Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No I was curious when you bought it for really two years would be about 18 months too long for me to reno my house

Vinen

God is dead
No I was curious when you bought it for really two years would be about 18 months too long for me to reno my house

Ohh we lived in it a year before we decided to renovate. Moved out for 7 months and just moved back in.

Sons bedroom, office and of course the half gutted kitchen. (The framing in the center of the picture is whats coming down. Need to reinforce that as there is a post there)

20190517_131759.jpg20190517_131806.jpg20190517_152802.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure if I posted but the natural gas company will run a line to my house from the street for free. Then it's up to of course me to get a plumber to run the gas where I need it in the house. Luckily my range is on an outside wall.

I want a gas range/cooktop really bad but my glass cooktop I have now isn't that old and man it's easy to clean. I know gas cooking is like tits and all that but is it worth it to switch?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here it isn't. The natural gas company charges an enormous delivery fee (yeah....) That's like $150-200 per month ON TOP or the gas you use. I'm sure I'll upgrade one day but I hate getting fucked by imaginary made up fees.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Weighed the pros and cons of building ourself vs having someone install it and just decided to have them install it. Extra $1400 and peace of mind for me plus the work is insured.

What really gave me an anti boner was I wanted to pay in cash. I know debit has a limit but assumed if I charged the debit card the limit wasn't there. Well the limit was $2k and I don't carry a credit card, thankfully my wife does. Lame.
yup the usual limits are 300-500 daily withdrawl and 2k total debit limit (i.e. you can't withdraw $500 and debit charge 2k) found this out researching cash stuff for japan, of course numbers vary but keep that in mind for purchases.

also if you don't want to use a credit card and your debit card doesn't give you rewards, sign up for a personal paypal debit, they give credit debit rewards.
The guys just finished mine..... $1300 total for a detached 20x20 garage. Paid in glorious American cash.
not my garage, but shouldn't there be like concrete raised up (around the perimeter, no idea whats that call), a mudsill? and then the studs are laid down?
Garage-floor-coating-example.jpg

i only noticed cuz i spent yesterday caulking the cracks in the floor, so i got intimate w/ my floor.[/QUOTE]

Home Depot down here in Texas does the same and that's what I'm leaning towards. As for toasty, this wasn't even so much about heat/cooling as it's not going to be climate controlled the majority of the time (unless I install a dog door and make it the world's fanciest doghouse). It's more for sound insulation because once it's done I'm dropping a CnC in there for my "making things' habit. ;) I figured since at this point the goal for this project is "don't have to deal with the garage again until after I'm dead" if it was ever going to be insulated it needed to happen now before I sheathed the inside.
what about a roof rack or rails on your SUV?

a while back i was thinking about how to transport plywood w/ my civic, came across this video, i'm researching which roof racks i can use now (looks like i'm limited cuz it's a sedan, so not enough door for them to grab onto)
Not sure if I posted but the natural gas company will run a line to my house from the street for free. Then it's up to of course me to get a plumber to run the gas where I need it in the house. Luckily my range is on an outside wall.

I want a gas range/cooktop really bad but my glass cooktop I have now isn't that old and man it's easy to clean. I know gas cooking is like tits and all that but is it worth it to switch?

imo, as long as you know "how" to cook on a glass range (it'll still be hot after it's turned off) so if you're ok w/ moving your pans around to get rid of heat (to a cold burner/ cutting board/etc), and youre ok w/ not using the quick jerky sautee motion, you won't be missing out on much imo.

i mean maybe you'd want a real wok, and for that only gas works (a real wok is high carbon and round on the bottom), but even then, having used real jet fire restaurant woks, it doesn't compare.

Last edited:

Crone

imo, as long as you know "how" to cook on a glass range (it'll still be hot after it's turned off) so if you're ok w/ moving your pans around to get rid of heat (to a cold burner/ cutting board/etc), and youre ok w/ not using the quick jerky sautee motion, you won't be missing out on much imo.

i mean maybe you'd want a real wok, and for that only gas works (a real wok is high carbon and round on the bottom), but even then, having used real jet fire restaurant woks, it doesn't compare.
Ohhh , I forgot about that! Not having to take up extra burner space, or figure out a way to move pots off the heat, because it doesn't cool off right away. Man, just one more convenient feature of a gas cook top. Ugh.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
yup the usual limits are 300-500 daily withdrawl and 2k total debit limit (i.e. you can't withdraw $500 and debit charge 2k) found this out researching cash stuff for japan, of course numbers vary but keep that in mind for purchases.

also if you don't want to use a credit card and your debit card doesn't give you rewards, sign up for a personal paypal debit, they give credit debit rewards.

not my garage, but shouldn't there be like concrete raised up (around the perimeter, no idea whats that call), a mudsill? and then the studs are laid down?
Garage-floor-coating-example.jpg

i only noticed cuz i spent yesterday caulking the cracks in the floor, so i got intimate w/ my floor.

what about a roof rack or rails on your SUV?

a while back i was thinking about how to transport plywood w/ my civic, came across this video, i'm researching which roof racks i can use now (looks like i'm limited cuz it's a sedan, so not enough door for them to grab onto)

As for the midsill. It depends on how the garage was built. In my case the whole slab has a few inches rise above most of the surrounding terrain, and a slope down into the driveway leading to it, so I don't have to worry as much about water.

