Home Improvement

Vinen

God is dead
I was envisioning a fairly massive kitchen. This is smaller than mine.

dude you doing alright financially??

This is why we are doing this renovation.
House was built in 1890s so we are limited in where we can expand to unless we take out the Chimney (I don't want to do this).

We are increasing the size of the kitchen as is. Used to end midway through where the door is in the diagram. 3 season porch outside the door is equal size to the kitchen. I'm thinking of converting it to 4 season down the road. Door in the middle leads to a 3/4 Bathroom while the opening on the right side is to a foyer.

This is -probably- 15-20% of the floor plan of the first floor.

I should figure out what the actual size of the room is. My recollection is like 12x20 or so.

Last edited:

Vinen

God is dead
LOL you all doing some rich people inside jokes or just being assholes? lol - but do carry on ;-)

They are mocking me because I have money and my kitchen is tiny. Houses in my town are 600 USD sqft

• 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was mocking you because you gloat and condescend continuously. You couldn't fit 60k in appliances in there if you stacked them to the ceiling. Though It will be nice when you expand to the thermal gard patio room and you can watch wheel of fortune and Salisbury steak in the new wall oven at the same time.

Serious feedback is I would consider galley layout with the opening in front of the fridge. Having the sink facing away from the "triangle" like that will probably be awkward once it's built, but i understand getting it next to dishwasher.

Or if there's any potential to close off that door and do an L along that wall. I think you're going to be hard up for lower cabinet space.

Last edited:

lurker

Vyemm Raider
View attachment 209585

don't worry about the bottom, i have no idea what it was, but i had to chisel it out, it was like wax, lulz (cleaned after the pic)

anyway this always looked funny to me, i was all ready to try my hand at pvc piping, then i got a basin wrench and decided to put putty and tighten the water spigot from my RO unit (thats where the yellow line is from, the water tank is removed)

I'm guessing i could also use a new dishwashing waste line (i don't use the dishwasher, so thats just old)

but i noticed that the drain to the wall is actually ABS, and not PVC, (i guess thats why they have the huge black compression rubber thing at the wye)

honestly i believe the drain is too high (cuz of a remodeled deep sink) but i'm not gonna cut out the wall for that.

so should i repipe it all with ABS? and have a proper ABS joint at the wall?

also should i get rid of the double p-traps and just have the disposal goto a sanitary tee then a ptrap instead?
PVC is fine for under the sink. Two P traps is a little odd, but if it's working and not leaking, leave it alone.

The dishwasher drain needs to be addressed. Code used to be that you needed an air gap in that line to keep it from siphoning back into the dishwasher. Today, however, most places will just require that the line be long enough to be fastened high up like to the underside of the countertop before looping down to the disposal. You need to do at least this. Replace the hose. It's funky.

Siliconemelons

PVC is fine for under the sink. Two P traps is a little odd, but if it's working and not leaking, leave it alone.

The dishwasher drain needs to be addressed. Code used to be that you needed an air gap in that line to keep it from siphoning back into the dishwasher. Today, however, most places will just require that the line be long enough to be fastened high up like to the underside of the countertop before looping down to the disposal. You need to do at least this. Replace the hose. It's funky.

Great now I have to go check my dishwasher drain to see if it is higher than where it attaches to...I am sure it is, but not THAT sure... thanks FOH

Haus

<Silver Donator>
And another 48 hours of not needing to deal with work and stuff gets done...
OSB internal sheathing....

And new garage door (still need to go get/install an opener, but I am being picky on that.)

Tomorrow is shelving and storage, plus hopefully paint. (just a simple coat on the interior, and I'm slowing starting to think I might even skip that.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
why does your drawing include a creepy peeping tom contractor?
e500fc62a7d1a22d00fd329537e91323.png

whats that wall opposite the dishwasher you couldn't fit a wall of countertops/cabs in?

imo you should have demo'd that corner junk area and doubled your island size.

life takes place at the island now, no one likes that corner restaurant shit where you have to scoot in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

man, i asked the dishwasher question two years ago and FOH said i should do it the way it is now, now to get more zip ties and start over, heh (with a clean tube tho)

Vinen

God is dead
And another 48 hours of not needing to deal with work and stuff gets done...
OSB internal sheathing....

