Home Improvement

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Wtf, did they just use untreated green wood?

No fucking clue. A "natural wood Cedar product" is all I've gotten in terms of info. I mean it was sealed on the outside obviously, but either water is getting behind or the wood was unsuitable. On the side of my house covered by an extensive overhang, the siding is fine, so it's obviously moisture related.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Nice work. How many birds do you figure you can keep in there?
Currently have 8 but space requirements vary by breed. I’ve heard 2 sq ft minimum per bird, but vertical space also counts (there’s 3 roosting bars about halfway between floor and ceiling).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm sorry if this is a repost. It is funny every time.

98147176_164875918393274_5018822456794677248_n.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I alternate back and fourth on whether I use a bag or not on my mower. Right now, we've had record rains for June, and of course sun, so my grass is growing like insane. Problem is my mower stalls out all the time, even with a bag. Can't handle the thickness, with a little moisture. I don't know. My first thought was because it doesn't have a side shoot? Is that the case, or is my mower just shitty? Sure, the easier solution may be just to mow it more often so it's not as tall. But I'm gone all week, and when it grows 6 inches in a week, because of the crazy weather, it sucks. Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I alternate back and fourth on whether I use a bag or not on my mower. Right now, we've had record rains for June, and of course sun, so my grass is growing like insane. Problem is my mower stalls out all the time, even with a bag. Can't handle the thickness, with a little moisture. I don't know. My first thought was because it doesn't have a side shoot? Is that the case, or is my mower just shitty? Sure, the easier solution may be just to mow it more often so it's not as tall. But I'm gone all week, and when it grows 6 inches in a week, because of the crazy weather, it sucks. Any suggestions on how to make this easier?
is it electric or gas?

my electric corded mower was great until i hit a rainy week and that shit just stalled and stopped dead, thats when i bought the gas powered and that did the trick

just needed more power.

i've only ever mulched, with a mulching blade if that helps.

Crone

is it electric or gas?

my electric corded mower was great until i hit a rainy week and that shit just stalled and stopped dead, thats when i bought the gas powered and that did the trick

just needed more power.

i've only ever mulched, with a mulching blade if that helps.
Gas. And I've got no special blade, and when not using a bag I don't have a plug. I do feel like I need more power.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gas. And I've got no special blade, and when not using a bag I don't have a plug. I do feel like I need more power.
plug is useful b/c if you are mulching, it'll keep all your grass circulating in the lawn mower deck (the underside), which means it'll have more time to get mulch, otherwise you'll just get two lines of grass coming out as your wheels crush it. i know cuz i bought a mower w/o the plug (as is), i just took some styrafoam cut it a little big and wrapped it in duct tape (if you just shove styrafoam in there, it'll slowly degrade over time w/ damp grass, etc... experience) and made a ghetto plug.

to me, the mulching blade does work, since i put it on, i have no lines of grass and no clumps anywhere, it has high lift (so it keeps the clippings spinning in the deck to eventually get pulverized) and i sharpen my blade every time i mow (well more like i hone it with a leather strop to keep it razor sharp and only sharpen every month)

really does sound like you need more power, maybe make sure you have sharp blades, and if that still isn't doing anything for you, then i believe it's time to invest in more power.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
No side chute available or not in use? Picture?

Crone

No side chute available or not in use? Picture?
No side chute at all available. I also feel that when I use the bag, it gets only half full or so, before it starts stalling out again as well. I'll have to keep shaking the bag to try and get the grass further back in the bag so it'll fill up more.

Lanx Lanx Blades are for sure probably not sharp, and it's the default blades that come with it.

I'm on Homedepot.com right now looking at either gas or battery.

or

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
plug is useful b/c if you are mulching, it'll keep all your grass circulating in the lawn mower deck (the underside), which means it'll have more time to get mulch, otherwise you'll just get two lines of grass coming out as your wheels crush it. i know cuz i bought a mower w/o the plug (as is), i just took some styrafoam cut it a little big and wrapped it in duct tape (if you just shove styrafoam in there, it'll slowly degrade over time w/ damp grass, etc... experience) and made a ghetto plug.

to me, the mulching blade does work, since i put it on, i have no lines of grass and no clumps anywhere, it has high lift (so it keeps the clippings spinning in the deck to eventually get pulverized) and i sharpen my blade every time i mow (well more like i hone it with a leather strop to keep it razor sharp and only sharpen every month)

really does sound like you need more power, maybe make sure you have sharp blades, and if that still isn't doing anything for you, then i believe it's time to invest in more power.

Jeeze, every time?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No side chute at all available. I also feel that when I use the bag, it gets only half full or so, before it starts stalling out again as well. I'll have to keep shaking the bag to try and get the grass further back in the bag so it'll fill up more.

Lanx Lanx Blades are for sure probably not sharp, and it's the default blades that come with it.

I'm on Homedepot.com right now looking at either gas or battery.

or

ppl have rated the ego pretty good and powerful for a battery operated, the only drawback is less than 1hr operational time.

i actually have the blade that comes with the ego, heh it's a nice mulching blade too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jeeze, every time?
yea it really isn't a big deal, i have a impact wrench, so i just flip it on the side and one squeeze the blade comes off, before having the impact wrench i would stuff a block of wood to stop it from spinning and get ready to ratchet it off. and then since i'm only using a leather strop to keep it sharp, i'm not taking off any metal so i don't have bother getting out the balancer and making sure it's balanced. honestly it takes less than 5mins.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd definitely sharpen the blade before I bought a new mower. I think grass with 6" of new growth might choke a lot of mowers though. I know mine chokes if the grass is too tall and it has the side chute.

iannis

Musty Nester
No side chute doesn't help.

Mine goes through stupid growth spurt too. I have a stick to knock the grass plugs out. Lots of shaking the mower like I'm trying to kill a crying baby, too. It's a full body workout.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

I'd definitely sharpen the blade before I bought a new mower. I think grass with 6" of new growth might choke a lot of mowers though. I know mine chokes if the grass is too tall and it has the side chute.
Yea, you are probably right. I think along with the choking out, I think that it doesn't bag the grass very well, and it doesn't mulch very well either. Combination of things.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so with all this lawn mower talk, i woke up today and decided to try cross-blade/dual blades, basically this
RackMultipart20170509-130826-1f7kfx9-IMG_2364_-_Copy_inline.JPG

for me i wouldn't recommend it, my blades are balanced, and i guess when i mounted them they still shifted, my hands are still trembling and i have impact rated gloves too, also it sounds like a fucking turbine.