Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My mower has a high lift blade so I attach my bag and set the deck as high as possible and it sucks all the leaves up (unless they’re soaked and matted). If the quantity is low then just mulching is ok, but I don’t have a mulching blade.
yea i was mulching fine w/ my mower until the big bolt connected to the handle and mower dropped off. so i gotta find a matching nut now, tried to use strong magnets near where i lost it, kinda gave up.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
This is kind of a home improvement idea and a product review. The Master Bath is far away from the water heater in my house, so far that it takes almost 45 seconds to a minute to get hot water for a shower or a shave every morning. That's a lot of water going down the drain. So...

I just installed one of these. Watts Hot Water Recirculating Pump. I got it at Lowes.

i-FQHHX4X-L.jpg

That blue pump sits atop the water heater where it is attached to the output of the tank. It has a timer on it that I set to about 1/2 an hour before we typically use that bathroom and shuts off about an hour later. That black thing with the four threaded fittings is a valve that intercepts the plumbing from the stops under the sink in that bathroom. The lines that used to go from the stops to the faucet now go from this valve to the faucet and new lines connect the stops to this valve. Harder to write than to do.

What happens is at the appointed time, the pump starts circulating hot water from the heater to that valve which is at the sink furthest away from the heater. The cold water in the pipe is pushed through that valve by the incoming hot water and returned to the heater. When the water at the valve is hot it closes. The pump can continue to run. The back pressure won't hurt it. Now, you've filled the main hot water trunk line in your house with hot water and that water is almost instantly available to all your faucets/valves. It takes 2-3 seconds for hot water to reach the sink or the shower now. No wasted water. The whole thing is totally transparent. You'd never know it was there.

It took about an hour to do, not counting the 2 hours I spent installing an outlet next to the water heater to run the pump. I also had to replace the pop-off valve ($15) and the drain valve ($8). They were corroded shut and they never sealed again after I messed with them. Oh well, it's a very old heater. The pump was $180. I'm really happy with it and will set some other times on it for like when I do dishes after dinner.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
This is kind of a home improvement idea and a product review. The Master Bath is far away from the water heater in my house, so far that it takes almost 45 seconds to a minute to get hot water for a shower or a shave every morning. That's a lot of water going down the drain. So...

I just installed one of these. Watts Hot Water Recirculating Pump. I got it at Lowes.

i-FQHHX4X-L.jpg

That blue pump sits atop the water heater where it is attached to the output of the tank. It has a timer on it that I set to about 1/2 an hour before we typically use that bathroom and shuts off about an hour later. That black thing with the four threaded fittings is a valve that intercepts the plumbing from the stops under the sink in that bathroom. The lines that used to go from the stops to the faucet now go from this valve to the faucet and new lines connect the stops to this valve. Harder to write than to do.

What happens is at the appointed time, the pump starts circulating hot water from the heater to that valve which is at the sink furthest away from the heater. The cold water in the pipe is pushed through that valve by the incoming hot water and returned to the heater. When the water at the valve is hot it closes. The pump can continue to run. The back pressure won't hurt it. Now, you've filled the main hot water trunk line in your house with hot water and that water is almost instantly available to all your faucets/valves. It takes 2-3 seconds for hot water to reach the sink or the shower now. No wasted water. The whole thing is totally transparent. You'd never know it was there.

It took about an hour to do, not counting the 2 hours I spent installing an outlet next to the water heater to run the pump. I also had to replace the pop-off valve ($15) and the drain valve ($8). They were corroded shut and they never sealed again after I messed with them. Oh well, it's a very old heater. The pump was $180. I'm really happy with it and will set some other times on it for like when I do dishes after dinner.

How do you think this would work on a manifold system? Built our house 5 years ago and it has individual runs to every location going through a manifold.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
How do you think this would work on a manifold system? Built our house 5 years ago and it has individual runs to every location going through a manifold.
I'm thinking it wouldn't work as well as it does on a trunk line system like in my house but it would work. You would be pumping hot water to the manifold and on to the fixture that had the valve. I don't think the individual long runs to other fixtures would benefit beyond having hot water in the manifold but shorter runs would.

However, you could always install more valves at key locations (they are sold separately for around $50) to draw HW to those fixtures. If my house was plumbed with a manifold system, I would have put a valve on the vanity faucet and on the lines to the shower. Then at least I would have had instant HW at those two locations. I have a crawl space under my house and connecting to the shower lines would be easy.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm thinking it wouldn't work as well as it does on a trunk line system like in my house but it would work. You would be pumping hot water to the manifold and on to the fixture that had the valve. I don't think the individual long runs to other fixtures would benefit beyond having hot water in the manifold but shorter runs would.

However, you could always install more valves at key locations (they are sold separately for around $50) to draw HW to those fixtures. If my house was plumbed with a manifold system, I would have put a valve on the vanity faucet and on the lines to the shower. Then at least I would have had instant HW at those two locations. I have a crawl space under my house and connecting to the shower lines would be easy.

Thanks. Just the master shower and sinks take a while since those are the longest runs. Can probably do the sinks easily but not the shower without taking out drywall.

I've considered replacing the hot water heater with a tankless one but not sure I'd really gain anything.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Thanks. Just the master shower and sinks take a while since those are the longest runs. Can probably do the sinks easily but not the shower without taking out drywall.

