Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Here is another cheap and easy one. I think all these total cost like $24. Just short table legs from Lowe’s. Paint/stain, cut them to size, run a screw through the top. Makes your lower cabinets look better/custom. More wife jealousy from the neighbors.

648F0D78-813D-422E-A181-720372DDC5FE.jpeg61B62D3C-DFEC-4AF5-98F6-B9E29C04078A.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
God those must be a pita to clean behind.

Didn’t think of that. We have a roomba which keeps all the hair and stuff picked up so nothing really gets back there, haven’t cleaned behind them in a year, looks fine.

Would not recommend for non-roomba people!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, my first thought was how many times would I kick them and accidentally break one? It does look nice though!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know a good way to install an AC unit when your windows are all crank style?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know a good way to install an AC unit when your windows are all crank style?

Replace the window you’re looking to add it to is all I would know. Doing an AC window unit, I don’t think crank is going to work. None that I’ve seen anyways.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Couldn't take the heat anymore, my old man helped me rig up a standalone AC unit. Even at 10,000 BTU it mostly just cools this one little room, the thermostat in the main room hasn't budged hours later. But at least my bedroom isn't hotter than the devil's anus.

Vinen

God is dead
AC went during a heat wave, so new one and furnace soon

Ouch. I'm looking to install a new AC system for the 2nd and 3rd floor my house. Have a 2 TON right now but it can't keep up with the demand so thinking of upgrading to 3 TON.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of AC, is there a good way to tell if your AC is too heavy for the window? We have aluminum windows with plastic frames. When I put the unit in the window, I can see the window and frame both bending a bit. Obviously, it's holding for now or I would have been able to answer my own question. But I know plastic weakens as it ages. Is there going to be a point(house was built in the 70s, windows are original) where the plastic has aged enough such that an AC unit it used to handle will now cause the frame to crack?

I'm not a huge fan of those supports you can add to the window because it doesn't look like they will play nice with aluminum siding.

Siliconemelons

If you have more than 1 window unit, or heck, if you have a "big" window unit - you really should look into getting a 3-4 head mini split system - a lot of them now days are press fit flexible copper tube and fairly simple electrical wiring for the outside compressor.

27000 BTU Tri Zone Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heat Pump - SEER 23 893088008132 | eBay

2k for a 3 unit, you can get singles for sub 1k - they work a lot better than window or portable units and are even better power efficiency.

Open homes they are great - and if designed around them - but most homes that are built around central AC they can not be as effective.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Speaking of AC, is there a good way to tell if your AC is too heavy for the window? We have aluminum windows with plastic frames. When I put the unit in the window, I can see the window and frame both bending a bit. Obviously, it's holding for now or I would have been able to answer my own question. But I know plastic weakens as it ages. Is there going to be a point(house was built in the 70s, windows are original) where the plastic has aged enough such that an AC unit it used to handle will now cause the frame to crack?

I'm not a huge fan of those supports you can add to the window because it doesn't look like they will play nice with aluminum siding.
i had one of those back in nj Jeacent Universal AC Window Air Conditioner Support Bracket Light Duty, it had aluminum siding as well, it didn't mar it. actually you could probably remove the piece that angles down to support the bracket, just having it come out and displace the weight is enough i think.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

As Siliconemelons Siliconemelons mentioned above, mini splits are awesome for local climate control. We installed one at my work and it kept 2k sq ft of open floor space whatever temp we set it at, even with 50 people in there (waiting in lines). I think the total cost (including installation) was $2k, but I know you can get smaller units for much less and if you’re handy you can install yourself.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my walk in pantry feels a bit warm (put in a thermo to see). one wall is insulated and is opposite the garage, the other two arent.

Leaving the door open seems fine, i think if i have time i'll cut 2 in off the bottom and see if that improves circulation. (i plan to replace the door anyway, it's an old basic hollow door).

any ideas?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
my walk in pantry feels a bit warm (put in a thermo to see). one wall is insulated and is opposite the garage, the other two arent.

Leaving the door open seems fine, i think if i have time i'll cut 2 in off the bottom and see if that improves circulation. (i plan to replace the door anyway, it's an old basic hollow door).

any ideas?
If there’s a closed room with no air register, it’s gonna get warm in the summer (and cold in the winter). Cutting the bottom of the door probably won’t help much as there’s no impetus for air flow/exchange. The easiest solution (if you’re very concerned about the temperature) would be to use a louvered door.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I took a week off of work and re-sided one of my rentals.

Materials: $3,200
Labor: ~$2,000

Tear off: 2 Days
Paint Prep: 1 Day
Siding: 3 Days
Caulking, Touch-up, Vents, Outlets: 1 Day
Labor: 2 People, myself and one hired-hand

UCJeGzj.jpg

ZcggwC6.png

nghQwO7.jpg

4RAO7pu.jpg

4hAnh5u.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A couple of improvements I’ve done over the last year. Have a few more planned, a locker system in the hallway opposite the picture here, some back yard /porch stuff, and a gaming table (not technically home improvement I guess but I’m going to build it myself). The bookshelf was made with scrap wood from around the neighborhood and ikea bookshelves. Cost around $500 I think. Hallway molding was cheap and easy as fuck, probably $30.

Next is back porch. We stained and got new furniture, will add a brick area to house my pellet smoker soon, will put pics up when done.

View attachment 169185

View attachment 169184
Damn nice job. Props. The shelves are bad ass but that computer desk looks totally unusable for anyone but a small child?

Also, that room is so white suburbia! Lol. You could find that in a better home and gardens magazine. Haha

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Damn nice job. Props. The shelves are bad ass but that computer desk looks totally unusable for anyone but a small child?

Also, that room is so white suburbia! Lol. You could find that in a better home and gardens magazine. Haha

Thanks. It’s my wife’s desk, all it ever has on it is a keyboard, monitor, and sometimes some paper. Not room for much else.

Yeah, I live in white suburbia :p