Home Improvement

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Unless you're living in some hot shit gucci mansion a contractor can probably make suggestions and provide samples. A bonus is they'll provide stuff they know how to build.

Well, it's no Gucci mansion but it's a nice new modern home in Texas and the contractors are either old white cowboy dudes (at best) or semi literate mexicans (at worst). I'm just not confident they have the knowledge/styling to suggest things that will flow well with the rest of the house. All their samples are what I call "Texas Tuscan" which is brown overly ornate shit that is popular down here. Having worked with contractors many times before and getting screwed or in arguments, this time around I preferred to have a diagrammed plan with exact details to prevent an argument or misunderstanding.

Vinen

God is dead
Well, it's no Gucci mansion but it's a nice new modern home in Texas and the contractors are either old white cowboy dudes (at best) or semi literate mexicans (at worst). I'm just not confident they have the knowledge/styling to suggest things that will flow well with the rest of the house. All their samples are what I call "Texas Tuscan" which is brown overly ornate shit that is popular down here. Having worked with contractors many times before and getting screwed or in arguments, this time around I preferred to have a diagrammed plan with exact details to prevent an argument or misunderstanding.

Tell them to use the same damn shit as the rest of the home. This kind of issue is only a problem when you are doing a significant remodel.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Google image search is your friend. GIS stairs until you find something you like, then show them a picture and say "I want this".

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
10-4, i meant don't take the decision to move it lightly rather than the work itself.

Quoting you but looking for input from anyone and everyone.

So I gotta ask, am I shooting myself in the foot with this work?

My End goal is to move a wall roughly a foot and reclaim that space in the master bath.

CURRENTLY my guest bathroom is like this:

1548882451709.png

With a 60 x 30 x 16 tub in the space and south of the tub is a dead wall that I want to reclaim, shrink the room by a foot, which means moving the tub plumbing and the toilet plumbing.

1548882242645.png

I would end up with a room that is ROUGHLY 5 foot by 7.5 foot.

Would limiting that room to a 5 foot tub be a bad idea?

I don't think I'll ever need anything bigger than a 5 foot tub...plus I plan on getting either a drop in that is relatively deep OR a bowed tub on the skirt side such that this tub will, more than likely, be the general use tub and the master bath will POSSIBLY be tubless, but that is up for debate and wife-veto.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Quoting you but looking for input from anyone and everyone.

So I gotta ask, am I shooting myself in the foot with this work?

My End goal is to move a wall roughly a foot and reclaim that space in the master bath.

CURRENTLY my guest bathroom is like this:

View attachment 191989

With a 60 x 30 x 16 tub in the space and south of the tub is a dead wall that I want to reclaim, shrink the room by a foot, which means moving the tub plumbing and the toilet plumbing.

View attachment 191987

I would end up with a room that is ROUGHLY 5 foot by 7.5 foot.

Would limiting that room to a 5 foot tub be a bad idea?

I don't think I'll ever need anything bigger than a 5 foot tub...plus I plan on getting either a drop in that is relatively deep OR a bowed tub on the skirt side such that this tub will, more than likely, be the general use tub and the master bath will POSSIBLY be tubless, but that is up for debate and wife-veto.

How much does the extra room help you elsewhere?

With 60 inches your vanity and toilet side will be constrained. Toilet requires 30" per code so you'll be able to use a 30" vanity but it'll be super tight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd chime in but i'm outta my depth on this one. I could say some stupid shit, but lissen to big P. Sounds like a fairly major renovation.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
from cooking thread
basement is finished, except
i have a storage room that has bareconcrete, maybe 30ft of wall? is there any reason to do this?
EPS-insulate-basement-wall-IMG_5648.jpg

also my sump pump has like a little cubby built over it
15d444002f5c1bef50468213e5cc7f0f.png

those 2 doors open up and my sump pump is there. It freaked me out at first, but i see it's purpose, theres a section that is just bare concrete (the wall side) should i foam that up?

when i opened up the two doors to check on my sump pump, it was like opening up a fridge.

