Home Improvement

Hosix

All labs matter!
I don’t like them. When you set a toilet you need to feel the wax hit the floor before the toilet does. You don’t get that feedback with those rubber rings.

Also, when you caulk around the toilet leave the back undone so that if you develop a leak, you will see water before it becomes a big deal.
Yeah, caulking around the toilet is good, but like the man said, leave the back uncaulked. That way you don't miss a leak.

They speak the truth. Leaving back open and you are good to go.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Do you typically caulk around a toilet? I don't think I've seen that
When I would do stone or tile floors in a WC I would get matching siliconized grout and caulk around the toilet and tub if there was one. It made the job look "finished."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shed contractor didn't show up again

Do they know I'm armed

In my area the concrete dudes would not even talk to me when I needed a slab and rat wall for a 8x10 shed I was gonna build with my kid. I could hear them laughing as they hung up the phone.

Vinen

God is dead
upstairs AC died this morning.

Anyone have recommendation on brands? Attic unit with exterior condenser. What brands are people installing now? Had to rush out and buy a bunch of temp AC units as its a few weeks out before we can get the AC installed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
In my area the concrete dudes would not even talk to me when I needed a slab and rat wall for a 8x10 shed I was gonna build with my kid. I could hear them laughing as they hung up the phone.

You should try living 50 miles from town. We have to practically beg people to even look at a job and then half the time they just give us a ridiculously high bid because they don't want the job unless you are desperate enough to seriously overpay for it. A local plumber bid us $15k to rough in the basement on a single family home when a friend of ours had hired the same company to do a building twice the size with like 6 bathrooms and they charged him $8k.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You should try living 50 miles from town. We have to practically beg people to even look at a job and then half the time they just give us a ridiculously high bid because they don't want the job unless you are desperate enough to seriously overpay for it. A local plumber bid us $15k to rough in the basement on a single family home when a friend of ours had hired the same company to do a building twice the size with like 6 bathrooms and they charged him $8k.

I'm having same issue. Only finish carpenter I trust, I can't get to show up. He's done a ton of work for me previously, I always paid whatever he bid even though its expensive, but now he keeps "I'll be there Friday" then never hear from him again.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Actually looking at this:

Bad idea?

I just re-built my toilet this weekend, I had to replace every damn rubber seal and gasket. I used one of these instead of the wax ring. Was a whole lot cleaner for sure. I'm glad I did the repair for the knowledge but damn it would have been easier to buy a new toilet lol.

I don’t like them. When you set a toilet you need to feel the wax hit the floor before the toilet does. You don’t get that feedback with those rubber rings.

Also, when you caulk around the toilet leave the back undone so that if you develop a leak, you will see water before it becomes a big deal.

I don't have alot of experience replacing those wax rings and I am always worried about not setting it correctly the first time because they say you can't really re-seat them again. Are there any tricks of the trade to make sure it gets set down properly. I would worry that the wax ring on the toilet isn't properly lined up with the hole in the floor.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've never done it, but it's wax. Couldn't you just push the bolt through it? I mean worst case. Best case is that they line up and you don't have to do that.

Or is it a hard wax seal not a soft one? Like I say, i've never seated a toilet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You use the two bolts sticking up as a guide. Plus there is some wiggle room there. also it helps to have another person keep an eye out and see if youre on the right track. This shit is not rocket science.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
You use the two bolts sticking up as a guide. Plus there is some wiggle room there. also it helps to have another person keep an eye out and see if youre on the right track. This shit is not rocket science.

Thats what I did was use the 2 bolts as guides. I think I saw someone else mention to extend them with straws to help. I am usually concerned that even when I set the toilet down even with the screws proper positioned that there might be a way to mis-align the porcelain nub on the bottom and not properly seated into the hole in the floor. That might not even be possible with the way things are shaped, but I always get stuck as the guy lifting the toilet so I have never seen what it looks like from the bottom lol.

I over think all DIY work. I must say thats probably been the biggest confidence builder in me doing DIY is when I realize the people putting this shit together aren't members of Mensa and its not that hard to figure out once you take your time and do your research.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Thats what I did was use the 2 bolts as guides. I think I saw someone else mention to extend them with straws to help. I am usually concerned that even when I set the toilet down even with the screws proper positioned that there might be a way to mis-align the porcelain nub on the bottom and not properly seated into the hole in the floor. That might not even be possible with the way things are shaped, but I always get stuck as the guy lifting the toilet so I have never seen what it looks like from the bottom lol.

I over think all DIY work. I must say thats probably been the biggest confidence builder in me doing DIY is when I realize the people putting this shit together aren't members of Mensa and its not that hard to figure out once you take your time and do your research.
You did it exactly right. But just for drill...

When I set a toilet I use new flange bolts, not the old cut off ones. New bolts will come with those plastic snap on washers that will hold the bolts perfectly straight. The new wax ring is pressed firmly to the bottom of the toilet that is laying on its side. Now when you flip the toilet right side up the bolts will tell you exactly where the toilet goes. You can't miss. All you have to do is lower it slowly so the bolts come through the holes in the toilet.

A helper is handy if they help move the toilet as you lower it and not the bolts. The bolts are exactly where they need to be, The toilet needs to move to find them. As you lower the toilet make sure you feel the wax ring hit the floor before the porcelain does. That way you know the ring is tall enough.

• 1Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
You did it exactly right. But just for drill...

When I set a toilet I use new flange bolts, not the old cut off ones. New bolts will come with those plastic snap on washers that will hold the bolts perfectly straight. The new wax ring is pressed firmly to the bottom of the toilet that is laying on its side. Now when you flip the toilet right side up the bolts will tell you exactly where the toilet goes. You can't miss. All you have to do is lower it slowly so the bolts come through the holes in the toilet.

A helper is handy if they help move the toilet as you lower it and not the bolts. The bolts are exactly where they need to be, The toilet needs to move to find them. As you lower the toilet make sure you feel the wax ring hit the floor before the porcelain does. That way you know the ring is tall enough.

Cool, I feel better now as this was the exact process I followed. Those plastic snap on washers to keep the bolts in place really helped. Happy shitting boys!!!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience self-installing blown fiber insulation? Feasible for a weekend project?

Yeah, me and the wife did it. Blew in about 14-15 in of shit. Cellulose though, not fiber. Took turns either in attic or feeding the hopper. The machine rental, at the time, was free if you bought x amount of cellulose. EZ PZ but I reccomend you do it either in fall or early spring since its hot as fuck up in attic, if thats what you are talking about. Walls and shit I have no clue.

• 1Like