Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Stuff looking brand new is a problem that will take care of itself fairly quickly.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately I need to expedite it as the reason I did it was to avoid uncomfortable questions from the imminent home inspection. I’m looking to list the house and move in the next month or so.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately I need to expedite it as the reason I did it was to avoid uncomfortable questions from the imminent home inspection. I’m looking to list the house and move in the next month or so.
I was pretty uncomfortable with the overt deception of making something brand new look old, so I spent several hours power washing my whole deck and foundation. Now that everything is clean, the soffit doesn’t stand out at all and looks no different than the soffit at the roof line.

I was a little too aggressive with the power washer on the deck boards and left some them with high spots. Since I’m selling the house and it’s in the starter home price range, I’m not too worried about it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone try any sort of marble repair? my bathroom marble vanity has an end to end crack like someone karate chopped it.

also i've networked my first floor and thinking about how to nab my basement, i posted that pic of a flex drill bit to get down the floor, but i think i've found the sweet spot from my basement (boiler room) to my 1st floor server closet. the cool part is the boiler room is in the middle and connects to the basement bedroom, entertainment room, workout room.

I'm deciding if i want to have 5 wires stream from the floor, or just have 1 wire and put a switch in the basement/boilerroom instead.

first i have to make the hole.

can i just use a spade bit to drill from the basement to the first floor? i've also checked all the pipes and none are in the way.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm deciding if i want to have 5 wires stream from the floor, or just have 1 wire and put a switch in the basement/boilerroom instead.

first i have to make the hole.

can i just use a spade bit to drill from the basement to the first floor? i've also checked all the pipes and none are in the way.

I would do it the other way around, drill from the top floor down to the basement. For one, you wont get a fucking hole in the middle of your floor or somewhere or inside a wall.Also you will not get tearout in our floor, rather the basement. You can properly locate the hole for minimum damage, I always drill mine 1/2 into the kick molding, right in the corner for minimum damage. You can also drill a pilot hole if youre unsure where in the basement this is.

Also spade bit, although it can be done with one, is not the best bit for the job, its too choppy and unclean. Use a auger bit instead. The holes they leave behind are a lot cleaner with minimal tearout.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would do it the other way around, drill from the top floor down to the basement. For one, you wont get a fucking hole in the middle of your floor or somewhere or inside a wall.Also you will not get tearout in our floor, rather the basement. You can properly locate the hole for minimum damage, I always drill mine 1/2 into the kick molding, right in the corner for minimum damage. You can also drill a pilot hole if youre unsure where in the basement this is.

Also spade bit, although it can be done with one, is not the best bit for the job, its too choppy and unclean. Use a auger bit instead. The holes they leave behind are a lot cleaner with minimal tearout.
oh you make good points, guess i'll get a flex auger bit. I can still use the hole i cut out for the outlet to drill down i think, i can just brace it against the stud/drywall and drill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok this guy looks pretty legit in marble repair
yup gonna do this soon-ish, i have a huge horizontal slab i can remove and take to homestore to find a piece of marble that will match, they also have the epoxy, so i guess i just need a bunch of razorblades, is cutting still a thing?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx I finally reinstalled my top rail so you needn’t worry about my safety. I set my lawn mower deck high and bagged up the leaves to burn. I wish I had some pictures of what this back yard looked like when I first moved here five years ago.

A4972FE1-6ECC-401B-92E8-F047D7C2193A.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is it me, or does all that mist look like smoke? it looks like a mini apocalypse back there.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Why not just mulch the leaves?
There's too many and it's been record high rainfall this year. My poor baby grass is already struggling and doesn't need the added stress of continuously soggy ground/fungus from leaf rot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is the best way to get rid of a thin layer of leaves, is to mulch w/ lawn mower, then blow em into a pile?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
is the best way to get rid of a thin layer of leaves, is to mulch w/ lawn mower, then blow em into a pile?

Are you just putting them out on the street for leaf collection? If so, just blow them into a pile, rake them onto a tarp and then drag it to the street. Or just blow them all to the street depending on your yard setup. Mulching seems like a wasted step in that scenario.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you just putting them out on the street for leaf collection? If so, just blow them into a pile, rake them onto a tarp and then drag it to the street. Or just blow them all to the street depending on your yard setup. Mulching seems like a wasted step in that scenario.
i don't see my neighbors blow into the st, so i don't want to be the singled out neighbor, i've been trying to blow it all into the backyard where i can corral shit, but it's also pretty fucking windy too, was the issue i was having this week.

the only good, clean way i had so far was to use my blower as a vac and just suck up each leaf w/o blowing, but that was tedious.

oh this is basically the first time i've dealt w/ leaves in my life btw, when i moved in last year, i was in ny for a few months so leaves just fucked up my lawn.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The city website should list if when and how they do leaf pick up. They'll usually list dates they do collection and whether they need to be bagged or not.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My mower has a high lift blade so I attach my bag and set the deck as high as possible and it sucks all the leaves up (unless they’re soaked and matted). If the quantity is low then just mulching is ok, but I don’t have a mulching blade.