Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A rake and an old blanket or sheet accomplishes the same thing!

Granted, you don't get to play with a leafblower that way.

If you feel like scaring your neighbors get a metal trash can, fill it up with leaves, and light that shit on fire. Everyone within half a mile will think their house is burning down. Put a grate on top so that you don't accidentally your own house.
oh, i also compost the leaves, my compost bin is already full

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not an option for me, too many trees, leaves would be a foot deep if I left them. I collect them and have a huge compost pile that I turn over with my front end loader a few times a year. It's freaking massive.
even 1 tree shedding, if you tried to mulch it, turns the lawn brown

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh boy, got an inch and a half of rain today and this is what I come home to;

20191120_182203.jpg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Thats going to suck no matter what but hopefully its "easy".

View attachment 232370

If youre going to fix it yourself, just ask and I can walk you through every step of you need some input.
Well I didnt get up on the roof tonight as it was already dark and I couldnt find my head lamp but there isnt any exhaust vent right above it. Cut away that loose paint and can see the water is dripping through in through two almost sized holes dry wall. Bad news it is STILL dripping consistently even now after it stopped raining 3 hours ago =/.

Ill go up on the roof and check it out before work tomorrow morning but I think that spot is where the pitched roof meets the flat roof of my garage. Got up in the attic but couldnt see any obvious signs of entry from there.

iannis

Musty Nester
I am sorry for your lots.

That's going to wind up to be a full afternoon worth of job and a few hundred bucks. For the outside. Fixing the inside sold separately.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Well I didnt get up on the roof tonight as it was already dark and I couldnt find my head lamp but there isnt any exhaust vent right above it. Cut away that loose paint and can see the water is dripping through in through two almost sized holes dry wall. Bad news it is STILL dripping consistently even now after it stopped raining 3 hours ago =/.

Ill go up on the roof and check it out before work tomorrow morning but I think that spot is where the pitched roof meets the flat roof of my garage.

Leak chasing sucks mostly because water can travel upside down uphill and backwards in the rafters, look in the attic and try and find the witness marks now while its still wet, unless its been leaking a long while you might have a hard time pin pointing the source once its stops.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So went up on the roof and the only thing I could see in the dark that might be the source is a two foot opening where the pitch meets the flat roof and where the roof meets the block wall, theres another small gap. Got some caulk I had laying and put some tried my best to seal up those gaps since we are supposed to get even more rain tomorrow.

The leak itself is right along the block wall, basically in the middle of that line of caulk.

20191121_001337.jpg

Normally water would flow out onto a down spout just out of the picture but with the heavy rain we had Im guessing it was pushing up into one of those gaps. Will pickup some roof sealant and redo all of that and that asphalt seam as well. Really annoying thing is the damn leak is still fucking leaking. Hasnt rained in hours and theres no water at all near that leak on the roof.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Well, this has gone from annoying to unmitigated disaster. It hasnt rained(or at least anything more than a sprinkle) for 5 hours or so yet a second leak has developed 7-8 feet from the first one.

20191121_015005.jpg

Looked in the attic again and no water is definetly not falling straight down onto that second spot or anywhere near it. Im guess enough water got to pool across the ceiling to that spot? Fuck you rain.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, this has gone from annoying to unmitigated disaster. It hasnt rained(or at least anything more than a sprinkle) for 5 hours or so yet a second leak has developed 7-8 feet from the first one.

View attachment 232388

Looked in the attic again and no water is definetly not falling straight down onto that second spot or anywhere near it. Im guess enough water got to pool across the ceiling to that spot? Fuck you rain.
do you have water between two joists in the ceiling? like you have a trough of water?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That is a hackjob roof for the ages. Maybe it's ok for the desert but holy shit I'd either call a pro or let the black mammy roll.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever scraped a popcorn ceiling? I'm really debating whether to tackle it. On the one hand it's a classic 1979 chunky mess with glitter in it and everything and I have the flooring all pulled out so there will never be a better time to make a huge mess. On the other hand I don't know how hard it really is and I'm a little worried about my ability to put another texture on afterwards. Seems like the ceiling isn't the best place to do texture for the first time but it doesn't look that hard on YouTube at least.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anyone ever scraped a popcorn ceiling? I'm really debating whether to tackle it. On the one hand it's a classic 1979 chunky mess with glitter in it and everything and I have the flooring all pulled out so there will never be a better time to make a huge mess. On the other hand I don't know how hard it really is and I'm a little worried about my ability to put another texture on afterwards. Seems like the ceiling isn't the best place to do texture for the first time but it doesn't look that hard on YouTube at least.

I scraped them out of my entire second story. Take on one room at a time. Use plenty of water, and it's really not too bad. If you're decent at skim coating the uncovered ceiling it shouldn't take long at all.

I hate popcorn ceiling so much. I will never live in a house with it if at all avoidable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Go clean every fan in your house, dude. Yikes
I'm think that's the first time since I've moved in that's it's been off.
That is a hackjob roof for the ages. Maybe it's ok for the desert but holy shit I'd either call a pro or let the black mammy roll.
I'll definitely be swinging by home depot and picking up some proper sealant for it. It still rained later that night as I went to bed so that was at least something to maybe help.

Supposed to be done raining here but forecast says 3 or 4 days of rain next week.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm think that's the first time since I've moved in that's it's been off.

I'll definitely be swinging by home depot and picking up some proper sealant for it. It still rained later that night as I went to bed so that was at least something to maybe help.

Supposed to be done raining here but forecast says 3 or 4 days of rain next week.
did you go in your attic?