I've considered replacing the hot water heater with a tankless one but not sure I'd really gain anything.
If the shower runs are not too long you might benefit by doing the sink(s). Hard to say. On the other hand, drywall is easy to repair. Cut your hole with an oscillating tool and the section will slip right back in. Just a little mud and paint and you're done.

I also don't think going tankless would do anything for you.

Good luck.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is the problem that it's the first thing in the morning and all the pipes are super cold and it's a long distance away, so when hot water flows through, all the heat is dissapted to the pipes. Would an alternative to this solution be PEX? or is PEX only good for easy install and no explosing frozen water pipes?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
is the problem that it's the first thing in the morning and all the pipes are super cold and it's a long distance away, so when hot water flows through, all the heat is dissapted to the pipes. Would an alternative to this solution be PEX? or is PEX only good for easy install and no explosing frozen water pipes?
My plumbing is pex. But this is an issue with any kind of pipe material.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My house is fully PEX and I use that same circulator, works great. We did it more to circulate the water periodically to get rid of the rotten egg smell we get when our water sits too long, the quick warming is a bonus though.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, so I wanna kill my knockdown wall textures LOL...

Am I up for a world of hurt?

Was talking to my dad and he was saying that it would be way more trouble than it's worth. I hate the look and it's cracked and pitted enough that it looks like garbage, plus the guy who did it didn't even knock down the peaks so I have mountains on one wall in a room and dimples in another.

Whatever material he used, it LOOKS to be about a 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in depth. I've never worked with plaster or mud in enough of a quantity to even remotely understand which he used.

I really wanna paint my kids room but I wanna kill this shit with fire...

1544294397873.png

1544294418550.png

1544294437852.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I want to meet the guy who said textured walls and ceilings were a good idea. I want to punch that fucker in the face. A lot of times. And then pee on him.

Textured walls and ceilings are a mistake always.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think pex is definitely a better insulator than copper, but no pipe material is going to keep water hot sitting in the pipe overnight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Was talking to my dad and he was saying that it would be way more trouble than it's worth. I hate the look and it's cracked and pitted enough that it looks like garbage, plus the guy who did it didn't even knock down the peaks so I have mountains on one wall in a room and dimples in another.

Whatever material he used, it LOOKS to be about a 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in depth. I've never worked with plaster or mud in enough of a quantity to even remotely understand which he used.

View attachment 185423

View attachment 185424

View attachment 185425
Seems like it’d be a huge pain but I’ve never done it myself. Have you looked on YouTube to see if someone demonstrates the best way to remove it?

lurker

Vyemm Raider

Removing the texture is hard after it has been painted, which it most likely has. You can try applying more with a large 10" or greater knife in thin skim coats each one filling the valleys a little more each time. Stop when you get to a point you like. Use drywall mud (joint compound) and thin it with water. You need to have some texture when you're done so you might end up spraying something else over your job.

I've seen 1/4" drywall that I suppose was meant for what you're trying to do but I can't imagine it being anything but a wavy mess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like it’d be a huge pain but I’ve never done it myself. Have you looked on YouTube to see if someone demonstrates the best way to remove it?

I have, I feel wary when a ton of videos are either "Use our product!" or "I just use a sprayer with soapy water and then scrape and re-mud!"

lurker lurker I 100% agree adding 1/4th inch dry would be a hot mess. The previous suggestion is what others have said to me but it just sounds like a pain in the ass for something I don't like in the first place...

I dunno, I think I'll have to think about it all a bit more.

I started tackling the beginnings of demoing bathroom 1 and they have the same texture wall, in the midst of removing the tiles currently in place I scraped the wall and the texture came off pretty damn easy.

I'm debating finding a closet space...yes...they textured the closets too...and removing the texture to a point I find acceptable to see how it looks. Worst case in that situation is I have a fucky looking closet wall behind some boxes.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
make sure it's not plaster (which that texture kind of looks like) or you'll get into a mess. 1950s was transition time prob. 1/4 works but you have to consider window and door jamb depths.

I've replaced in select rooms I was redoing and its fine to have both smooth and textured walls in the average house. Being at peace with this was pretty helpful because doing a whole house is huge but you also don't want to put texture back when you redo a specific room.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
make sure it's not plaster (which that texture kind of looks like) or you'll get into a mess. 1950s was transition time prob. 1/4 works but you have to consider window and door jamb depths.

I've replaced in select rooms I was redoing and its fine to have both smooth and textured walls in the average house. Being at peace with this was pretty helpful because doing a whole house is huge but you also don't want to put texture back when you redo a specific room.

It's a 1978 Home, if that matters. I THINK it's mud.

Did some bathroom scraping on a wall that's going to be coming down and it basically came off like dust when I used a scraping tool on it not basically being a rock that shatters when poked.

On a side note...tore down the shite tile they had in place (The unit wasn't functional anyhow, several tiles were so boed that they would basically funnel watter behind them if anyone so much as got the walls moderately moist) and shocker of shockers I found that they GLUED the tile in place like I may have mentioned previously. The drywall that touched the tub was basically dust. I ran a vac on it as soon as it was uncovered. The double amazing part is, the last home owner was an older couple and they put in some cheap ass "hand hold" bar that wouldn't even keep a cat stable much less a 80 year old person and when they did they punctured the tile, the 1st drywall AND the drywall behind that drywall..

So...gunna be doing some drywall...lawl...

iannis

Musty Nester
I would just tear out the wall and put up entirely new drywall. Which would be a big job. Seems like even more work to try to smooth it out though. Just you can still use the room during.

But I'm a complete amateur.