Home Improvement

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you actually want to have a decent relationship with your neighbors, you sort of just have to be nice, as painful as that can be. Come to an understanding, maybe politely share a property line drawing with them and be like "we both want to keep things clean, so here's what I'm going to do. Maybe _____ would work for you too?" Shitty neighbors can escalate quickly and if you're not there all the time because it's a secondary/tertiary property, that's could be bad. Who knows what you'll find or what BS they will try to pull.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So did some digging and no luck. Couldn't find it.. Well is probably 60+ years old and my grandfather used to own most of the land around the current property so dunno what permitting looked like back then?

Maybe it's worth trying to find the permit with the county? Other than that nfc how to get info on it. I think I'm gonna see if I can get the pump running. If not buy another and try it. He had it hooked up to an elaborate sprinkler systems that spans enormous parts if the property.. All copper sprinklers that are still standing.

We have some that aren't in the databases too, and the databases also show some wells that aren't there. What kind of pump does it have? If it's a shallow well jet pump on the surface then it's not deep. You can test it by tying a wine bottle to a string (tie it on good and then wrap it up with electrical tape so you don't lose the bottle down the well) and lowering it until it stops and the bottle is floating. Tie a knot in the string there and then pull it up and fill the bottle with water and lower it back down until it hits bottom and tie another knot. The first knot will tell you the static water level and the second will tell you the overall depth of the well. Obviously that won't work if the well is 800 feet deep, but if the pump is on the surface and not in the bottom of the well then it's probably shallow.

If you actually want to have a decent relationship with your neighbors, you sort of just have to be nice, as painful as that can be. Come to an understanding, maybe politely share a property line drawing with them and be like "we both want to keep things clean, so here's what I'm going to do. Maybe _____ would work for you too?" Shitty neighbors can escalate quickly and if you're not there all the time because it's a secondary/tertiary property, that's could be bad. Who knows what you'll find or what BS they will try to pull.

I agree that this is a situation to tread lightly. Having neighbors who can keep an eye on your shit when you're gone a lot is valuable and they can also fuck with you while you're gone if you get off on the wrong foot. If it's a small community she could turn all of your other neighbors against you too.

There's something about new property ownership that makes people paranoid. When new people move into our rural neighborhood it seems like they can't wait to start putting locks on everything and putting up no trespassing signs and surveillance cameras and shit in places that have been open for 100 years and nobody wanted to fuck with in the first place. Running around fussing about "my property" and figuring out exact property lines and such doesn't make a good first impression. You just come across as looking like a paranoid nut job when no one else in the neighborhood has that stuff and your property didn't either until you showed up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Foler Foler forgot what they are called, but there should be markers for your property line.

Just clean up around them. Usually its a tree, stone, post, etc.

BrutulTM BrutulTM is right tho. Just gotta be nice, firm, and imo spend time with them. Invite her over for tea on afternoon and tell her your moving into grandpa's old cabin, etc etc. There will be a few busy bodies, and if you can make a good impression / stay in touch / maintain the relationship they will be a benefit and hopefully offset some of the headache.

And tbh, sometimes its just lonely old people that turn out nice as fuck and will bring you food and genuinely care.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Met with GC, his electrician and plumber today. Really solid people. Out of everyone I've had come out for quotes they were hands down the most thorough and it really felt like a team effort to design things the right way.

Prob will go with him unless it's ridiculously overpriced which I doubt it will be. And gotcha's with GC's? I checked his license and it's valid and to get a license in Florida it requires insurance. He doesn't really do surety bonds on residential stuff. Gonna do permitting for everything.

Edit - thanks for reply on neighbors everyone. Have follow-up question tomorrow.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So did some digging and no luck. Couldn't find it.. Well is probably 60+ years old and my grandfather used to own most of the land around the current property so dunno what permitting looked like back then?

Maybe it's worth trying to find the permit with the county? Other than that nfc how to get info on it. I think I'm gonna see if I can get the pump running. If not buy another and try it. He had it hooked up to an elaborate sprinkler systems that spans enormous parts if the property.. All copper sprinklers that are still standing.

Here to find out when it was put in the appraisal district will have the date since your taxes go up after you put in a well. Here the's an agency that keeps track of wells, how deep and how long they have been in/out of service. The name of the agency no fucking clue but I've read about it in a few articles and friends have mentioned it. Here they also keep track of the oil/gas wells so you may be fighting an uphill battle to get them to answer a question on a private well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've got a dick of a neighbor that has his water drainage running down the property line and then curves onto my yard in front of the street. One of those guys with perfect grass that doesn't let his kids play on it. My dog barks in his face whenever he's near the fence.

We are both amicable, but not friends. Both private people.

I met with him when I installed our fence, even though legally I didn't need to, just to alert him of the install and naking sure I didn't "infringe" on any of his property.

