Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Order has been placed. It looks excellent. This looks like something I can use for the next 2-3 months while our kitchen is completed (Majority of time is wife working with our designer to complete plans. Our General Contractor runs a cabinet shop and they will custom build all the cabinets as we lock down areas of the design)
i would highly recommend you goto chinatown and buy a new wok, or if you're lucky enough you guys already got a nice well used seasoned wok around. the included wok was just, ugh.

if not, i ordered this one from amazon
Town Food Service 12 Inch Steel Mandarin Style Wok

since you have a bigger family, i'd actually recommend
Town Food Service 14 Inch Steel Mandarin Style Wok

something in the 14in range, but honestly those in laws would probably rather goto chinatown and check out the woks for themselves (or like i said, you already have a nice one ready to go)

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Or just buy a house from the 19th Century and assume its not flat kek.

Door between sons room and office. (His room has 2 doors.. 3 before renovation). Floor slopes up towards the exterior walls in the first few feet. This door is the worst example of it in the house outside of the hallway in the centre of the house. House has some historical damage that got repaired by the prior owner. Its all reinforced with steel now. Guy loved imperfection (and so do I cause it makes me stress less) so he didn't jack the floor and left it as is.

View attachment 214577

This house was built in 1979 so I'm hoping stuff is a little more square. It was built by professionals at least. The house I'm in now was built by a farmer in 1943 and it shows. There wasn't electricity here until the late 50's so the wiring is an added-on shit show with almost every outlet in the house on a single breaker etc. Each of the two bedrooms upstairs has a single closet that is 3 feet wide and that is it for the whole house. Looking at the other house it was a relief to see a decent number of breakers that were all labeled and an actual electrician's name on the panel. The new place is not luxury by any means but it should be a nice upgrade from where I am now.

Vinen

God is dead
This house was built in 1979 so I'm hoping stuff is a little more square. It was built by professionals at least. The house I'm in now was built by a farmer in 1943 and it shows. There wasn't electricity here until the late 50's so the wiring is an added-on shit show with almost every outlet in the house on a single breaker etc. Each of the two bedrooms upstairs has a single closet that is 3 feet wide and that is it for the whole house. Looking at the other house it was a relief to see a decent number of breakers that were all labeled and an actual electrician's name on the panel. The new place is not luxury by any means but it should be a nice upgrade from where I am now.

50s-80s are pretty awful era's for houses being built. Shit materials. That said, a professional using shit materials is still better than a Sears farmhouse.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Naww man, craftsmanship was better and materials were better since they were using better wood which was also cheaper. My house was built in 71 and the inspector dude (family friend) was really impressed. Now most of the building materials is fucking sap wood which is 100x expensive. shit like "I" beams instead of solid 2x8 or 2x12. My house also has solid oak hardwood floors in 90%, only area not hardwood is the family room. How much would that shit cost these days? 70s and 80s were really good for building since they had more modern electrical codes plus they were using PVC and brass for water ingress and egress, no more steel and cast steel. And no pex tubing shit they use today. Not saying todays houses are shit, they are not, but its way more expensive to use the shit they used in 70s and 80s thats why they dont use it. I would probably say that the only advantage todays houses have that the last era didnt is advancements in insulation tech and the importance of good insulation and also the mechanical shit is better like HVAC, etc... But those are add-ons and I would not consider the mechanical shit part of the build, since most builders just use the basic 80% shit instead of the good 90-95% which you probably have to pay the upcost for. But todays 80% shit is also way better than 80s 80% shit, sooo.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
A fool and his gold are soon parted as they say

Yeah something like that. The linear inverters are really efficient which is cool. The screen was totally unnecessary. I follow market trends and have friends who buy and sell houses and they actually make significantly more if they buy a 60 inch tv and say it comes with the house because.... congratulations people are stupid!!!!

I don’t plan to live here for more than a couple of years and we will probably leave this shit behind and try for a premium with that. I am building an energy efficiency narrative with my sense device and try to tell “the story of the house”. That’s going to be my thesis on this next sale anyways. My last house I bought I paid 265 for it and sold it for 325 2 years later.

