Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Weighed the pros and cons of building ourself vs having someone install it and just decided to have them install it. Extra $1400 and peace of mind for me plus the work is insured.

What really gave me an anti boner was I wanted to pay in cash. I know debit has a limit but assumed if I charged the debit card the limit wasn't there. Well the limit was $2k and I don't carry a credit card, thankfully my wife does. Lame.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The guys just finished mine..... $1300 total for a detached 20x20 garage. Paid in glorious American cash.

Before :

And AFter

Watching it done very glad I paid someone to do it for me.

Next steps is to sheath the inside the OSB. Debating renting a truck or having 16 sheets of it delivered. Of hauling it home in Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus SUV , which would require having it cut into 3', 3
, and 2' segments per sheet.....

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The guys just finished mine..... $1300 total for a detached 20x20 garage. Paid in glorious American cash.

Before :

And AFter

Next steps is to sheath the inside the OSB. Debating renting a truck or having 16 sheets of it delivered. Of hauling it home in Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus SUV , which would require having it cut into 3', 3
Delivery probably isn’t that expensive. However, in my experience they take their sweet time with lumber (1-2 weeks between order and arrival).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Before :

And AFter

That should definitely stay toasty in winter!

You can usually rent a truck from Menards for pretty minimal cost - something like $20 for the first 75 minutes. They'll load it at the store for you, too. All you have to do is drive it home, unload, and take the truck back. Then you can do it at your convenience, too.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That should definitely stay toasty in winter!

You can usually rent a truck from Menards for pretty minimal cost - something like $20 for the first 75 minutes. They'll load it at the store for you, too. All you have to do is drive it home, unload, and take the truck back. Then you can do it at your convenience, too.

Home Depot down here in Texas does the same and that's what I'm leaning towards. As for toasty, this wasn't even so much about heat/cooling as it's not going to be climate controlled the majority of the time (unless I install a dog door and make it the world's fanciest doghouse). It's more for sound insulation because once it's done I'm dropping a CnC in there for my "making things' habit. ;) I figured since at this point the goal for this project is "don't have to deal with the garage again until after I'm dead" if it was ever going to be insulated it needed to happen now before I sheathed the inside.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I want a CnC machine but I'm not willing to pay for one. It's not easy being cheap.

Check to see if you have a maker space near you. Sometimes you can get lucky and there is a stand-alone space, those psaces usually have much larger and nicer items for use but if you have a state college near you, you can usually use the space cheap and they will also have the core set.

Is one near me, I just typed "makerspace" into google maps and it pops up.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Check to see if you have a maker space near you. Sometimes you can get lucky and there is a stand-alone space, those psaces usually have much larger and nicer items for use but if you have a state college near you, you can usually use the space cheap and they will also have the core set.

Is one near me, I just typed "makerspace" into google maps and it pops up.

This never occurred to me. You're a genius!

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've got some poison ivy growing where our shed is going. I'm clearing the whole area out. Should I blast it with Roundup or is there a literal nuke I can toss down? I have a dog, so nothing is that resembles food.

Vinen

God is dead
I've got some poison ivy growing where our shed is going. I'm clearing the whole area out. Should I blast it with Roundup or is there a literal nuke I can toss down? I have a dog, so nothing is that resembles food.

Pay someone. Don't fuck with Poison Ivy.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Roundup (glyphosate) will kill it, especially if it’s hot and sunny. It will work in a few hours, but you won’t see results for several days. Cut the vine down to where there’s only a few leaf clusters above ground then spray and completely coat the remaining leaves.

Obviously wear a long sleeve shirt and disposable gloves and don’t touch anything with your gloves that you can’t rinse in bleach water. Rinse whatever tools you use (scissors, pruners, etc) in a 5:1 water:bleach mix to neutralize the oil.

I’ve killed lots of poison ivy, but it’s damn near impossible to kill it all the way down to the roots.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pay someone. Don't fuck with Poison Ivy.

My dad decided to clear out a massive amount of poison Ivy by hand once. He got all long sleeved and gloves, etc. He ended up getting it in his bloodstream through a scratch and had random outbreaks all over his body for 3-4 months. He would just wake up every day and he'd have a new outbreak somewhere on his body. He had to get several rounds of shots and hospital visits trying to fight it.

So I say cut yourself up like that indian dude in predator, then attack it with a machete like a man.

• 2Like

Vinen

God is dead
Moved back into my house.

All internal work sans Kitchen should be completed in < 2 weeks. Then looking at 2+ months (mainly cabinets) for Kitchen. Dear god cannot I not wait for this shit to be done.

Kitchen is currently a Microwave, Single Electric "Burner" and an Insta-pot that are setup in the office.

Vinen

God is dead
My dad decided to clear out a massive amount of poison Ivy by hand once. He got all long sleeved and gloves, etc. He ended up getting it in his bloodstream through a scratch and had random outbreaks all over his body for 3-4 months. He would just wake up every day and he'd have a new outbreak somewhere on his body. He had to get several rounds of shots and hospital visits trying to fight it.

So I say cut yourself up like that indian dude in predator, then attack it with a machete like a man.

I mowed poison ivy once accidentally as a teenager. Worst summer of my life.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Moved back into my house.

All internal work sans Kitchen should be completed in < 2 weeks. Then looking at 2+ months (mainly cabinets) for Kitchen. Dear god cannot I not wait for this shit to be done.

Kitchen is currently a Microwave, Single Electric "Burner" and an Insta-pot that are setup in the office.

Are they custom growing the Goddamn trees for the cabinets for you? Installing them yourself or contracting?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Work slowly, use gloves and long sleeves and long pants. Spray it with round up daily for about a week, then clear everything down to the soil. Till the soil, then spray it daily for about a week with round up. That will take care of it.

Alternatively, and more simply, if it is possible, spray it with round up, a day later, douse it with gas and light it on fire (then clear the area so you aren't breathing it). Continue burning it until it is burnt to the ground. Then till it carefully and spray that with roundup a few times.

Also possible, get a hydrogen bomb and ignite it at the source of your issues.

But really, if you're going to put a shed over it, get an old piece of carpet, or a really heavy tarp, or whatever, and throw it over. Leave it there when the shed goes up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well it's actually our fence line behind the shed. We were just gonna drop the black rug shit over the entire area but wasn't sure if the vines would just die or snake their way out

Also Vinen Vinen I ain't paying someone for this lol. I've made a commitment to only hire contractors here for the most dire repair/upgrade. I've actually been doing a lot of work around the house and it feels great

Vinen

God is dead
Are they custom growing the Goddamn trees for the cabinets for you? Installing them yourself or contracting?

Not sure yet... Wife is still working with designer to plan it out. My only role is appliances.

That's a week out then we gotta get permits and shit for work that needs to be done... then the real work can start.

Vinen

God is dead
How long ago did you buy your house? This is sounding not worth it

2 years? Its a 20 year old Kitchen that was designed oddly. We wanted to take down a wall and it sorta steamrolled from there as we decided we want to redo it.

It will be worth it to have it done in the end.

I think when all said and done we will have put 300K into the house. I'm just glad we can afford to pay this in cash and it's not discussions with the bank.

• 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 user