Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Id rather be a poor man filling my pot via the sink than have parents living with me

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
A pot filler is something I never knew existed. I cannot imagine ever being at a point in my life where walking to the sink is too hard

Ehh, a pot of water isn't light and a pot filler makes sense in certain homes (High value) or professions of home-owner.

My uncle who did catering for years remodeled his home and added a pot filler over his stove. Mind you the pots he is filling aren't small, they are the massive pots that are a foot and a half deep at least. His pot filler was basically at the height Vinen Vinen had his at (but installed correctly).

Vinen

God is dead
Id rather be a poor man filling my pot via the sink than have parents living with me

You're also not from a culture where the children help take care of their parents when they are elderly.

Ehh, a pot of water isn't light and a pot filler makes sense in certain homes (High value) or professions of home-owner.

My uncle who did catering for years remodeled his home and added a pot filler over his stove. Mind you the pots he is filling aren't small, they are the massive pots that are a foot and a half deep at least. His pot filler was basically at the height Vinen Vinen had his at (but installed correctly).

Yeah the height was kinda a shocker for me. Its pretty much code.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
You're also not from a culture where the children help take care of their parents when they are elderly.

Yeah the height was kinda a shocker for me. Its pretty much code.

Dude, if I was you I would 100% get a faucet that is dependent on a person holding it to enable function.

Meaning they have to have their hand on it to turn it on, the instant they remove their hand it shuts off.

Especially with old people, the amount of times my grandma turned on the faucet and walked away is astounding. Imagine that without a drain...hope for success, plan for failure.

EDIT:

I'm making the assumption that stove faucets don't have a drain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I'm looking at a 4-plex investment property. Each kitchen is identical, except this one has the bad orange vinyl tile while the rest have some other stone looking vinyl tile. My question is what cost effective thing could you do to upgrade the kitchens? There is a small dining area behind where I was standing to take this pic.

My thoughts:

1. Obviously the cabinets kind of suck, I was thinking new doors and paint it all white, but that's an upkeep thing that will need re-painting and it's more maintenance. Maybe just generic wood colored doors?

2. I'm "in good" with my granite lady bc she's done so much work for me at my house. I was considering seeing what leftover granites she has that could be used for the countertop.

3. Light fixtures (can't see them in this pic)

4. (this kitchen a floor would be nice)

Really none of that need to be done, they're move in ready, just curious what you would do to "add value"?
I did a Kitchen at one of my rentals that was about that size for $4.5k, but I replaced all the appliances and put in a dishwasher. Looks like you would be able to salvage your appliances.

Paint & Primer- $120
Sheet Vinyl Flooring and new Baseboards- $400
Countertops- $1000
Cupboards- $1600
Sink Basin/Faucet Fixture- $400

1952 original Kitchen. The cupboards were metal and super heavy. Most of them had be dented and damaged over the years. The interiors were rusty and generally disgusting. The sink was showing years of corrosion and the faucet leaked out the base if you turned the water pressure too high. The floor was linoleum and had chips in it all over the place. The outlets were not GFCI. The counter-top was showing water rot along all the edges and seams.
Ay7xxlQ.jpg
On the opposite wall from the sink was the wall with the oven and refrigerator. Both were functional but aged and had years of grease build up. I cleaned them up as much as I could, but I still wasn't real satisfied with them. The hood didn't work at all. More visible chips in the floor.
Jy22VBt.jpg
The demo and removal begins.
0ObYDgC.jpg
Everything removed, walls primed, GFCI outlets installed, and electrical for the new Dishwasher is run. The baseboard around the room all come off.
Hr1wpKm.jpg
The new flooring goes down. This entailed taking precise measurements and pre-cutting the entire sheet outside on the front lawn. Then hauling it in the house and praying to God no mistakes were made.
mVaSu4q.jpg
Continued...

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the kreg r3 has been popping up on amazon for 13bucks off and on this week (currently it's 30)
Kreg Jig R3 Pocket Hole System

some are saying some local HD's have it at 13$ as well, input zip to check

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lowe's design services rendering. New Dishwasher placement.
1EXqusp.jpg
New cupboards start going into place. Handles installed. Prep'd and ready for the countertop to be laid in place.
pytqrOM.jpg
Everything in place, new sink cut out and installed, new faucet installed, and Dishwasher setup. New baseboard goes on.
jX3C1mm.jpg
New appliances and hood.
XmxbiN3.jpg

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
New appliances and hood.
XmxbiN3.jpg

someone please tell me what you store in that cabinet above the hood? usually it's got a huge pipe in the middle anyway.

worse is the tiny cabinets above the fridge, can't even reach em w/o a step stool.

Vinen

God is dead
someone please tell me what you store in that cabinet above the hood? usually it's got a huge pipe in the middle anyway.

worse is the tiny cabinets above the fridge, can't even reach em w/o a step stool.

Most of the cases I've seen its literally there to just cover up the vent.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Midget problems.

As you can see, there is no vent on this hood, the grease and shit just gets trapped into the filters that need to be cleaned occasionally. People store their spices or maybe their blender up there.

Vinen

God is dead
Midget problems.

As you can see, there is no vent on this hood, the grease and shit just gets trapped into the filters that need to be cleaned occasionally. People store their spices or maybe their blender up there.

Eww.

And jesus how tall are you?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Midget problems.

The only thing I hate about this is that electric cord hanging down

• 1Solidarity

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The cabinet supports the hood.

Looks good.

An overhead full depth cabinet and a side fridge panel could dress that fridge up bigly if there's extra money in the budget.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
Dude, if I was you I would 100% get a faucet that is dependent on a person holding it to enable function.

Meaning they have to have their hand on it to turn it on, the instant they remove their hand it shuts off.

Especially with old people, the amount of times my grandma turned on the faucet and walked away is astounding. Imagine that without a drain...hope for success, plan for failure.

EDIT:

I'm making the assumption that stove faucets don't have a drain.

THis is an absolutely good point. I'm going to see if I can find an attachment. I looked around and there wasn't anything that matched this.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
THis is an absolutely good point. I'm going to see if I can find an attachment. I looked around and there wasn't anything that matched this.

Could go with something like:

Attached to:

that way you could have the water "Always on" but the switch on the valve would serve as a safety.

Vinen

God is dead
Could go with something like:

Attached to:

that way you could have the water "Always on" but the switch on the valve would serve as a safety.

Thanks! I'm going to chat with my plumber and electrican about this. Meeting with them tomorrow anyhow.

iannis

Musty Nester

Hurricane supplies. Oil lamps, a coil of nylon rope, some plastic painters tarps (they fold up small). Stuff like that.

Basically shit that I only need to open that cabinet for maybe once or twice a year.

I mean yeah you could keep them in the garage.

Other stuff would be like pots that you barely ever use. an ice cream maker or something like that.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hurricane supplies. Oil lamps, a coil of nylon rope, some plastic painters tarps (they fold up small). Stuff like that.

Basically shit that I only need to open that cabinet for maybe once or twice a year.

I mean yeah you could keep them in the garage.

Other stuff would be like pots that you barely ever use. an ice cream maker or something like that.
yea i currently got my salad spinner and my whetstone kit up there, the once a month usage.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
HD having a sale on heat pump water heaters. Payback is prob tough but may do it anyway since mines at about 8 years old.