Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whatever you do, don't use brakeclean near your lawn, i was cleaning calipers/rotors etc to paint em red to get more horsepower and the overspray nuked a 30in monitor size patch of grass.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Been cleaning the land (holy hell is that harder than i thought in florida summer). I found this guy in some leaves. I think its a rim rocked crown snake or a red-bellied snake. Neither of which are apparently found in this area of Florida. Kinda interesting.

20200605_123615-01.jpeg

20200605_123525-01.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Still waiting on the quote from the GC...

Anyone use that composite stuff to build a deck? How about specialized wood? We looked at some composite that our GC was using on one project, forget the brand name but it looked cheap.

Is there any composite stuff that looks realistic or at least not plasticy? If we can't find some then i think we'll redo the deck in wood again which will just be constant maintenance... What about pvc decking like azek? What about specialized wood products like kebony and accoya?

Siliconemelons

You are not full time living in this property right?

I would go with the composite "wood" for the entire deck, it will be more costly - but it will last- even the base 4x4's... or take the time to RE-TREAT all of the wood with sealant...not just the top of the deck... drive around...perhaps not in a wealthy 'burb...but look at any normal wood fence and its condition after a few years... all of that wood was "pressure treated" wood yet look how it holds up to Florida. Florida is nasty, hot, wet, strange cold times that jack up the wood to then just be hit with hot death the next day...or heck, that afternoon... you get sometimes some stupid dramatic temp changes in FL.

If you lived there full time or are willing to re-treat the deck every 6-12months then the wood will last.

Use concreat footers, wood on the ground = death... again go look at the bottom of wood fences (they should not be on the ground, but everyone does because we all know we are replacing sections in a few years anyway)

Edit: also be sure to screen, and screen well, around the deck bottom to the ground...or you will have more than that little red guy living under there.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We got some lawn gurus up in here... ain't dare post a pic of my "bird seed" yard :)
If it grows, it mows.

I have 2 acres of lawn, the mowing upkeep alone has me considering paying someone else to do that. Fuck the extra stuff some of you do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If it grows, it mows.

I have 2 acres of lawn, the mowing upkeep alone has me considering paying someone else to do that. Fuck the extra stuff some of you do.
i've seen an increase of this robo mower recently, it was 849 and steadily rising (means it's being bought)

but that one only does 1/4 on a charge, you'd probably want the 1/2 acre one
Worx WR150 Landroid L 20V Power Share Robotic Lawn Mower

if you wanna futz with gps (have it mow by gps instead of roomba random style) pony up another 300

1500 sounds like a lot but for plug n play lawn care, why not. most of us have roombas now, and if you don't have a dog taking a random shit on the floor, your floor is 1960s housewife clean.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You are not full time living in this property right?

I would go with the composite "wood" for the entire deck, it will be more costly - but it will last- even the base 4x4's... or take the time to RE-TREAT all of the wood with sealant...not just the top of the deck... drive around...perhaps not in a wealthy 'burb...but look at any normal wood fence and its condition after a few years... all of that wood was "pressure treated" wood yet look how it holds up to Florida. Florida is nasty, hot, wet, strange cold times that jack up the wood to then just be hit with hot death the next day...or heck, that afternoon... you get sometimes some stupid dramatic temp changes in FL.

If you lived there full time or are willing to re-treat the deck every 6-12months then the wood will last.

Use concreat footers, wood on the ground = death... again go look at the bottom of wood fences (they should not be on the ground, but everyone does because we all know we are replacing sections in a few years anyway)

Edit: also be sure to screen, and screen well, around the deck bottom to the ground...or you will have more than that little red guy living under there.
Any specific composite? The stuff we saw just looked cheap.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I dare not post my grass, it looks so bad. Impossible to water too unless I spend my whole night moving a sprinkler around

Siliconemelons

Any specific composite? The stuff we saw just looked cheap.

Well, it is rubber/plastic fake wood...so it will not /look/ as good as real wood, but it looks a heck of alot better than large cracks dried up weather and rain rotten wood ;-) I have noticed a lot of parks and places replacing the "top" of wooden walkway rails with the composite... 10$ it was because someone ran their hand across the wood and got a splinter and sued...lol

I do not know much about options other than Lowes or the Depot.

I could have sworn I have seen composite 2x4 and 4x4's but I am not finding them... /shrug... but the "top" is what gets most weathered anyway as long as your frame is raised- they have concrete footers that have 2x4 slots in them.

oh here... yes...they exist... https://www.deckmagazine.com/products/materials-hardware/composite-2x4_o

1591794482999.png

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well, it is rubber/plastic fake wood...so it will not /look/ as good as real wood, but it looks a heck of alot better than large cracks dried up weather and rain rotten wood ;-) I have noticed a lot of parks and places replacing the "top" of wooden walkway rails with the composite... 10$ it was because someone ran their hand across the wood and got a splinter and sued...lol

I do not know much about options other than Lowes or the Depot.

I could have sworn I have seen composite 2x4 and 4x4's but I am not finding them... /shrug... but the "top" is what gets most weathered anyway as long as your frame is raised- they have concrete footers that have 2x4 slots in them.

oh here... yes...they exist... https://www.deckmagazine.com/products/materials-hardware/composite-2x4_o

View attachment 276875
Have you heard of kebony and accoya?

They're like modified woods.. Can't find really any first person experience with them online but they seem to look good.

Siliconemelons

Have you heard of kebony and accoya?

They're like modified woods.. Can't find really any first person experience with them online but they seem to look good.

No, not directly. I had a friend who is an engineer that worked for Raytheon for many years until he was swiped by Draper and now is he in Boston. He was discussing block v wood frame homes - and he was talking about how this new type of infused or modified wood that is flexible and stronger than block - and that would be the preferred building material for FL homes in the future so the entire house could flex some under constant high winds and still have a strong resistance etc. etc. so best of both worlds, plus the added bonus of being an easier building project that should offset the cost. No idea where this stuff went though... I think it would be hard to convince a person building a home "I can build you a /special/ stick home for just as much as block! Theoretically it is better! Pay no attention to all these 1950's block homes that are still here throughout all the storms of the past 70 years."

But as a deck...who knows...however that seems to be their specialty overlooking their site.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
No, not directly. I had a friend who is an engineer that worked for Raytheon for many years until he was swiped by Draper and now is he in Boston. He was discussing block v wood frame homes - and he was talking about how this new type of infused or modified wood that is flexible and stronger than block - and that would be the preferred building material for FL homes in the future so the entire house could flex some under constant high winds and still have a strong resistance etc. etc. so best of both worlds, plus the added bonus of being an easier building project that should offset the cost. No idea where this stuff went though... I think it would be hard to convince a person building a home "I can build you a /special/ stick home for just as much as block! Theoretically it is better! Pay no attention to all these 1950's block homes that are still here throughout all the storms of the past 70 years."

But as a deck...who knows...however that seems to be their specialty overlooking their site.
Yeah.

Im sure its pricey too. Kinds skeptical to be an early adopter since i cant find many people talking about it online. In theory it sounds amazing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So new construction home I bought, three years old. Take a look at my fucking siding.. Builder is washing his hands of it because it's outside the one year labor/materials warranty, and siding company he used has a new name and under new ownership.

1591807707156.png

• 2WTF
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler My father in law has a composite deck. It doesn't look "bad" but it doesn't look like wood either. When I first saw it I leaned towards not liking it, but the more I saw it and was around it the more it grew on me. He told me does a light pressure wash once a season and it looks the same as it did when it was first built.

I replaced all the deck boards on the small deck that adjoins my above ground pool last year. The boards I replaced were only 1/4 or 3/8 thick but survived about 15 years of presumed neglect and abuse (new decking is 5/8 thick). It wasn't too bad as far as effort and cost goes, but it's only about 250 sq ft and no complex cuts since it's freestanding next to the pool. I've yet to seal it but it's on my to do list.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Here’s some in progress pics and the final results from the chicken coop I built last month. It took longer than I thought it would because I had to move my power tools out of the shop to not freak out the baby chickens, and I had to do the assembly on site because I don’t have a way to move the finished structure. It’s probably 75% reclaimed lumber, but it still ended up costing me around $500 in materials.

Some notable features are one side panel is removable the adjacent panel is hinged to swing down so the floor can be swept, the nesting box has a hinged lid for easy access, and there’s three sliding windows (they’ll be open almost year round but in jan and feb there are some 30 degree days). I definitely put more effort into the aesthetics than necessary, but I also had a ton of free time and wanted the practice. I got a kick out of my grandmother telling me “That's too nice for chickens!”
A810FB65-7ED7-48FE-AB8C-CF79BC836633.jpeg
3327E126-4C52-48F5-B4AF-05FF8A11700D.jpeg
7EAAE59C-20EC-4DF7-A5C0-9C45E09BE118.jpeg
0EFD2716-A13C-4DCA-936E-29FADA614E3F.jpeg
538630BC-43CD-4EE6-B2A2-34FB620485D0.jpeg
1A192BC1-7488-4C2E-98A4-9859D29F082E.jpeg
084F21FF-49EE-4613-9AAD-0C76DE2D1CC1.jpeg
77EF9281-EF35-417A-BD5E-0E2C2B7F1A2D.jpeg
B0554FFC-D582-4EC3-8326-10A59A185A1B.jpeg
D74255ED-B24C-4EAF-801A-54DEB8083599.jpeg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Here’s some in progress pics and the final results from the chicken coop I built last month. It took longer than I thought it would because I had to move my power tools out of the shop to not freak out the baby chickens, and I had to do the assembly on site because I don’t have a way to move the finished structure. It’s probably 75% reclaimed lumber, but it still ended up costing me around $500 in materials.

Some notable features are one side panel is removable the adjacent panel is hinged to swing down so the floor can be swept, the nesting box has a hinged lid for easy access, and there’s three sliding windows (they’ll be open almost year round but in jan and feb there are some 30 degree days). I definitely put more effort into the aesthetics than necessary, but I also had a ton of free time and wanted the practice. I got a kick out of my grandmother telling me “That's too nice for chickens!”
View attachment 276956

Nice work. How many birds do you figure you can keep in there?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think concrete decks are pretty nice. My brother has one and materials wise it was similar to wood but it should last forever with little to no maintenance. If you don't like the look of plain concrete you can color it and use stamps and such to get a more finished look.

(not his deck, just a picture from the internet)
deck.jpg

and a stamped one...

allen-patio-contractors-concrete-decks-wood-stamped-concrete-stained-concrete-companies-allen-patios.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users