There's value in not being a dick to people and putting up with the minor things. Legally you could probably get her for trespassing or whatever but at the end of the day you have to live next to this person. I'm sure this guy hates my dog as much as I hate his stupid fuckin pipe.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
We have some that aren't in the databases too, and the databases also show some wells that aren't there. What kind of pump does it have? If it's a shallow well jet pump on the surface then it's not deep. You can test it by tying a wine bottle to a string (tie it on good and then wrap it up with electrical tape so you don't lose the bottle down the well) and lowering it until it stops and the bottle is floating. Tie a knot in the string there and then pull it up and fill the bottle with water and lower it back down until it hits bottom and tie another knot. The first knot will tell you the static water level and the second will tell you the overall depth of the well. Obviously that won't work if the well is 800 feet deep, but if the pump is on the surface and not in the bottom of the well then it's probably shallow.

I agree that this is a situation to tread lightly. Having neighbors who can keep an eye on your shit when you're gone a lot is valuable and they can also fuck with you while you're gone if you get off on the wrong foot. If it's a small community she could turn all of your other neighbors against you too.

There's something about new property ownership that makes people paranoid. When new people move into our rural neighborhood it seems like they can't wait to start putting locks on everything and putting up no trespassing signs and surveillance cameras and shit in places that have been open for 100 years and nobody wanted to fuck with in the first place. Running around fussing about "my property" and figuring out exact property lines and such doesn't make a good first impression. You just come across as looking like a paranoid nut job when no one else in the neighborhood has that stuff and your property didn't either until you showed up.
Foler Foler forgot what they are called, but there should be markers for your property line.

Just clean up around them. Usually its a tree, stone, post, etc.

BrutulTM BrutulTM is right tho. Just gotta be nice, firm, and imo spend time with them. Invite her over for tea on afternoon and tell her your moving into grandpa's old cabin, etc etc. There will be a few busy bodies, and if you can make a good impression / stay in touch / maintain the relationship they will be a benefit and hopefully offset some of the headache.

And tbh, sometimes its just lonely old people that turn out nice as fuck and will bring you food and genuinely care.

So I was real friendly with her. She asked if we were developing the property and said "im not sure but we like to keep an open mind," then when she told me she comes on my side to clear the brush 10-15 ft back from the fence I just told her "ah ok, don't worry about that anymore, I'll make sure it's taken care of." I did chain/lock our fence that for whatever reason has a gate from her property to mine. Was hoping it would be kind of a nom-confrontational way to establish not coming on the property. I mean she has a giant hammock tied to a tree on my side of the property line then to a tree on hers. Don't mind that at all.

I literally spent all fucking day in Florida heat with another guy cleaning up the brush she cut on our property and left sitting there. Now I either have to burn it in the fire pit or haul it off. I wouldn't have minded it as much if she hauled the shit off. I feel like it was a pretty nice gesture not berating her to clean it up and just doing it then clearing even more brush along her line (to show her we cared) when she obviously knew that I was cleaning her shit up.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So I was real friendly with her. She asked if we were developing the property and said "im not sure but we like to keep an open mind," then when she told me she comes on my side to clear the brush 10-15 ft back from the fence I just told her "ah ok, don't worry about that anymore, I'll make sure it's taken care of." I did chain/lock our fence that for whatever reason has a gate from her property to mine. Was hoping it would be kind of a nom-confrontational way to establish not coming on the property. I mean she has a giant hammock tied to a tree on my side of the property line then to a tree on hers. Don't mind that at all.

I literally spent all fucking day in Florida heat with another guy cleaning up the brush she cut on our property and left sitting there. Now I either have to burn it in the fire pit or haul it off. I wouldn't have minded it as much if she hauled the shit off. I feel like it was a pretty nice gesture not berating her to clean it up and just doing it then clearing even more brush along her line (to show her we cared) when she obviously knew that I was cleaning her shit up.
Get a woodchipper and add a layer of mulch to the property line.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My next door neighbor wants to put an in ground pool in. She tells me that the roots of a tree in my yard stop her from doing this. She wants me to remove the tree @$5000 bucks. Can she take me to court over this?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My next door neighbor wants to put an in ground pool in. She tells me that the roots of a tree in my yard stop her from doing this. She wants me to remove the tree @$5000 bucks. Can she take me to court over this?

She can, but it will be a waste of time and money and then you could maybe even file a civil suit back for wasting said time and money.

It's not a safety issue. It's not detrimental to the aesthetic of her property. It's a narcissistic, selfish desire. If she wants it so bad, SHE can pay for that bullshit. But, it's your damn tree so tell her to go pound sand.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding is [edit for clarification] yes but she’s unlikely to win because Of why she wants the tree gone [/edit]. This might vary by municipality, but I’ve been told that responsibility for a tree that extends over two properties is divided at the property line. For example, if a branch crosses over the property line, that owner has every right to trim it back and the owner that has the trunk on their property isn’t liable for damages caused by that limb should it fall. Whether or not that actually holds up in front of a judge will depend on the judge and which side of the bed they woke up on that morning.