*edit, oh shit, i this this was the home improvement thread, wtf are talking about basements in the cooking thread???

Picasso3

Yes, particularly if it's not buried. Look up r values for cmu and concrete and then xps.

Re sump pump area I'd worry about it a lot less, it's low and a very small area im assuming with exterior pipe penetrations that would be less than ideal to obscure.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes, particularly if it's not buried. Look up r values for cmu and concrete and then xps.

Re sump pump area I'd worry about it a lot less, it's low and a very small area im assuming with exterior pipe penetrations that would be less than ideal to obscure.
there are batts around the pipe to the wall (with the vapor barrier facing towards house).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone have experience with an electric baseboard heater giving off less heat than previously? It was working perfectly fine the other day but now it's maybe giving off half the heat even when the thermostat is cranked up all the way. It was my understanding that they're an all-or-nothing sort of thing. Maybe an issue with the thermostat?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with an electric baseboard heater giving off less heat than previously? It was working perfectly fine the other day but now it's maybe giving off half the heat even when the thermostat is cranked up all the way. It was my understanding that they're an all-or-nothing sort of thing. Maybe an issue with the thermostat?
If it’s all or nothing and it’s giving off less heat, my first guess would be it’s not getting as much power.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about and haven’t even done a cursory google.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I would be concerned about it if it has changed suddenly. If there's a loose/fried connection that's increasing the resistance through the coil then there could be something heating up that's not supposed to be hot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

If it's 240v you may have lost a leg somehow, a 240v heater running on 120v will give off a fourth of the wattage.

Get off resistance heat is my #1 solution.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If it's 240v you may have lost a leg somehow, a 240v heater running on 120v will give off a fourth of the wattage.

Get off resistance heat is my #1 solution.

It's a 750W heater on what I assume (by the label) is 240v (says VAC or something like that)

This is a rental so I have to work with what's there. I just want to have something to tell them other than "heater not heating" if it keeps up.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried cleaning it? I had one that was constantly kicking on and off and I vacuumed out the dust from it. It started working alot better. Plus...less chance for fire.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, so I did a little more sleuthing and my initial assessment was wrong regarding my plumbing.

It LOOKS like there is a run, front to back for cleaning purposes and from those 2 points I can see that patch work was done in the guest bathroom on the floor right over the main line out for sewage.

It isn't as close as I thought it was, which is a good thing and bad thing...IMHO. Good part is I have space to patch in changes if I want to go through all the trouble. The bad part is, I gotta break through about 10 SqFt to move all the sewage I want moved (tub and toilet) and I'm pretty sure the wife will balk hard on that one. Without a doubt I'm going to have to break out at least 1 sqft to do the minimum of tub drain relocation. DEBATING just spinning that into a a "Hey look, while I'm here may as well do the job I WANT done..." type situation.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man in two weeks i can picture you going "so how do i get a guy to pour a new foundation, i dug it up"

all of it

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
man in two weeks i can picture you going "so how do i get a guy to pour a new foundation, i dug it up"

all of it

LOL, Well that part I know how to do, to a degree.

To be honest, 90% of what I post here are self hype questions or just straight bitching about my house.

Wife basically wants the bathroom put back in order without spending money and I'm just like, "That shit aint happening...We NEED to do a lot to it and I WANT to do more."

NEED:

Drywall installed
Tile on floor done
Tub installed
Toilet Re-installed
waterproofing tub area
Tile on Surround done

WANT:

Re-locate Tub and toilet sewage lines
Remove shit tier "Medicine Closet"
Move long wall.
Add Canned lighting
Update vent / examine vent for external venting
Update plumbing to PEX-A w/ expansion fittings
Replace 24 inch door with 30 inch

---

The issue is, wife wants everything to go back up, as is with 0 or as close to 0 cash spent as possible. While I CAN do that...it just isn't a great idea.

I look at it like this, EVENTUALLY we will move that wall and that plumbing. I may as well do it now while all this shit is available to me rather than waiting and doing it later, using more money and accomplishing the same results. Some of the "Wants" pretty much require the level of demo that's current in place.

• 1Like