I really love the sense device

2ED520F8-E9F8-40C6-AA7F-C86BA812C009.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In other news a real shit month for me. First fridge went out, fucking 3-4 yr old LG. then we went for a weekend to our property in N Mich, came back and our AC is fucked, blower motor does not work.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah something like that. The linear inverters are really efficient which is cool. The screen was totally unnecessary. I follow market trends and have friends who buy and sell houses and they actually make significantly more if they buy a 60 inch tv and say it comes with the house because.... congratulations people are stupid!!!!
yup, i believe you, i went to at least two houses (that ppl bought here) and since they're older, they don't have kids so the basement is an entertainment/man cave area.

he asked if i could hook up his wii (this was last year btw, and yes, just a "wii"), (we were all just hanging out and he asked if we wanted to go to his place)

i said sure... then i was like this tv only has hdmi, lemme check your receiver...

i'm asking him questions and he's like "idk, please don't break it, this is why i bought the house"

i'm like "cuz of this tv"??? he's like "yea!!!"

Which is why my house has all wifi locks, alexa everywhere...

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Damn, you must have went super high end. I bought mine for like $2.10 sq/ft and it's 5mm thick and waterproof. It's this same "Rocky Pine" color/pattern but not quite as thick as the link here:

https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Rocky-Coast-Pine-EVP-CoreLuxe-Ultra-EVPRCP7/10043209
Your link won't open but 2.10$ per sq/ft is roughly 22.60 per square meter and yeah our vinyl may have been on the expensive side. it has a cork layer in the middle though which makes a good insulation.

we also added a cork layer underneath to even out small dents in the floor underneath. you want that to be as smooth as possible.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So the upstairs toilet started leaking water around the base. Not a lot, but enough to weird my wife out.

Went to tighten the bolts as I assumed the seal wasn't good. First bolt needed a little tightening. Second bolt I could pull right out. It was disgusting, but of course it would be. Ended up finding a way to tighten it (A LOT MIND YOU). Hoping that fixes it, but if not what's my best bet. Take the toilet out, buy new bolts, gaskets, etc?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So the upstairs toilet started leaking water around the base. Not a lot, but enough to weird my wife out.

Went to tighten the bolts as I assumed the seal wasn't good. First bolt needed a little tightening. Second bolt I could pull right out. It was disgusting, but of course it would be. Ended up finding a way to tighten it (A LOT MIND YOU). Hoping that fixes it, but if not what's my best bet. Take the toilet out, buy new bolts, gaskets, etc?
wouldn't leaky toilet at base be wax ring is gone? idk never dealt with this, just youtube'd

Hosix

All labs matter!

You need a new wax ring. Just make sure to thoroughly clean the old ring off.

Vinen

God is dead
You need a new wax ring. Just make sure to thoroughly clean the old ring off.

Yep. Def a new Wax ring. Would not recommend using that toilet until this is resolved. ESP since its the upstairs. Turn off the water to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
100% wax ring even though one of the bolts was completely loose?

I don't mind doing the wax ring replacement, just don't want to take my toilet apart without cause

Vinen

God is dead
100% wax ring even though one of the bolts was completely loose?

I don't mind doing the wax ring replacement, just don't want to take my toilet apart without cause

Yes. Having the bolts loose is what likely caused the wax ring to fail.

If the toliet could possibly move it could lead to the wax ring failing. Our plumber freaked out when he saw our old toliet as one side of the it had broke and it was only anchored on the other side. He warned us we should replace the toilet as if we shifted it and the other side broke there was a high chance of the wax ring failing and it leading a leak.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Nope, just have a pile of towels or something to set the toilet on. The wax can get everywhere. Stick it on the bottom of the toilet first, not the flange. Some ppl use straws or something off the bolts to line it up, it can be frustrating. Careful on tightening those bolts, if it rocks get some plastic shims.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Actually looking at this:

Bad idea?
I don’t like them. When you set a toilet you need to feel the wax hit the floor before the toilet does. You don’t get that feedback with those rubber rings.

Also, when you caulk around the toilet leave the back undone so that if you develop a leak, you will see water before it becomes a big deal.