And new garage door (still need to go get/install an opener, but I am being picky on that.)

Tomorrow is shelving and storage, plus hopefully paint. (just a simple coat on the interior, and I'm slowing starting to think I might even skip that.)

Nice. Looking a lot better.

Any plans to epoxy the floor? My garage smelt like fuel fumes from history so we sealed that all away. Also makes future spills easier to clean

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Nice. Looking a lot better.

Any plans to epoxy the floor? My garage smelt like fuel fumes from history so we sealed that all away. Also makes future spills easier to clean

Yeah, Epoxy floor coating, or I'm debating these click in garage tiles as well. Epoxy I would need to do before shelving. Tiles I can do after shelving and just have run up to the shelves.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah, Epoxy floor coating, or I'm debating these click in garage tiles as well. Epoxy I would need to do before shelving. Tiles I can do after shelving and just have run up to the shelves.

I'd recommend epoxy regardless to just seal in the historical smells. I can see some nice stains which I can only imagine are fuel or some other noxious chemical.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that needs it. My current debate is painting the walls and rafter space or leaving it "au natural". At this point all day tomorrow will be painting, then coating the floor. heh

Vinen

God is dead
why does your drawing include a creepy peeping tom contractor?
e500fc62a7d1a22d00fd329537e91323.png

whats that wall opposite the dishwasher you couldn't fit a wall of countertops/cabs in?

imo you should have demo'd that corner junk area and doubled your island size.

life takes place at the island now, no one likes that corner restaurant shit where you have to scoot in.

LOL Didn't notice the creeper. We have a bathroom off the Kitchen. See the pocket door.
Odd design I want to deal with down the road but it is what it is for now.

image.png

The kitchen also doubles as our dining area as we are converting the formal dining room into a bedroom for her parents (Asian...). Its behind that wall.

Primary motivation for this kitchen renovation was so that the kids have space to play on the floor of the kitchen while we are in it. Not kidding.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah, that needs it. My current debate is painting the walls and rafter space or leaving it "au natural". At this point all day tomorrow will be painting, then coating the floor. heh

hard choice. We put a storage area above my garage so we covered the rafters with drywall

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Well it's actually our fence line behind the shed. We were just gonna drop the black rug shit over the entire area but wasn't sure if the vines would just die or snake their way out

Also Vinen Vinen I ain't paying someone for this lol. I've made a commitment to only hire contractors here for the most dire repair/upgrade. I've actually been doing a lot of work around the house and it feels great

Farmers near me use Diesel + old motor oil after roundup has set in for a few days. This keeps the fence line bare dirt for up to 3 years. Not too eco-friendly, but it does work for them. I use generic roundup (glyphosate) , but I have to do it 2-3 times per year to keep stuff dead. Add a teaspoon of dish soap or store bought anionic surfactant to the glyphosate mix, it will stick to the plants better.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I'd recommend epoxy regardless to just seal in the historical smells. I can see some nice stains which I can only imagine are fuel or some other noxious chemical.

I don’t like epoxy cause it’s hard to repair after scratch. I just paint the floor

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
LOL Didn't notice the creeper. We have a bathroom off the Kitchen. See the pocket door.
Odd design I want to deal with down the road but it is what it is for now.

View attachment 209681

The kitchen also doubles as our dining area as we are converting the formal dining room into a bedroom for her parents (Asian...). Its behind that wall.

Primary motivation for this kitchen renovation was so that the kids have space to play on the floor of the kitchen while we are in it. Not kidding.
wow holy shit, converting a dining room into a room for the parents is like 1000% Asian, you are in it fucking deep.

My old house has a nice dining room, a lot friends would come over and they noticed my familys dining table and said "where do your grandparents live?"

yea, but your kids will grow up in a few years and you'll still have zero cab/table space.

everyone hangs out at the island

also the sink should face opposite the stove, not 90degree from it, more than likely you'll be prepping on that island opposite the stove, having the sink at that angle is just weird.

Last edited: