Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I took a week off of work and re-sided one of my rentals.

Materials: $3,200
Labor: ~$2,000

Tear off: 2 Days
Paint Prep: 1 Day
Siding: 3 Days
Caulking, Touch-up, Vents, Outlets: 1 Day
Labor: 2 People, myself and one hired-hand

UCJeGzj.jpg

ZcggwC6.png

nghQwO7.jpg

4RAO7pu.jpg

4hAnh5u.jpg

Nice work, looks like a brand new house.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I took a week off of work and re-sided one of my rentals.

Materials: $3,200
Labor: ~$2,000

Tear off: 2 Days
Paint Prep: 1 Day
Siding: 3 Days
Caulking, Touch-up, Vents, Outlets: 1 Day
Labor: 2 People, myself and one hired-hand

That looks great! What kind of siding material did you go with?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well smart thermos didn't install smartly, my furnace is new so i had a c wire already (it was unused but wrapped at the thermos connection), i double checked all the wires that came from the furnace matched the connections (they're all actually correctly color coded), after the smart thermos didn't turn on i reconnected the old thermos, and the ac kicked on simply, so at least w/ that everything works.

amazon is sending me another on monday, we'll see what happens then.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Looks really great, what a major improvement! Excellent work.

I dug another 100 yards or so to add to my irrigation today. I'm exhausted, but I've nearly got everything done that I want to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Looks really great, what a major improvement! Excellent work.

I dug another 100 yards or so to add to my irrigation today. I'm exhausted, but I've nearly got everything done that I want to.
With hand tools??

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Plumbing issue/question!

I started hearing a constant draining/running water noise coming from the floor drain in my laundry room. There's no water on the floor or anything. Just the sound coming from the drain.

I snooped around and found that if I shut off the water leading directly to the laundry room sink the sound away. The faucet isn't visibly leaking. The basin is dry. Something is going on with the water once it reaches the faucet ... and is just draining out somewhere making a racket in muh floor drain.

halp computer!

Vinen

God is dead
Plumbing issue/question!

I started hearing a constant draining/running water noise coming from the floor drain in my laundry room. There's no water on the floor or anything. Just the sound coming from the drain.

I snooped around and found that if I shut off the water leading directly to the laundry room sink the sound away. The faucet isn't visibly leaking. The basin is dry. Something is going on with the water once it reaches the faucet ... and is just draining out somewhere making a racket in muh floor drain.

halp computer!

Are you able to follow the whole pipe?

Garage is almost done... 2nd Floor Renovation has turned into 1st + 2nd + exterior renovations. (Replacing Wooden Soffits with a more modern material and reframing all windows).

Going to start the Exterior work now and get the interior work done in a few months so my Wife and I have more time to locate a place to stay. Renovation is too large for us to remain in the house while work is being performed.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So new house has a huge family room/living room, whatever it's called, and I'd love to get a huge shag rug to throw down. Except rugs are insanely expensive. Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy quality rugs at a decent price?

Vinen

God is dead
So new house has a huge family room/living room, whatever it's called, and I'd love to get a huge shag rug to throw down. Except rugs are insanely expensive. Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy quality rugs at a decent price?

"Quality Rugs are a decent price"

Pick 2
Quality, Price, Size

That said. Check out Home Depot. Thats where I pickup my dogs shit carpet (dog is dumb as a brick in the winter and turns a cheap carpet into a bathroom). Seems to be a good selection of carpets in the 100-200 range.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Plumbing issue/question!

halp computer!

Can you take a pic of the sink/plumbing? But without a pic, if you have running water yet no obvious flood/leak, chances are its just a bad ball valve somewhere.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, but where is the water going? How is it getting to the waste lines? Even with a bad ball valve, there should be some visible presentation of water.

This is very curious. The water has to be getting to the waste line somehow. Track that down first, then we can trouble shoot.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Did you guys run off the Canadian Plumber or something?

Adebisi Adebisi , do you have a trap primer on your floor drain that is tied into your line so that your shutoff valve kills the feed, but when it's on it drips water into the drain to keep the trap wet?

basement-floor-drain-inspirational-basement-floor-drain-trap-primer-of-basement-floor-drain.jpg

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Plumbing issue/question!

halp computer!

Do you have a toilet nearby?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Did you guys run off the Canadian Plumber or something?

Adebisi Adebisi , do you have a trap primer on your floor drain that is tied into your line so that your shutoff valve kills the feed, but when it's on it drips water into the drain to keep the trap wet?

basement-floor-drain-inspirational-basement-floor-drain-trap-primer-of-basement-floor-drain.jpg
This sounds right to me

thank you Big Ern

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So i was running up and down basement/1st floor trying to install a smart thermo (powers on, w/ a c wire, just ac no turn on, fuq), anyway had to pee, and remembered i have a bathroom here. flip up the lid no water in the bowl, probably haven't used it since i bought the house. flushed and water is there, a few hours later it's still there.

could it have just evaporated w/ no use in a year?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So i was running up and down basement/1st floor trying to install a smart thermo (powers on, w/ a c wire, just ac no turn on, fuq), anyway had to pee, and remembered i have a bathroom here. flip up the lid no water in the bowl, probably haven't used it since i bought the house. flushed and water is there, a few hours later it's still there.

could it have just evaporated w/ no use in a year?

Yes, we have this problem all the time in one of our offices that isn't used. We have to go in once a month otherwise the water from the S trap evaporates and all the sewer gas starts coming up.

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Yes, we have this problem all the time in one of our offices that isn't used. We have to go in once a month otherwise the water from the S trap evaporates and all the sewer gas starts coming up.
We covered this once before a few years ago. Put a few tbsp. of oil down the drain. It will float on the water in the trap and prevent it from evaporating.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users