Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
speaking of wiring, is everyone elses doorbell wiring tied into the make switch? i went crazy turning off every switch one at a time, and then all the switches and my doorbell was still working (it rang and has the led), until i flipped the main breaker.

i guess i quickly skimmed that it's cuz it directly takes to a transformer and powers it down cuz it's a safety hazard that high voltage on an outside open circuit?

otherwise, new doorbell is great, i get a notification whenever anyone approaches my door.

No Clue, sorry

---

This got me thinking though.

Okay, most "Automated" or "Smart" door locks today require you to change the batteries every so often, I hate that...I hate batteries.

When will someone leverage the Smart bell wiring and combine it with a low voltage charging system for smart locks, where the deadbolt slides into place and 2 contacts touch to charge the door-lock.

I dunno, you could charge a heavy premium for it and people would pay for it.

iannis

Musty Nester
speaking of wiring, is everyone elses doorbell wiring tied into the make switch? i went crazy turning off every switch one at a time, and then all the switches and my doorbell was still working (it rang and has the led), until i flipped the main breaker.

i guess i quickly skimmed that it's cuz it directly takes to a transformer and powers it down cuz it's a safety hazard that high voltage on an outside open circuit?

otherwise, new doorbell is great, i get a notification whenever anyone approaches my door.

Doorbells are funny, aren't they?

All I remember is that I replaced one about 10 years ago and promised myself that next time I wasn't going to bother, I was just going to mount a giant brass knocker on the door itself. Replacing the doorbell itself was simple. I seem to remember I had a similar situation with trying to figure out the fucking wires. Since I can't remember if I did... i'm going to assume that I gave up and that's where the knocker idea came from. I think it might pull directly out of a box. Which doesn't seem like a very good plan to me but what the fuck do I know. Obviously, not very much.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That is so satisfying. I've arranged my yard so there's pretty much no edging to be done because it's shitty work. Looks nice, though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
IMG_20200123_181233.jpg

Got my wall built and drywall up for the TV room. It's not going to be taped and textured in time, let alone painted, but I'm going to bring the TV and surround sound over for the super bowl anyway.

I can't decide what to do for lighting in here. I pulled out the horrible buzzing florescent lights that were in there and I just have pigtails there now but I don't know what to replace them with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
IMG_3559.jpeg

So, I'm looking at a 4-plex investment property. Each kitchen is identical, except this one has the bad orange vinyl tile while the rest have some other stone looking vinyl tile. My question is what cost effective thing could you do to upgrade the kitchens? There is a small dining area behind where I was standing to take this pic.

My thoughts:

1. Obviously the cabinets kind of suck, I was thinking new doors and paint it all white, but that's an upkeep thing that will need re-painting and it's more maintenance. Maybe just generic wood colored doors?

2. I'm "in good" with my granite lady bc she's done so much work for me at my house. I was considering seeing what leftover granites she has that could be used for the countertop.

3. Light fixtures (can't see them in this pic)

4. (this kitchen a floor would be nice)

Really none of that need to be done, they're move in ready, just curious what you would do to "add value"?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 246886

So, I'm looking at a 4-plex investment property. Each kitchen is identical, except this one has the bad orange vinyl tile while the rest have some other stone looking vinyl tile. My question is what cost effective thing could you do to upgrade the kitchens? There is a small dining area behind where I was standing to take this pic.

My thoughts:

1. Obviously the cabinets kind of suck, I was thinking new doors and paint it all white, but that's an upkeep thing that will need re-painting and it's more maintenance. Maybe just generic wood colored doors?

2. I'm "in good" with my granite lady bc she's done so much work for me at my house. I was considering seeing what leftover granites she has that could be used for the countertop.

3. Light fixtures (can't see them in this pic)

4. (this kitchen a floor would be nice)

Really none of that need to be done, they're move in ready, just curious what you would do to "add value"?
sure, it looks kinda ugly with the colors and i'm fucking colorblind, but it's very clean and it's a rental.

as someone who has rented b4, it wouldn't be my first choice on looks alone obviously, but it looks fucking clean and new

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I wouldn't upgrade anything. Stuff like granite countertops is expensive and probably isn't going to raise the rent enough to justify the expense, plus if your renter cracks it then you're even deeper in the hole. White cabinets as you said are just going to show dirt and you definitely can't count on your renters being the type to wipe them regularly. You want it basic so if you have a bad renter and they trash the place you can replace it all cheap and easy when they move out. I think that kitchen looks just like what you would expect in an apartment. Unless you're in a high end rental market or something I'd just leave it as is. Looks real similar to my old apartment kitchen.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Meh that's ugly to the point of discouraging renters who actually take pride in where they live.

You could paint the cabinets white, new laminate countertops, and stainless appliance it for a several thousand prob

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Replace the cabinets completely with fabuwood, do laminate countertops. Probably a 7k job whereas trying to badly mask the existing cabinets would cost you like 4k and look like shit.

Granite is expensive when its properly sealed and no longer porous. Cheap granite isn't usually sealed properly and will get rings every time your tenants who dont give a shit leave a cold or hot cup directly on the countertop.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
For $7K how much do you think you can really raise the rent? $100? $150? You're talking about 4-5 years to break even. Most renters don't stay that long and chances are some of it's going to need replacement when they move out. I'm not up on this kind of stuff but I'd be surprised if you made money doing that.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
You could paint the cabinets white, new laminate countertops, and stainless appliance it for a several thousand prob

Why do people shy away from concrete countertops as a DIY thing on general?

---

Not related to question, starting bedroom 2 for re-doing the fan.

Switched off the breaker:

Stuff on the breaker that was apparent at a glance

Garage + Laundry Light
Porch + Entry Light
Bedroom 2 Light
Bedroom 2 Outlets

AMAZING...

Get the fan down and see this (ignore the shit tier Cancer texture):

1580584443240.png

I'll try and get a shot in the attic, because up I go ofc...

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Why do people shy away from concrete countertops as a DIY thing on general?

---

Not related to question, starting bedroom 2 for re-doing the fan.

Switched off the breaker:

Stuff on the breaker that was apparent at a glance

Garage + Laundry Light
Porch + Entry Light
Bedroom 2 Light
Bedroom 2 Outlets

AMAZING...

Get the fan down and see this (ignore the shit tier Cancer texture):

View attachment 247025

I'll try and get a shot in the attic, because up I go ofc...

I considered concrete countertops but then it was a lot of work for a result that depended on my skill and a material that was prone to stain and would have been a complete bitch to remove.

I did something similar on my fireplace and it turned out ok, but im sure it had bird baths etc

iannis

Musty Nester
Only thing I'd really change is the floor. Lino isn't expensive, you don't have to go ultra cheap, easy to cut and install, and perfectly acceptable as kitchen flooring.

Not that it would raise the rent, it's more that that floor is a terrible Color.I

I bet it's hat at some point the walls were that color too. Trying to emulate wood. A better idea on paper than in reality.

Vinen

God is dead
Only thing I'd really change is the floor. Lino isn't expensive, you don't have to go ultra cheap, easy to cut and install, and perfectly acceptable as kitchen flooring.

Not that it would raise the rent, it's more that that floor is a terrible Color.I

I bet it's hat at some point the walls were that color too. Trying to emulate wood. A better idea on paper than in reality.

holy shit that floor. Is that a school lab?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Update on my Kitchen. Contractor is finishing some cabinet work / panels. Inspections should be done this week.
20200201_172453.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users