As for transporting, this was 18 sheets of OSB. That would hve been enough to probably caused damage from sheer weight on top of Mrs. Haus 's SUV. Only cost me $20 to rent the flatbed for an hour and a half to take the stuff home. When this series of house projects is done, as much as I joke about getting an El Camino to restore, instead I'm probably going to get some beat up but reliable pick up for my various home improvement milk runs. heh

As for stoves, this is an almost religious topic in my family (A lot of people who love cooking/baking) and the one true religion where I come from is Gas.

As for my ridiculous garage project.... Today was getting OSB, then unloading OSB, then dealing with other nonsense... Then finally fitting in the first OSB panels, not nailed in yet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Gas is not going to make any difference at all over your electric cooktop unless you spend 10s of thousands of dollars on a commercial grade gas range. People like gas because you can see the temp changes and they are a little faster to react to said changes but an electric range can actually cook better at high heat than your typical home appliance gas range. Chefs like gas because it's what they know and are comfortable with.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gas is not going to make any difference at all over your electric cooktop unless you spend 10s of thousands of dollars on a commercial grade gas range. People like gas because you can see the temp changes and they are a little faster to react to said changes but an electric range can actually cook better at high heat than your typical home appliance gas range. Chefs like gas because it's what they know and are comfortable with.
i just listed two huge drawbacks to glass electric
1. heat is retained on the glass burner for a long period of time
2. you can't do that forward/back quick sautee motion

that's huge, it fundamentally changes how you cook. imo it's like only being able to turn right in a car, if you have to make a left turn, you have to go around in order to go left.

you should know how limiting this is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Why don't you have any outlets?
There are outlets across the wall opposite of that picture. THe previous owners had put in these large full heigh cabinets all along that wall. The back wall, actually has a 20a outlet above that ratchet AC unit (getting fixed or replaced).

His garage looks like he found the lowest bidder who didn't pull permits 10 times in a row.

Yeah, the previous owners did a lot of janky shit. I corrected what I could, then called in an electrical to get the wiring up to code and "proper" although some of the routing is still ugly. If you go back and find my original pics of the original condition it's kinda surprising in hindsight it hadn't collapsed on me. But the building now has been inspected (pulled permit for the insulation work, and had it looked over after). This whole structure was built around 1983 if the paperwork I found was right. The cabinetry and storage in it were probably fantastic in the 80's, but also made of particle board so decayed. Sheathing on the outside was a crappy old non-vynil siding (which had the texture of paperboard)... Insulation on the inside had been wholly converted into a rat condominium complex (I consider not having caught the plague while clearing it out as astoundingly lucky). Carpenter ants had damaged 80% of the studs in the building, including completely compromising 2 of the 4 corners and one side of the garage door entry.

Still this whole project will come in costing me around 1/3 of what leveling it and building a whole new garage would have.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

that's huge, it fundamentally changes how you cook. imo it's like only being able to turn right in a car, if you have to make a left turn, you have to go around in order to go left.

This sounds like a guy that spent 10k on a gas range

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This sounds like a guy that spent 10k on a gas range

Yeah. With a cheap, residential gas range when you turn the gas off, the heat stops. There is some residual heat on the burner covers, and the racks, but it dissipates quickly because of the amount of air flow. Completely different than what an electric range of any kind brings you.

Chefs prefer gas because it offers greater control. It's what they are used to because it's better, and that's what commercial kitchens put in.

Crone

These are valid and things hadn't thought of. Not sure if they are enough to give up the cleaning convenience of a glass top.

Vinen

God is dead
These are valid and things hadn't thought of. Not sure if they are enough to give up the cleaning convenience of a glass top.

They are assuming you actually cook slightly complex food.

I just ordered Wolf 36" Dual Fuel Range 6 Burners (DF366) Cooktop for my kitchen.

Looking forward to having an Electric Oven / Gas Range. Electric is superior for ovens (better controlled heat) while Gas is superior for range.

That said. I do wish I had room to have an induction range for boiling. Had one in an apartment I stayed in while living in China for a month and hooooooly crap did it boil water fast.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Viking has a range with a gas and induction top and electric oven if you change your mind and want to have a nice kitchen.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Apparently we have some people here who flambe on their home cooktop. Gas vs Electric range both have their pros and cons and for your typical 99% everyday cooking it makes little difference what you have. Buy whatever you prefer but if you're thinking of running gas specifically for a new gas range the cost isn't really worth perceived benefits. It's pretty easy to lift a pan off a burner if you're trying to get it off the heat for any reason.

Induction cooktops are cool but they are more expensive and then you also have to replace your cookwear.