Home Improvement

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Probably. I’m hoping I flip the house before then. Samsung has never made me feel very safe with their products. Toshiba and Mitsubishi are awesome shit, but not Samsung. Why can’t we get a Toshiba fridge
You just said it's an awesome fridge! And why does fridges and washer dryers or tvs need to make you feel safe?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Is your whole back yard pebbles?

Live in Nevada or something? Or a long a beach?

It's a neat look, but it would be so infested with weeds inside 6 months around here.

Calgary. The weeds haven't been an issue. They'll mostly grow along the concrete path, but 15 minutes a week is enough to keep them at bay.

DSC_0314.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Forgive me, I'm probably dense, but how does alexa make it easier?
alexa is tied in to our amazon account which also has a shared do-to-list /shopping which we access with either the echos or alexa app (i have alexa replacing ok google and siri)

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Okay bros,

Our renters just moved out of one of the ranch houses and I'm planning to move into it. Before I do though, I want to do some work on it. The #1 issue is the flooring upstairs is all shot. The house is 40 years old and the flooring is all original. The house sat empty for a few years but the floors are fucked. Right now it's sheet vinyl in the living room/dining room and the bathrooms, carpet in the living room and bedrooms.

I am planning to rip it all out and replace it with a single flooring throughout. Probably some hardwood pattern either laminate or vinyl planks. I'm thinking of installing it myself but I could be talked out of it if that's a bad idea. I've been hearing about how far vinyl has come in recent years and I'm pretty interested in it. Not really a fan of tile. It's too cold and hard and too much work to install. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but I live in the country and have multiple dogs that come inside and possibly kids in the future as well. There is going to be mud tracked in so my priorities are going to be durability, not showing dirt, ability to stand some water, and being easy to clean.

Any thoughts?
Vinyl is idiot proof to install. Source: I managed to do our 2nd bathroom.
I used a vinyl/cork product which allegedly does well in wet environments (as I said, bathroom).
We used Wicanders Hydrocork similar to this one Wicanders Hydrocork but with a slightly different finish.

It's easy enough to lay out, very comfortable to walk on even barefoot, and they say it's sturdy and waterproof. We paid roughly €50 per square meter tax included though (for comparison our click parquet was roughly €30 per square meter) so it's not the cheap option at all.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think 'high-end brands' also fall into it, but I don't know about the whole keeping up with the jones's thing

I am all about researching the hell out of stuff and buying best price per performance.

Vinen

God is dead
I think 'high-end brands' also fall into it, but I don't know about the whole keeping up with the jones's thing

I am all about researching the hell out of stuff and buying best price per performance.

A big reason I am going with a top end brand is that for 2.5x the cost I can get an appliance which is supported for a longer period of time. Samsung, LG, etc all stop making parts after a few years so they are impossible to fix. My Subzero fridge is 20 years old and I had zero issues getting it repaired when we had the ice breaker go.

I won't deny there is "look" aspect thought.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A big reason I am going with a top end brand is that for 2.5x the cost I can get an appliance which is supported for a longer period of time. Samsung, LG, etc all stop making parts after a few years so they are impossible to fix. My Subzero fridge is 20 years old and I had zero issues getting it repaired when we had the ice breaker go.

I won't deny there is "look" aspect thought.
haha, buy your in laws that induction wok i got, holy shit it brings me back to me back to the takeout restaurant days of using a real wok (almost)

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
re: fridge and stuff. We decided against ice makers because you have a live water line hooked up to the fridge and you use it very little, so the water in the line doesn't get better over time...

our fridge has a built-in tray with icemakers and under it there is a pull out drawer where you can flip them into. it's kind of awesome. simple but awesome.

re: tile on bending floors... there are mats to put underneath for those cases. our house has wood flooring and I was scared we'd get cracks all over. no problem so far in the kitchen and bathroom #1, and the side room of that bathroom where the washer/dryer are kept. Uncoupling (DITRA) | Membranes | schluter.com yes it's twice the work but I guess it was worth it.

re: vinyl flooring: yes, you want a really smooth surface underneath.

Vinen

God is dead
haha, buy your in laws that induction wok i got, holy shit it brings me back to me back to the takeout restaurant days of using a real wok (almost)

Got a link? I need one while my kitchen is being renovated anyhow.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Vinyl is idiot proof to install. Source: I managed to do our 2nd bathroom.
I used a vinyl/cork product which allegedly does well in wet environments (as I said, bathroom).
We used Wicanders Hydrocork similar to this one Wicanders Hydrocork but with a slightly different finish.

It's easy enough to lay out, very comfortable to walk on even barefoot, and they say it's sturdy and waterproof. We paid roughly €50 per square meter tax included though (for comparison our click parquet was roughly €30 per square meter) so it's not the cheap option at all.

Damn, you must have went super high end. I bought mine for like $2.10 sq/ft and it's 5mm thick and waterproof. It's this same "Rocky Pine" color/pattern but not quite as thick as the link here:

https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Rocky-Coast-Pine-EVP-CoreLuxe-Ultra-EVPRCP7/10043209

Vinen

God is dead
i got this one Nuwave Induction Wok the included wok is garbage, you should buy another one at chinatown

i saw a stainless kind Admiral Craft IND-WOK208V Countertop Wok Induction Cooker, 208v but it's worse it only goes up to 464, the black one goes up to 560.

Order has been placed. It looks excellent. This looks like something I can use for the next 2-3 months while our kitchen is completed (Majority of time is wife working with our designer to complete plans. Our General Contractor runs a cabinet shop and they will custom build all the cabinets as we lock down areas of the design)

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So how do you tell if your floor is flat?

It doesn't laser precision or anything, walking around it should be clear. An example is I put it over concrete one time and it was had spalled about a 1sq ft area maybe a 16th and every time you stepped in that area it clicked. Another is a plywood subfloor that had a ridge at the joist lined up with a joint in the lvt and it opened up a crack.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
It doesn't laser precision or anything, walking around it should be clear. An example is I put it over concrete one time and it was had spalled about a 1sq ft area maybe a 16th and every time you stepped in that area it clicked. Another is a plywood subfloor that had a ridge at the joist lined up with a joint in the lvt and it opened up a crack.

Or just buy a house from the 19th Century and assume its not flat kek.

Door between sons room and office. (His room has 2 doors.. 3 before renovation). Floor slopes up towards the exterior walls in the first few feet. This door is the worst example of it in the house outside of the hallway in the centre of the house. House has some historical damage that got repaired by the prior owner. Its all reinforced with steel now. Guy loved imperfection (and so do I cause it makes me stress less) so he didn't jack the floor and left it as is.

20190709_182651.jpg

Last edited: