Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also, anyone recommend a good product for cleaning roof stains? I see a bunch on Amazon, spray, let sit, then spray off.

I did some research last fall and wound up buying something called "30 second outdoor cleaner". Winter came early and I haven't actually used it yet but there's a lot of good reviews on YouTube. I'll post the results when I actually try it but you might check it out.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Foler Foler re: Deer..

Salt licks, dunno how they will work for florida deer, may as well set up a 7/11 and sell skittles but for PNW deer a salt lick is fuckin magical. Plus you get a ton of other things that stop by for a poke on it. It isn't JUST salt, it's basically a mineral deposit for animals.

EDIT:

OH and NEVER shoot animals at your lick, no first hand experience but I've heard stories about grazers never returning after you shoot / kill one at a lick / feed location. Aside from boar...those hapless fucks will eat everything.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I use it for deer hunting, and put it at the edge of clearings. So usually no second tree

And I don't use sheet metal, that was in response to your bear problem. Lol
Ahh gotcha. Ya I think between two trees maybe 14 ft high using chain would be best. Researching different brands of feeders, lemme know if you have a rec..

I did some research last fall and wound up buying something called "30 second outdoor cleaner". Winter came early and I haven't actually used it yet but there's a lot of good reviews on YouTube. I'll post the results when I actually try it but you might check it out.

Thanks I'll look it up.

Foler Foler re: Deer..

Salt licks, dunno how they will work for florida deer, may as well set up a 7/11 and sell skittles but for PNW deer a salt lick is fuckin magical. Plus you get a ton of other things that stop by for a poke on it. It isn't JUST salt, it's basically a mineral deposit for animals.

EDIT:

OH and NEVER shoot animals at your lick, no first hand experience but I've heard stories about grazers never returning after you shoot / kill one at a lick / feed location. Aside from boar...those hapless fucks will eat everything.

Ooo this looks good. I have a feeling a bear may run off with it if I can't chain it down but they're stupid cheap so I'm gonna order one now as an experiment and see what happens...

Nah I don't think I'll kill anything on my property. I like the animals here, it's like old Florida.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Ahh gotcha. Ya I think between two trees maybe 14 ft high using chain would be best. Researching different brands of feeders, lemme know if you have a rec..

Thanks I'll look it up.

Ooo this looks good. I have a feeling a bear may run off with it if I can't chain it down but they're stupid cheap so I'm gonna order one now as an experiment and see what happens...

Nah I don't think I'll kill anything on my property. I like the animals here, it's like old Florida.

Put the salt licks on a decent stump if you can

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Put the salt licks on a decent stump if you can
There's holes in the middle with rope going through them, I think I may try replacing it with chain to prevent yogi running off with it.

I did see the mom and baby this morning.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So met with electrician #2 for quote today. Apparently house is grounded. The asshole yesterday didn't tell me that so I'm sure he's gonna send me a 10k+ quote for complete rewire.. I think I'm gonna just switch the panels/outlets/switches out and keep the cloth wiring for now. Didn't seem like a fire hazard. Anyone see a downside to keeping the original cloth wire over paying for a complete rewire other than potential earlier failure???

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There's holes in the middle with rope going through them, I think I may try replacing it with chain to prevent yogi running off with it.

I did see the mom and baby this morning.

You see mom and baby, I see brats and fried tenderloin with gravy

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
So met with electrician #2 for quote today. Apparently house is grounded. The asshole yesterday didn't tell me that so I'm sure he's gonna send me a 10k+ quote for complete rewire.. I think I'm gonna just switch the panels/outlets/switches out and keep the cloth wiring for now. Didn't seem like a fire hazard. Anyone see a downside to keeping the original cloth wire over paying for a complete rewire other than potential earlier failure???

The old wire should be fine. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket swapping out the receptacles seems like a good option. The new panels will be the most expensive part but it will be a bigger upgrade than the outlets. Be sure to get a big enough panel to allow additional circuits down the road. It's also an opportunity to add some outlets where you might use them and fix any retarded things that might have been done in the past. The house I'm moving out of has literally every outlet in the house on a single circuit so if I use my electric griddle and the coffee pot at the same time it shuts off my computer on the other end of the house. Gotta love wiring done by a farmer before YouTube was around to learn how to do stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The old wire should be fine. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket swapping out the receptacles seems like a good option. The new panels will be the most expensive part but it will be a bigger upgrade than the outlets. Be sure to get a big enough panel to allow additional circuits down the road.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Gonna skip a rewire and do the panels/outlets/switches!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm always in favour of swapping out cloth wire. It ages badly. I know it's likely stable for now, but it won't be forever. A complete rewire is hella expensive, especially if you can't do it yourself. It's still something to consider. Especially if you start swapping outlets and some of the wire or it's insulating case starts cracking.

Also, I hate this ladder in many ways, it's heavy, it's a beast to move around, but it's really versatile. You can get them in varying lengths.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I'm always in favour of swapping out cloth wire. It ages badly. I know it's likely stable for now, but it won't be forever. A complete rewire is hella expensive, especially if you can't do it yourself. It's still something to consider. Especially if you start swapping outlets and some of the wire or it's insulating case starts cracking.

Also, I hate this ladder in many ways, it's heavy, it's a beast to move around, but it's really versatile. You can get them in varying lengths.

Yeah just got one quote back for the rewire, 12.5k. I know cloth isn't ideal but I can afford to put a complete rewire off for now. I'm prob already gonna be in the 10-15k to bury power lines and the repipe 4-6k, then random shit maybe another 3k?

Yeah I heard the little giant was great, werners mt-26 is very very similar to the point I'll get whichever is in stock tomorrow.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also I have an ancient well that used to be used for a pretty impressive copper irrigation system that's still standing across a large portion of the property. Right now it's not functional.

You guys think I should do something with the well? Worth pumping money into to get the pump/tank fixed? I could get it fixed and ends up the pipe down in the well could be broken costing even more money... It's in Florida so not sure how good the water would be. Any ideas? Only worth it if I wanna fix the irrigation?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There is probably a database somewhere for your state that would have well records. Might be able to at least find out how deep it is and how much it produces.

EDIT: Search | State of Florida Open Data

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stupid question

Playset we built had a few extra holes drilled in it (for various expansions). Literally first day a yellow jacket took home in one and covered the end with nest shit. I'm not sure what's going on in the other side of the hole, but assume hes in there. Gonna spray the fuck out of him, but what can I fill the holes with? Just standard wood filler?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Stupid question

Playset we built had a few extra holes drilled in it (for various expansions). Literally first day a yellow jacket took home in one and covered the end with nest shit. I'm not sure what's going on in the other side of the hole, but assume hes in there. Gonna spray the fuck out of him, but what can I fill the holes with? Just standard wood filler?

Construction adhesive?

I mean, depending on the hole size that might not go amazing. I would just use exterior grade caulking and fill that hole. Caulking is godlike.