even with small holes. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and in the winter time when the yard is super soft, I'm sure the large dog would play and just rip it to shreds. It's not noticeable holes until you start walking on it, and you realize it's uneven as shit. The grass we do have is nothing to write home about, but because I have 3 kids that will be playing outside every day, stripping it totally down to nothing and starting over isn't really an option.

Any ideas?
View attachment 168920View attachment 168921View attachment 168922

I've been doing this (bought house in aug), it's annoying. Like you said, there are some spots where i walk and my slipper disappears, fucking hell.

I've tried

50/50
top soil/sand

this does pretty well, lately i've done

40/40/20
top soil/sand/peet moss

this works better, i'm going off that peet moss is good at retaining water and prevents compaction.

but lately i've just gone w/ pure topsoil

It takes a while for the soil to settle in and get taken up by your existing grass and get "held together" by the grass roots, instead of just loose soil.

It'll be ALOT of top soil you gotta add btw,

Like just your first pic alone, you'll need like 50bags of 40lb top soil (thats if you want to just go pure top soil)

one you just open 40lb of dirt, you notice it really doesn't cover much area, and if you have deep divots, it covers even less, heh.

Try just working w/ top soil this vid is good

just take the bags and place em where you want to pour and use a plastic rake (maybe metal, but you want the rake to be springy). to try to fill it in.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Any ideas?
View attachment 168920View attachment 168921View attachment 168922
I don’t know of a low effort option that’ll keep the yard intact, unfortunately. Unless someone knows of a better way, I think you’ll need to simply put some soil in a wheelbarrow and use a shovel and rake to fill in the divets until they’re up to the level of the surrounding soil. Just make sure you can still see the leaf blades of the grass you’re covering or you’ll kill it.

I’ve heard lawn rollers can help, but in my experience (heavy clay soil here in NC) I wouldn’t say they’re essential. I rented one from Home Depot for ~$13 for 4 hours a couple months ago. I filled it with as much water as it’d hold and it was about 80-100 lbs when full. I didn’t notice any significant changes to my lawn even after double passes both laterally and horizontally (4 passes over the whole lawn), but I’m willing to accept that operator error/improper conditions could be to blame.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Lawns are way more effort than they're worth.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is it green? Can I mow it? Is it non hazardous? It's lawn!

I might feel different if I didn't have 2 acres to maintain, but I still feel like I wouldn't give a shit. Yard work sucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Posted, finished tiling
PHOTO_20180627_121659.jpg

Next is to put concrete pavers under these stairs,

I think I'll just put some fabric underneath, a bit sand and that's it?
PHOTO_20180627_121749.jpg

PHOTO_20180627_121800.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Posted, finished tiling
View attachment 169062

Next is to put concrete pavers under these stairs,

I think I'll just put some fabric underneath, a bit sand and that's it?
View attachment 169063
View attachment 169064

Is the tiling on your entryway? It looks really nice. How long did it take you to do it?

The previous owners of the house I'm in did a shit job on wooden front and back porches and I'm looking to replace them with something more durable for WA rain, but I'd rather not do just a concrete stoop if I'm already going to be going through the trouble of tearing the whole thing up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is the tiling on your entryway? It looks really nice. How long did it take you to do it?

The previous owners of the house I'm in did a shit job on wooden front and back porches and I'm looking to replace them with something more durable for WA rain, but I'd rather not do just a concrete stoop if I'm already going to be going through the trouble of tearing the whole thing up.
here's the progress posts, you can see it was just a concrete slab, not horrible, but just bleh

The guys in here helped me a long, design options, questions, etc.

post is about a month long, but i did it sporadically, and my porch was covered (so i didn't worry about the weather) and i had the flu for two weeks, so i'd say 2 strong weekends, MUCH LESS if it's just a regular tiling job, but cutting every tile was a bit labor intensive (w/ constant mm measurement).
Home Improvement
Home Improvement
Home Improvement
Home Improvement
Home Improvement

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Here’s a first world problem for you guys - my AC works great, but the air that comes out of the vents is like 60 degrees. My google-fu is failing me and I’m not seeing what I can do to make it more comfortable. We have the thermostat set to drop to 72 at 8PM so it’s a little cooler when we sleep, so at 8:01 the bedrooms feel like they’re 65 degrees while the air around the thermostat is still 74 or whatever the ambient temp was when it kicked on.

Off the top of my head I’m thinking the easiest solution would be to place additional temp readers for the thermostat and have it determine temp by averaging them. I had something like that in my 6k sq ft warehouse at my work and it did a pretty good job of maintaining a comfortable temp.

Vinen

God is dead
Here’s a first world problem for you guys - my AC works great, but the air that comes out of the vents is like 60 degrees. My google-fu is failing me and I’m not seeing what I can do to make it more comfortable. We have the thermostat set to drop to 72 at 8PM so it’s a little cooler when we sleep, so at 8:01 the bedrooms feel like they’re 65 degrees while the air around the thermostat is still 74 or whatever the ambient temp was when it kicked on.