Edit: I’ve been lucky enough to never have an issue with trees across property lines as I’ve put in the effort to have some rapport with my neighbors. What she’s demanding isn’t reasonable imo, but she may still be able to bring a civil suit which will be at minimum a burden of time and money if you get an attorney. Any chance for some dialogue with her that isn’t confrontational?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
She can, but it will be a waste of time and money and then you could maybe even file a civil suit back for wasting said time and money.

It's not a safety issue. It's not detrimental to the aesthetic of her property. It's a narcissistic, selfish desire. If she wants it so bad, SHE can pay for that bullshit. But, it's your damn tree so tell her to go pound sand.

I pretty much told her I'm not partially paying to have HER pool installed. I have told her time and time again, she can trim the branches of the tree, which are nowhere near her house or garage. She wants more sunshine. Fine trim it. This is her way of getting that tree trimmed on my dollar.

Siliconemelons

She can dig the roots out of a tree that is on your property, but roots extend to hers...just like she can trim the tree branches etc. that on from your tree that cross over the property line.

So if there is a big tree next door, and a storm comes, and a big ol branch that is over my property breaks and falls on my property, it is on me.

If there is a big tree next door and a storm comes and the tree tips over, and a big ol branch that was over my property is the "part" of the tree that causes damage... expect your insurance companies to argue.

If there is a big tree next door and you send in the tree trimmers to cut the thing down to the property line constantly...then it falls over and damages your property...expect your insurance companies to argue, but have more chance of winning as you "took care of your property/side" as much as you could.

As for this root thing... hurmm... I bet insurance lawyers would love to know she/they knew there was a bunch of roots they ripped up and affected the stability of the tree if said tree were to fall over and land anywhere...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As for this root thing... hurmm... I bet insurance lawyers would love to know she/they knew there was a bunch of roots they ripped up and affected the stability of the tree if said tree were to fall over and land anywhere...

Yup, document this process in writing if it happens. Killing 1/4, 1/3 of the roots could kill the whole tree and cause it to fall in time, severely damaging other structures or endangering lives.

Don't give in, Brahma.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Document this for sure, When the tree falls down because she secretly removes a bunch of roots the lawyers would like to know that

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So was out today clearing vines off the property fence next door to another neighbor who has a huge ass house on his lot with a turquoise bentley in the driveway. Guy pulls up in an s550 its the owner, cool dude. Did the small talk and laid the groundwork for future bbq invite. Thanks for everyones advice im building strong relationships with the neighbors. Gonna be my best allies.

Apparently his house is kinda famous. It has a basement wine cellar IN FLORIDA. I gotta get in and see this shit.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Question.

So as part of the repipe were installing a washer/dryer hookup in the "shed." It had all concrete slab flooring. Plumber talked to permitting guy for county today and they said we have to break the flooring and put it under there. Would have thought running it in the wall would make more sense for access in case something breaks.

3 options

1. Dont permit the project

2. Have project inspected then do washer hookup after

3. Add $1200 to project to plumb it all in concrete slab floor.

$1200 doesnt matter, i can may it. I just want to do what makes sense. Any opinions?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Question.

So as part of the repipe were installing a washer/dryer hookup in the "shed." It had all concrete slab flooring. Plumber talked to permitting guy for county today and they said we have to break the flooring and put it under there. Would have thought running it in the wall would make more sense for access in case something breaks.

3 options

1. Dont permit the project

2. Have project inspected then do washer hookup after

3. Add $1200 to project to plumb it all in concrete slab floor.

$1200 doesnt matter, i can may it. I just want to do what makes sense. Any opinions?

Doing it right the first time makes the most sense.

You kinda fucked up and have a super anal plumber since he went straight to the town. If permits were talked about between the plumber and the township, there is a very possible chance they might just randomly stop by to see whats up. If they stop by and said you need to get a permit and you dont have one, thats no fun. They will fuck with you. I would not have gotten a permit for this at all but youre thing is now different.

Most jobs dont need permits if you have a decent tradesman, most the time people arent very good and thats why it exists.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So was out today clearing vines off the property fence next door to another neighbor who has a huge ass house on his lot with a turquoise bentley in the driveway. Guy pulls up in an s550 its the owner, cool dude. Did the small talk and laid the groundwork for future bbq invite. Thanks for everyones advice im building strong relationships with the neighbors. Gonna be my best allies.

Apparently his house is kinda famous. It has a basement wine cellar IN FLORIDA. I gotta get in and see this shit.

Basement wine cellar/safe house to hole up against mobs. You got the guns, just get the rations.

• 1Like