Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
One thing to keep in mind is that where it is dripping through the ceiling isn't necessarily where the leak is. It might be leaking three feet away, running across the roof support, then dripping down there. Or perhaps your sheet rock is sloped and that's the low spot. You have to address the whole roof in order to fix this.

But most likely the leak is right at an edge somewhere.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
did you go in your attic?
Yeah, but did not see any water leaks or any stains.
One thing to keep in mind is that where it is dripping through the ceiling isn't necessarily where the leak is. It might be leaking three feet away, running across the roof support, then dripping down there. Or perhaps your sheet rock is sloped and that's the low spot. You have to address the whole roof in order to fix this.

But most likely the leak is right at an edge somewhere.
From my untrained eye I think that's the case. The leaks are under the flat portion of the roof just passed the seam where it transitions from shingles to asphalt.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That is a hackjob roof for the ages.

The leaks are under the flat portion of the roof just passed the seam where it transitions from shingles to asphalt.

Hit every seam up there with wet patch roof cement (not silicone - it doesn't adhere for shit on dirty or wet surfaces) and get a pro up there ASAP and redo the whole area. No part of that is right. No flashing, seams facing up slope... ugh.

Even if the rest of it isn't leaking now it will soon as the tar hardens and shitty rolled asphalt decays. Take a really close look at those dark patches - I've seen those rolls leak straight through the face when they otherwise looked fine from a few feet away.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone ever scraped a popcorn ceiling? I'm really debating whether to tackle it. On the one hand it's a classic 1979 chunky mess with glitter in it and everything and I have the flooring all pulled out so there will never be a better time to make a huge mess. On the other hand I don't know how hard it really is and I'm a little worried about my ability to put another texture on afterwards. Seems like the ceiling isn't the best place to do texture for the first time but it doesn't look that hard on YouTube at least.
I scraped them out of my entire second story. Take on one room at a time. Use plenty of water, and it's really not too bad. If you're decent at skim coating the uncovered ceiling it shouldn't take long at all.

I hate popcorn ceiling so much. I will never live in a house with it if at all avoidable.

Would there be any asbestos concerns with the popcorn ceiling? You might need to get a respirator, tyvek suit and HEPA air scrubber. .

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Would there be any asbestos concerns with the popcorn ceiling? You might need to get a respirator, tyvek suit and HEPA air scrubber. .

Nah. Keep it pretty wet, and vacuum it up right away. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I mean, I'd wear a regular mask, but I always do that when doing any drywall type sanding or other work.

Captain Suave

Would there be any asbestos concerns with the popcorn ceiling?

If the ceiling was installed in the mid-80's or earlier, yeah. While the health risks are probably low for a single job like this, having spent some time around people with mesothelioma I don't think it would be worth it, especially keeping in mind that I'd be creating some level of interior dust to which my family would be exposed.

Test it and hire pros if necessary, IMO.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it was well on its way out by 79 but yeah be cautious as this type of removal would be worst cause for getting it airborne.

Some bold e-advice there Dirk.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think it was well on its way out by 79 but yeah be cautious as this type of removal would be worst cause for getting it airborne.

Some bold e-advice there Dirk.

They just removed the law here that you have to do special procedures when removing asbestos floor tile because it has been demonstrated that there is no threat. It isn't like you're grinding it up and inhaling huge amounts. The same is true of the popcorn ceiling. Keep it damp, it won't turn in to huge clouds of dust. Then skim coat over what is left before sanding. Always wear a respirator when sanding drywall, whether asbestos is present or not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm hoping '79 was late enough that there won't be asbestos but I think I"ll get it tested. No way I'm paying pros to get rid of it, but if it's asbestos I might decide to just live with it. It's got electric heat in the ceiling so I don't know if that would have made them more likely to use asbestos.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
I'm hoping '79 was late enough that there won't be asbestos but I think I"ll get it tested. No way I'm paying pros to get rid of it, but if it's asbestos I might decide to just live with it. It's got electric heat in the ceiling so I don't know if that would have made them more likely to use asbestos.

I think its really just the brand at the time. There is just trace amounts of asbestos but its still risky.

Be aware that if you know there is asbetos when it comes time to sell the house you may be legally obligated to disclose it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They just removed the law here that you have to do special procedures when removing asbestos floor tile because it has been demonstrated that there is no threat. It isn't like you're grinding it up and inhaling huge amounts. The same is true of the popcorn ceiling. Keep it damp, it won't turn in to huge clouds of dust. Then skim coat over what is left before sanding. Always wear a respirator when sanding drywall, whether asbestos is present or not.

The airborne potential of rigid floor tile and sanding or scraping off a popcorn ceiling seem like they may be different.

I guess since you did it once and didn't immediately start bouncing around like bugs bunny on the triple x jug its a-ok

Captain Suave

Always wear a respirator when sanding drywall, whether asbestos is present or not.

Just be aware that asbestos requires N/R/P-100 filtering and not N-95. The particles are super-fine.

The carcinogenic mechanism is literally the atoms-thick edges of asbestos fibers physically puncturing your lung cells and slicing the the DNA strands. I did some work with a company with legal exposure to asbestos liability. You really don't want mesothelioma.

I guess since you did it once and didn't immediately start bouncing around like bugs bunny on the triple x jug its a-ok

Yeah, there's a 20-30 year average delay period after exposure before onset.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Be aware that if you know there is asbetos when it comes time to sell the house you may be legally obligated to disclose it.

This house is on our ranch so we will never sell it so resale isn't much of a concern for me.

iannis

Musty Nester

What dirk says about keeping it wet should be fine. I've never done it but if I did I would do it that way.

It's the asbestos fibers that are the problem. They have a hook in them and if you aspirate them they lodge in your tissue. If you stop the dust you stop the fibers from going airborne. It really is the dust.

A mask and goggles should be enough, but if you wanted to be uber careful about it you could use a respirator. You don't need a full on hazmat suit.

My dad had a construction job when he was a teenager ripping up floors. Some of them would have been asbestos floors. He was just grunt labor and used no PPE at all. He's also been a lifelong smoker so i'm sure he was smoking on the job. No meso. He mentioned it once when a meso commercial came on. All i mean by that is that it's not instant death to come into contact with airborne asbestos.

Still, fucking avoid it!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So heres the portion of the roof in question;

20191124_135902.jpg

Gap between pitch and flat

20191124_140056.jpg

And its time to replace the entire thing, this is the exhaust vent for my bathroom;

20191124_135721.jpg

Vinen

God is dead
I'm glad I live in a town with absurdly strict building codes. That shit would fail so hard the contractor probably wouldn't be issued another permit in the town.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Looks like that should have stood out to the inspector easily. I've not had great experience with inspectors in the past. One didn't impact me, it was the inspector for the buyer and at a 2 story house I was selling he was too fat to get on a ladder and look at the roof or the siding of the 2nd floor. Never went into the attic attached to the 2nd floor he didn't even have to climb. Just too much work to waddle the extra 2 feet.

• 1Solidarity

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
not a pro, but i think where the pitched and flat roof meet needs flashing, not a line of OSI Quad or whatever that caulk is.

something like this
flat-roof-junction-pitched-roof.jpg