Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
so with all this lawn mower talk, i woke up today and decided to try cross-blade/dual blades, basically this
RackMultipart20170509-130826-1f7kfx9-IMG_2364_-_Copy_inline.JPG

for me i wouldn't recommend it, my blades are balanced, and i guess when i mounted them they still shifted, my hands are still trembling and i have impact rated gloves too, also it sounds like a fucking turbine.
Looks sketchy to me. I’d be perpetually afraid of shrapnel embedding into my calves.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Well boys. Just got the bid from the GC...

$23.5k.

Repiping using Bow superPex with brass fittings, washing machine drain/supply hookup, remove current water heater inside house and install new 40 gallon water heater in shed 20 ft from house, recirculating pump, rerouting hot water lines to go from the shed (new location for water heater) to the house.

Electrical - New feed wire for air handler and A/C unit, replacing house panel & installing 100 amp 4 wire feeder cable from service panel, replace all switches and plates with tamper resistant receptacles and decora switches, GFCI receptacles in bathroom and kitchen, fix cooktop/oven circuit so it's not on one circuit using junction box, install dedicated receptacle for frig, add switch/receptacle in attic, add 1 weatherprof GFCI receptacle outside, replace overhead meter base to underground meter base to prep for underground electrical conversion.

Then. completely redo 390 sqrft deck.

Cost for various phases
Deck demo/replcement, 4.8k
plumbing, 7.5k
electrical 7.8k
concrete demo and patching 1k

Remainder is supervision, debris removal, cleaning, and overhead to manage project.

Any thoughts?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also, I've verified my general contractors license. Do I need to verify the license of his electrician and plumber? Anything I'm missing? Said he generally doesn't do surety bonds for residential jobs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looks sketchy to me. I’d be perpetually afraid of shrapnel embedding into my calves.
i did a full mow with it, i wouldn't do it again, also it cut way lower than i'm used to (my setting is the highest), admittedly it did shred/mulch better on tall grass, i only mow my backyard every other week, cuz eh, and i'll usually have residue mulching lines, but i didn't have any this time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My Honda has twin blades, but definitely not crossed like that, they're nearly on top of eachother

I just replaced them last week. I'm a big dummy and flipped my mower the wrong way and bled oil all into the air filter. Thankfully just replacing the air filter letm e get it started, but could've been a lot worse.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

$23.5k.

Repiping using Bow superPex with brass fittings, washing machine drain/supply hookup, remove current water heater inside house and install new 40 gallon water heater in shed 20 ft from house, recirculating pump, rerouting hot water lines to go from the shed (new location for water heater) to the house.

Electrical - New feed wire for air handler and A/C unit, replacing house panel & installing 100 amp 4 wire feeder cable from service panel, replace all switches and plates with tamper resistant receptacles and decora switches, GFCI receptacles in bathroom and kitchen, fix cooktop/oven circuit so it's not on one circuit using junction box, install dedicated receptacle for frig, add switch/receptacle in attic, add 1 weatherprof GFCI receptacle outside, replace overhead meter base to underground meter base to prep for underground electrical conversion.

Cost for various phases
plumbing, 7.5k
electrical 7.8k

Remainder is supervision, debris removal, cleaning, and overhead to manage project.

Any thoughts?

I'm no expert, but I just choked on my coffee.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I'm no expert, but I just choked on my coffee.
Pretty spot on quote with what I said a few weeks back. He could do a ton of the work himself like the demo and shit but he wont.

Its a teardown but his family will pump 30k into it. Complete waste of money.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here’s some in progress pics and the final results from the chicken coop I built last month. It took longer than I thought it would because I had to move my power tools out of the shop to not freak out the baby chickens, and I had to do the assembly on site because I don’t have a way to move the finished structure. It’s probably 75% reclaimed lumber, but it still ended up costing me around $500 in materials.

Some notable features are one side panel is removable the adjacent panel is hinged to swing down so the floor can be swept, the nesting box has a hinged lid for easy access, and there’s three sliding windows (they’ll be open almost year round but in jan and feb there are some 30 degree days). I definitely put more effort into the aesthetics than necessary, but I also had a ton of free time and wanted the practice. I got a kick out of my grandmother telling me “That's too nice for chickens!”
View attachment 276956
That is a bad ass Chicken Coop. Nice work.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

$23.5k.

Cost for various phases
plumbing, 7.5k
electrical 7.8k

Any thoughts?

How many days work is the plumbing and electrical?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
No idea. Electrical seems overpriced by double and plumbing seems a bit overpriced.

yeah i was thinking that you are getting full day rates for a week or something.

The electrical stuff sounds like it's about 2 days work for 2 guys. I don't think it should be over $4,000.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
yeah i was thinking that you are getting full day rates or something
I dunno. These are the highest bids yet but this is with the gc. They seem like solid people which means a lot but the electrical seems a bit much. I mean shit s full rewire would be like only another 6k at this point.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I dunno. These are the highest bids yet but this is with the gc. They seem like solid people which means a lot but the electrical seems a bit much. I mean shit s full rewire would be like only another 6k at this point.
If you want to save a bunch of cash, find out where they are going to dig a ditch and do it yourself, Demo everything yourself. Cut like 10k from it I bet.

Digging ditches in 90 degree and 75% humidity sucks dick.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you want to save a bunch of cash, find out where they are going to dig a ditch and do it yourself, Demo everything yourself. Cut like 10k from it I bet.

Dunno where Foler is, but in north central florida it's been low 90s and heat index of 105 the past couple of days 🥵

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Here’s some in progress pics and the final results from the chicken coop I built last month. It took longer than I thought it would because I had to move my power tools out of the shop to not freak out the baby chickens, and I had to do the assembly on site because I don’t have a way to move the finished structure. It’s probably 75% reclaimed lumber, but it still ended up costing me around $500 in materials.

Some notable features are one side panel is removable the adjacent panel is hinged to swing down so the floor can be swept, the nesting box has a hinged lid for easy access, and there’s three sliding windows (they’ll be open almost year round but in jan and feb there are some 30 degree days). I definitely put more effort into the aesthetics than necessary, but I also had a ton of free time and wanted the practice. I got a kick out of my grandmother telling me “That's too nice for chickens!”
View attachment 276956

I don't know jack and shit about chicken coops, but that looks pretty damn good!

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

The ditch their digging isn't far, it's like 20 ft from the pump house to shed.

Demo isn't much, just removing some unused breaker panels inside the shed and then the concrete flooring in shed that's gotta be broken up to reach drain pipe then repatched. So i don't feel like that is what's upping the cost so much.

To clarify, the conversion of above ground to underground electrical is all being handled by the power company so theyll trench that to the house. Just talked to the design engineer the other day and he says he finished the design and its under review but right now it's at 11k (underground transformer unfortunately bumped it up like $4200)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Dunno where Foler is, but in north central florida it's been low 90s and heat index of 105 the past couple of days 🥵
Samish area.

Yeah it's absolutely brutal. I was out clearing the land last week, just getting vines off the fence, clearing up down trees etc and even staying hydrated as hell i had to take a break every 20 min just to cool down. Was a lot harder than i thought... Ill probably go out tomorrow and get back to work devining the fence.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What's the average premium when using a GC? I guess the project management premium.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I cant remember if we talked about it here but has anyone seen this color/stamped concrete decking in person? Looks legit for what it is...

colors-and-stamped-concrete.jpg

80070cc9cf9a9b374d03c53f592adb7c.jpg

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Colored and stamped concrete is amazing. It REALLY classes up some plain-grey concrete slabs. It's got wow-factor and staying power. I think the darker brown (walnut stain color) is the way to go with it most times.

• 1Like