Home Improvement

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, the previous owners did a lot of janky shit.

I moved states. The house I rented was only a few years old, and was built during the housing boom. Everything in that house was wrong. It needed at least $100k worth of work to become borderline acceptable. Another $50k to make it reasonably livable.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
In-laws are chinese immigrants. I feel your pain.
Korean in-laws for me. Will probably be living with us within the next 10 years. We'll be in another house buy then though, the wife wants a different school district for the kids (2 years and 3 weeks old).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
did ya'll w/ asian in-laws have to play chauffer and get dragged around everywhere?

in any place w/ any sort of chinatown you'll see guys double parked just waiting for a parent to come back from shopping.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Mine lived with us for a while. There were disadvantages to be sure, but holy shit if infinite free child care and a live-in chef aren't great.
We moved in with them after getting married, her dad had a brain tumor removed and we were saving up a bit for our current place. While definitely uncomfortable at times, it really helped with my grasp of the language and culture, plus I'm basically the favorite son-in-law now.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
did ya'll w/ asian in-laws have to play chauffer and get dragged around everywhere?

in any place w/ any sort of chinatown you'll see guys double parked just waiting for a parent to come back from shopping.
Yeah, we're pretty much always the ones to pick up the in-laws for any family events or shopping trips to a few of the further destinations. I don't mind, they're very generous with time/money/food/etc and welcoming to me as the only whitey in the extended family, who also happened to marry the favorite daughter.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, we're pretty much always the ones to pick up the in-laws for any family events or shopping trips to a few of the further destinations. I don't mind, they're very generous with time/money/food/etc and welcoming to me as the only whitey in the extended family, who also happened to marry the favorite daughter.
lulz try double parking in nyc chinatown waiting for a parent, you'll instantly lose your shit blood pressure +100, ha.

does that mean your house smells like an asian house? do white ppl walk in and go, "whats that smell"?

and i'm not talking like walking into an indian house and going, holy shit curry is up my ass, asian house is more herbal smelling.

is she the oldest daughter? favorite just means oldest and one that put up w/ most of the parent shit, how young is the brother then?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
did ya'll w/ asian in-laws have to play chauffer

Yes, but jesus fuck no one wants them behind the wheel of a car on public roads. Mass death by non-committal driving.

I can't wait until self-driving cars are perfected.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes, but jesus fuck no one wants them behind the wheel of a car on public roads. Mass death by non-committal driving.

I can't wait until self-driving cars are perfected.
ya'll lucky you can't understand em, otherwise they'd be like "OH PULL OVERHERE, this grocery store has good chicken feet"

"WTF ma, i'm in the middle lane at the light already!"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
lulz try double parking in nyc chinatown waiting for a parent, you'll instantly lose your shit blood pressure +100, ha.

does that mean your house smells like an asian house? do white ppl walk in and go, "whats that smell"?

and i'm not talking like walking into an indian house and going, holy shit curry is up my ass, asian house is more herbal smelling.

is she the oldest daughter? favorite just means oldest and one that put up w/ most of the parent shit, how young is the brother then?
Well we very rarely drive up to LA/K town, there's a pretty big korean population in our area so plenty of grocers/restaurants/ etc.

She's the youngest by 6 years, last shot to have a boy. The other two were more difficult kids, plus once they left for college my wife was basically an only child. My wife has power of attorney over her parents finances/whatever, and we're 90% of the time the ones to help them out with stuff (dr appointments, changing their cable provider, "everyone else has a nest doorbell, we need one too!!!"). So favorite as in most relied on as well as gets along best with her mother.

As far as cooking/smell, they open up all the windows if she's cooking anything with a really strong smell so it doesn't linger too long.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well we very rarely drive up to LA/K town, there's a pretty big korean population in our area so plenty of grocers/restaurants/ etc.

She's the youngest by 6 years, last shot to have a boy. The other two were more difficult kids, plus once they left for college my wife was basically an only child. My wife has power of attorney over her parents finances/whatever, and we're 90% of the time the ones to help them out with stuff (dr appointments, changing their cable provider, "everyone else has a nest doorbell, we need one too!!!"). So favorite as in most relied on as well as gets along best with her mother.

As far as cooking/smell, they open up all the windows if she's cooking anything with a really strong smell so it doesn't linger too long.
oh man, that is not going to be fun, if shit hits the fan. You're gonna really have to step up and be the new son they wanted. you're gonna have to take a lot of bullets for your wife and family, and be the white devil. But just listen to your wife, if she tells you, you need to be a cunt to a sister or some uncle, we'll, put on your cunt hat.

always remember that other family members (uncles/aunts, sisters, son in laws) have zero claim to senority compared to you and your wife. The parents must have known this, which is why she has power of attorney (b/c some china uncle could just swoop in and shit).

Vinen

God is dead
In-laws are chinese immigrants. I feel your pain.

Wife is a Chinese Immigrant (you wouldn't be able to tell she is 1st gen though). Her parents on the other-hand... dear god. Love them to death but they were definitely wrecked by the cultural revolution.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Love them to death but they were definitely wrecked by the cultural revolution.

