Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That's a cool sign, but it's built into the brickwork, and that would be wicked hard to do well with your existing brickface. I'd say bolt something on that looks cool and light it well is your best bet.
Yeah that’s the plan. I actually didn’t realize it was built into the brickwork until you pointed it out. I think it’ll look fine bolted over the the brickface, as you said.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it may be that 2-3 years of sun e exposure evens it out a bit, too.

It does look a lot better. That whitewash everything was kind of popular for a little while im guessing. not too expensive and it lets you redefine the look of the building.

I get it. The raw brick is better though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, can you take a wide shot of the neighborhood, i can see why the neighbors were complimenting getting rid of the eyesore.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Do any of you do asphalt work? There's a pothole in my driveway that just keeps getting bigger and not only do I not know how to fix it, I don't even know who to call.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Do any of you do asphalt work? There's a pothole in my driveway that just keeps getting bigger and not only do I not know how to fix it, I don't even know who to call.
I think we talked about this somewhat recently if you want to test your google-fu. Lowes/Home Depot sells 40-50lb bags of asphalt repair... stuff? I think the consensus was that it was a bit of an eyesore but functional.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
You can get a bag of asphalt from like a home depot. You shovel i t in the hole, tap it down, cover it with some sand.

It's super easy.

You want to cover it, it helps it set better, and the same will blow off.

How pretty it is depends on how much work you want to put into making it pretty. It's going to look like a patch no matter what you do, but that's exactly what it is.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So there's no need to address whatever is causing the pothole? Just keep patching.

iannis

Musty Nester
What's probably causing the pothole is time and weather. Unless you've got something obvious like a nearby tree that's getting big and throwing roots up under your driveway.

Patching is less expensive than having a new driveway poured. Even doing crush and run gravel is fairly not cheap. It would be a few grand to get a new asphault or concrete drive. They bring 3-5 guys out with a dumptruck or mixer and do it in like an afternoon.

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Subgrade drainage is important but probably not something worthwhile to pursue for a single pothole in a driveway. Depending on size and severity you may want to make a clean edge for the patch or dig through and redo the base.

You could call anyone that owns a truck or has held a shovel to fix it, it's a hole in the ground.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Subgrade drainage is important but probably not something worthwhile to pursue for a single pothole in a driveway. Depending on size and severity you may want to make a clean edge for the patch or dig through and redo the base.

You could call anyone that owns a truck or has held a shovel to fix it, it's a hole in the ground.
To be fair, it’s on the intense side of manual labor to repair it properly as you’ve described (addressing the likely inadequate base, compacting, then patching). But to your point, any knucklehead with a shovel and a scrap piece of plywood can fill a hole with the asphalt patch and run over it with their car a few times.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk confirmed eagle eyed. We had some flash flooding rain today and this is how my patio looked. It completely drained within 30 minutes so it’s not in terrible shape, but I’ve added a French drain to my to-do list. It doesn’t help that a down spout is dumping water right next to the patio, but I’ll channel that into the French drain as well.

3ED8F1F9-CC55-45A3-8171-4E781D693252.jpeg

If I can borrow a skid steer before fall, I’m gonna regrade my back yard to slope away from the house. If I don’t, I think I’ll need to extend my French drain the entire length of the house. It’s not super pressing, but I do see evidence of washout in some areas.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lurkingdirk lurkingdirk confirmed eagle eyed. We had some flash flooding rain today and this is how my patio looked. It completely drained within 30 minutes so it’s not in terrible shape, but I’ve added a French drain to my to-do list. It doesn’t help that a down spout is dumping water right next to the patio, but I’ll channel that into the French drain as well.

View attachment 203983

If I can borrow a skid steer before fall, I’m gonna regrade my back yard to slope away from the house. If I don’t, I think I’ll need to extend my French drain the entire length of the house. It’s not super pressing, but I do see evidence of washout in some areas.
Hey that's what I had done recently! Dig a trench, run some tube, dig a big hole, fixed! Then you won't ever see the water!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just sharing, not sure if it’s repeatable or a one time accident. I ordered two “Alfresco II” chairs from crate and barrel. Like $318 each, charged $636 (or so.). I get two large boxes shipped to me. First box has two chairs in it. Second box has two chairs too. So four chairs for price of two. I’m guessing their shipping system does not realize there are two chairs per box. Just in case anyone is in the market for deck furniture.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just sharing, not sure if it’s repeatable or a one time accident. I ordered two “Alfresco II” chairs from crate and barrel. Like $318 each, charged $636 (or so.). I get two large boxes shipped to me. First box has two chairs in it. Second box has two chairs too. So four chairs for price of two. I’m guessing their shipping system does not realize there are two chairs per box. Just in case anyone is in the market for deck furniture.
Nice. We had something similar happen once. We ordered a desk for our son but received two. We called amazon to send one back since we only paid for one and they said it’d cost more for them to ship it back than they’d get for selling it to someone else and told us to keep it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, i learned digging up a sprinkler right next to a tree is almost impossible b/c of the 1million roots that have set in, also on that same zone i broke my first fitting. learned i had to put flame to it, to take it out. then i learned that there is a sprinkler poly pipe alternative, called blu-lock it's basically the pex + sharkbite version of sprinkler irrigation. i bought a few feet of blu tube and a few fittings, i might as well extend the sprinkler, 1 head while i'm at it (theres a dead area i have that was previously a tree)

All the other zones were easy, this zone near my existing tree is kicking my ass.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
ok, i learned digging up a sprinkler right next to a tree is almost impossible b/c of the 1million roots that have set in, also on that same zone i broke my first fitting. learned i had to put flame to it, to take it out. then i learned that there is a sprinkler poly pipe alternative, called blu-lock it's basically the pex + sharkbite version of sprinkler irrigation. i bought a few feet of blu tube and a few fittings, i might as well extend the sprinkler, 1 head while i'm at it (theres a dead area i have that was previously a tree)

All the other zones were easy, this zone near my existing tree is kicking my ass.
How big are the roots? Do you have a reciprocating saw/sawzall? I’ve pretty much mastered root extraction with hand tools AMA ☠️

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How big are the roots? Do you have a reciprocating saw/sawzall? I’ve pretty much mastered root extraction with hand tools AMA ☠
it's tiny roots like 12 guage wire and just as fucking strong.

sawzall sounds like a good idea when i dig the trench to the new sprinkler head/line that used to be a tree, i'm guess theres tons of old roots there. it's not safe to just stick a sawzall in the ground is it? time to buy another ryobi tool, god!