Off the top of my head I’m thinking the easiest solution would be to place additional temp readers for the thermostat and have it determine temp by averaging them. I had something like that in my 6k sq ft warehouse at my work and it did a pretty good job of maintaining a comfortable temp.

Additional Temp readers would be the best way to go. My thermostat is in a hallway that does not have a register in it. Post-Renovation we plan on putting the temp reading in my sons room as there is the most sensitive location for temperature (too cold he wakes up... too hot he wakes up... or thats just my wife bitching)

Siliconemelons

From my basic, florida potato understanding of home AC is that- out of the handler they look for 18-20+ degree difference than the air that is incoming to the unit (aka the ambient temperature - generally what the thermo stat says the current temp is) - you then generally have a 1-4ish degree difference from the - direct out of handler temperature to the out of the vent temp - my house's AC for its flaws, has very good condition duct board and I am only 1-2 degree diff from out of handler to out of vent.

So, see what your out of top of handler temp is... then see what your average out of vent temp is (as you said 60) - so assume the out of handler temp is somewhere around 55-58 - that puts you at a 78ish degree general temp in the house?

If the temp out of vents is way to different from handler temp - there may be an issue there.

my AC is barely at spec, it gets only an 18degree split on the super hot hot 10+ degree days... in normal 80's of FL it runs better @ a good 20/25 split, and when its "nice" and mid 70s outside it runs in the 25-28 split range.

a better sized unit should be producing a way better split... 18/20 is a "minimum" really.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A couple of improvements I’ve done over the last year. Have a few more planned, a locker system in the hallway opposite the picture here, some back yard /porch stuff, and a gaming table (not technically home improvement I guess but I’m going to build it myself). The bookshelf was made with scrap wood from around the neighborhood and ikea bookshelves. Cost around $500 I think. Hallway molding was cheap and easy as fuck, probably $30.

Next is back porch. We stained and got new furniture, will add a brick area to house my pellet smoker soon, will put pics up when done.

666E72A9-D283-43A4-A8DB-F6A4E039618C.jpeg

2AB707A8-AADE-41AF-A9E6-7EE553AD3CB9.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A couple of improvements I’ve done over the last year. Have a few more planned, a locker system in the hallway opposite the picture here, some back yard /porch stuff, and a gaming table (not technically home improvement I guess but I’m going to build it myself). The bookshelf was made with scrap wood from around the neighborhood and ikea bookshelves. Cost around $500 I think. Hallway molding was cheap and easy as fuck, probably $30.

Next is back porch. We stained and got new furniture, will add a brick area to house my pellet smoker soon, will put pics up when done.

View attachment 169185

View attachment 169184
how do you approach the shelves? sanding filler? etc, also noob explanation would be cool.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
how do you approach the shelves? sanding filler? etc, also noob explanation would be cool.

They’re just ikea shelves. Billy, with an additional extension for another shelf.

No sanding, no filler. I made a base out of scrap wood, since it’s sitting on carpet. The base is secured to the wall. I also mounted scrap soffets to the wall as spacers, because the shelves sit away from the wall due to the base. You could botch the base instead, but I also wanted something to secure the shelves against the wall without searching for studs/drywall anchors. I secured them with small metal angle brackets.

CC2EF1E0-4970-4492-B09C-3A9E6A0BAB0C.jpegD4EB37EE-753C-403C-B20B-4F2D3DFA53C4.jpeg

Then I mounted trim boards to the front of the shelves with trim nails.

8A74A9D8-DDDB-4243-81D0-9E61BB9D762B.jpeg

Once that’s all done, I mounted a 2x4 to the ceiling, and made small bases similar to the bottom, laid those on top of the shelves and mounted them to the wall and the shelves so they are solid. Those were measured so when I put the top trim on it would be flush with the shelves front. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of that step, but you probably get the concept.

Then I mounted the large 12 inch trim board on to those 2x4s/mini bases. Then attached crown mounding to that. Since it’s such a wide piece, I mounted an extra piece of floor molding in between it and the final crown piece, makes the crown look a lot bigger. Added floor trim that matches what we already have.

43D93626-226B-4AE5-AFB7-5FF924AA6FB2.jpeg

Then caulked all the seams, corners. Use painters tape when caulking. It works like you think it should with paint, super clean lines, and you peel the tape immediately after you’ve laid your bead and smoothed it. Serious pro-tip.

You could paint these shelves to make them look more like real built ins, but honestly they look good enough that we left it alone. You could also plug all the shelf holes, but wife wanted to be able to adjust them in the future, so we just got the hole stickers (made specifically for hiding holes on shelves) from amazon and covered them that way instead.

The whole project took me a day and a half completely by myself. Made the wife and kid leave for the weekend so I could knock it out.

Overall we are really happy with it. All the neighbor wives got jealous, the husbands got annoyed. One guy ended up paying someone $2k to do some custom ones, and they like ours better.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
All the neighbor wives got jealous, the husbands got annoyed. One guy ended up paying someone $2k to do some custom ones, and they like ours better.
What is best in life? To crush your neighbors, see them annoyed before you, and to hear the jealousy of their women.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users