Yeah. My in-laws literally fled China at gunpoint on a boat in the middle of the night after breaking his brother out of prison by blowing out a wall, where he was because his own mother turned in her son for speaking out against the Communists. (Anyone want to write a screenplay?) Not surprisingly, that kind of shit leads one to a very different world view that what we're used to here.

I have huge respect for them. They came here with a sub-high school education and zero assets, worked their asses off in restaurants and sweatshops, and 40 years later they own outright a home in LA and their daughter is a physicist and data scientist. American Dream at work.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah. My in-laws literally fled China at gunpoint on a boat in the middle of the night after breaking his brother out of prison by blowing out a wall, where he was because his own mother turned in her son for speaking out against the Communists. (Anyone want to write a screenplay?) Not surprisingly, that kind of shit leads one to a very different world view that what we're used to here.

I have huge respect for them. They came here with a sub-high school education and zero assets, worked their asses off in restaurants and sweatshops, and 40 years later they own outright a home in LA and their daughter is a physicist and data scientist. American Dream at work.

Holy shit. Mine just came to the US to be visiting scholars and stayed. Lured my wife to the US with Disneyworld (not kidding). Then they told her she wasn't going back to China. Wife lived alone from 14-16 in China.

They just went to the Russian Border in North China during the cultural revolution. Mother-in-law is still traumatized from watching a few of her friends commit suicide.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna have plumbing fun this weekend, the recent tornados here have really made me getting a backup sump pump. from research i've determined battery backup sump pumps are annoying and die anyway, so i'll get me a water powered one
51WbdAiKmmL._SX425_.jpg

For this, i'm gonna have to learn piping lulz, like learning how to solder. i'll play around first, get me some 1/2 pipe to fire up.

someone tell me why this was done?

as far as i can tell, my city water is 1in to shutoff in wall (theres a panel that i open)

then i pipes to my boiler room where it t's off to 1/2 (going somewhere, idk, my basement is finished), gets reduced from 1in to 3/4in then it makes a little loop(it was to a previously now removed water softener) then it gets increased to 1in then gets reduced to a 3/4 "T" for the waterheater and out to other areas.

why does it increase from 3/4 to 1in at the water heater? this doesn't do anything in terms of flow right?

anyway for now, i'm just gonna cut into the 3/4 before the water heater solder for each end a 3/4 to pex fitting. (i was gonna just use a shark bite for this, but i feel more secure w/ a solder joint)

make a small manifold for now
021261042-pex-manifold-700x445.jpg

and just have two 3/4 run to the water heater (the original line i cut) and then one 3/4 run to my backup sump pump.

then i gotta redo the drain for my sump pump, it's also ABS, so that shouldn't be so difficult, i'll just get a ABS wye and branch it in.

I went w/ pex b, with the black ring clamp style (i didn't like the stainless crimp, that looks ugly)

anything i should look out for? i know how to solder wires, so i'm figuring this shouldn't be so difficult?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I know this is moot because i ignored it as well but just do shark bites if you haven't soldered pipe or aren't 100% in your abilities.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Meters are a lot of times 5/8ths iirc, maybe it's diff elsewhere but I'd be surprised for 1 inch lines to residential.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
oh man, that is not going to be fun, if shit hits the fan. You're gonna really have to step up and be the new son they wanted. you're gonna have to take a lot of bullets for your wife and family, and be the white devil. But just listen to your wife, if she tells you, you need to be a cunt to a sister or some uncle, we'll, put on your cunt hat.

always remember that other family members (uncles/aunts, sisters, son in laws) have zero claim to senority compared to you and your wife. The parents must have known this, which is why she has power of attorney (b/c some china uncle could just swoop in and shit).

spoilered for derail reduction:
I'm not sure of any will specifics off the top of my head, but I'd guess it's pretty much split everything "evenly" (1 or 2 rental properties + their home paid off + however much is in their retirement/investment fund(s) probably 2 or 3 mil?) between the 3 daughters. My wife has power of attorney because does all the asian oldest male child stuff.

There aren't any other extended family members who have anything near a legitimate claim to anything. If anyone came knocking, my wife would have no problem telling them to fuck off and I have no issues supporting her in that.

The only shitty stuff I see that could happen would be the oldest sister trying to take charge because it's her personality, not because of the money. I know, 'never say never' when it comes to this kind of stuff, I just feel is very unlikely.

As far as immigration goes, it's reasonably script ready. My wife's grandmother escaped North Korea after her husband and 3 of her 6 kids died, in the winter before the war broke out. Traveling at night it took almost a week to cross into SK, my wife's mother was in the 3 - 5 years old range IIRC, got lost at one point somehow and was almost adopted by a NK general. There's a bunch more stuff, but I'll leave it for another thread.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
spoilered for derail reduction

nope, NEVER discount the oldest. That's why i'm pretty sure your inlaws made steps to give her PoA and the oldest will always fuck shit up at a funeral. why? b/c everyone is laughing at her. She's the oldest but the youngest is in charge? FUCKING LULZ HAHA.

(i'm serious, this is what is going through the minds of asians even while they grieve)

it's not about her personality, it's about whats going to mindfuck her culturally when death happens.

just remember that the strongest words you'll have, if the oldest ever tries to retort you, is that you were THEIR son, don't say anymore beyond that, it's like casting Stun.