Home Improvement

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Plumbing done!

Well kinda... When you flush the toilet worked fine 2-3 times then overflowed. They think it could be an issue with the drain field on the septic.. Hopefully gonna have it looked into today.

Anyone here have experience with terrazzo? Just curious if anyone has restored it or if they've performed maintenance/maintained it..

House has original terrazzo from 1960. Hasnt really been maintained. Has stains that i imagine a diamond grinder could get out. Not sure I want to drop money on full restoration right now BUT i would like to prevent it from getting worse so that i can restore it later. I'm not sure what that would look like - resealing? Wax? Etc

No clue on Terrazzo. I had to google it, but I think I love the stuff. I want to do something crazy like butcherblock counter and terrazo backsplash and/or floor.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
No clue on Terrazzo. I had to google it, but I think I love the stuff. I want to do something crazy like butcherblock counter and terrazo backsplash and/or floor.
Apparently it's really good shit that no one does anymore. I think because its $$. There's some really interesting history behind it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I used the $15 HVLP sprayer from harbor freight for the first time tonight. Granted, I watched several videos on how to clean it and dial in the settings prior to using it, but it did a really good job. I sprayed six chairs with poly (thinned with a little xylene) and it was smooth and easy. My compressor is only 3 gallons, but I was able to spray continuously on one chair then wait for the tank to catch up between chairs. I'd definitely get a bigger tank for a bigger project.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been working more on the tiki shed. Our local Granite City closed and auctioned off the fixtures. I won the bid for the maitre de station.

6147a237114564084a9d18ababacb2eb7f23ca7f-1.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
@GuardianX this is old Florida. It ain't that bad man. View from the deck. Down the hill there's a river, hard to see in this pic due to brush.

That's beautiful. I use to do a lot of hunting in Osceola/Okeechobee County back in that day. Not so much now as I have gotten older and more responsibilities. Looks like you are even further north though closer to the Ocala/Gainsville area? I love it up there.

Edit: Fell behind on the thread and am playing catch up! Just past the part about wild turkey tasting like piss and I have to disagree. Never seen anyone I've hunted with eat the legs but just cut out the breast and fry those up in small chunks. They are delicious.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Apparently it's really good shit that no one does anymore. I think because its $$. There's some really interesting history behind it.

My parents floor is it, 50's Florida house. the stuff is the most durable flooring you can have... it is hard AF, but hard AF to level properly, it HAS to be perfectly level... it can be polished up and looks insanely nice...if the colors go with what you have going on. Want some fun, listen in on a carpet install doing tact strips into terrezzal. The stuff is liquid stone essentially,

All Publix's have...had...terrazal - new ones use this stuff that looks like it, but its a rolled rubber flooring,

Also, because it is so hard, flat and smooth...if you have water on it--- WWWOOOOOOO SLIP N SLIDE your done...then your bust your butt on super hard stuff... you think concrete is hard, until you fall on this stuff.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That's beautiful. I use to do a lot of hunting in Osceola/Okeechobee County back in that day. Not so much now as I have gotten older and more responsibilities. Looks like you are even further north though closer to the Ocala/Gainsville area? I love it up there.

Edit: Fell behind on the thread and am playing catch up! Just past the part about wild turkey tasting like piss and I have to disagree. Never seen anyone I've hunted with eat the legs but just cut out the breast and fry those up in small chunks. They are delicious.
Won't dox myself but I'm not near ocala at all. This is a one of a kind property, relative to where it is.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Not cheap.
Pretty cool history behind the stuff. Meeting with a contractor this or next week to see if he can grind the stains out and bring it back to life.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Won't dox myself but I'm not near ocala at all. This is a one of a kind property, relative to where it is.
Nice, yea didn't want you to dox yourself but the pic reminded me of that area. Then again, a lot of rural Florida does look like that. Recently took the fam to rainbow springs which we all enjoyed.

• 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Finally cought up with the thread! It's interesting reading about different home ownership issues around the country. Having lived in South Florida my whole life we never really deal with some of the issues like water drainage fields, basement issues, freezes, and seeding the lawn and everything goes into it. Some of you guys are really talented when it comes to those DIY projects.

When I bought my house it came with an above ground hot tub. We use to use it during the two weeks of winter we get down here but almost never the rest of the year. I haven't used since Irma now which is a shame since I think the kids would love it. It does have a slow leak that leaves a constant puddle on the back porch and for some reason when I turn on the pressure jets it pops the breaker which it never use to do.

Dunno where Foler is, but in north central florida it's been low 90s and heat index of 105 the past couple of days 🥵
Yes! The humidity kills me this time of year. Walk outside to get something from the truck and by the time you get back inside you are soaked in sweat.

Siliconemelons

Yeah Slight North Central FL- more east than west is where I am assuming he is at, if you get too north however it does not looks like that- if he has land like that, that is still somehow not developed and in the "H" of Florida - then yeah crazy... the H is the coasts and i4 corridor that are the highly populated area.

It may be south central of i4- wachula - seabring - but not too south or you just get swamp

- but really the thing is, there IS land if you go 15min out of anywhere but Pinellas (bc it's a peninsula filled with a million people)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Finally cought up with the thread! It's interesting reading about different home ownership issues around the country. Having lived in South Florida my whole life we never really deal with some of the issues like water drainage fields, basement issues, freezes, and seeding the lawn and everything goes into it. Some of you guys are really talented when it comes to those DIY projects.

When I bought my house it came with an above ground hot tub. We use to use it during the two weeks of winter we get down here but almost never the rest of the year. I haven't used since Irma now which is a shame since I think the kids would love it. It does have a slow leak that leaves a constant puddle on the back porch and for some reason when I turn on the pressure jets it pops the breaker which it never use to do.

Yes! The humidity kills me this time of year. Walk outside to get something from the truck and by the time you get back inside you are soaked in sweat.

The humidity sucks man. Can't stand the summers.

Yeah Slight North Central FL- more east than west is where I am assuming he is at, if you get too north however it does not looks like that- if he has land like that, that is still somehow not developed and in the "H" of Florida - then yeah crazy... the H is the coasts and i4 corridor that are the highly populated area.

It may be south central of i4- wachula - seabring - but not too south or you just get swamp

- but really the thing is, there IS land if you go 15min out of anywhere but Pinellas (bc it's a peninsula filled with a million people)

Newppp. Could be crazy?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Lease is up in about a month. With covid making things kinda crazy I've decided ima move out to the cabin. Place should be ready in a month. Only downside is no dishwasher and I don't want to put one in unless im redoing the entire kitchen which I don't want to do right now..

Could be worse. I've lived without a dishwasher before 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also gonna try to make a bomb ass adult slip n slide since the land behind the house has a slight decline. Not sure if its enough for optimal slidage. Will do research.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Lease is up in about a month. With covid making things kinda crazy I've decided ima move out to the cabin. Place should be ready in a month. Only downside is no dishwasher and I don't want to put one in unless im redoing the entire kitchen which I don't want to do right now..

Could be worse. I've lived without a dishwasher before 🤷‍♂️
Dunno how well they actually work, but I've seen people use dishwashers that thread on to kitchen faucets. Storage is still a consideration but casters make it pretty easy to move around.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Dunno how well they actually work, but I've seen people use dishwashers that thread on to kitchen faucets. Storage is still a consideration but casters make it pretty easy to move around.
Eh doubt i have room. I could put a tiny dishwasher in now but it wouldnt be near the sink. Rather just wait till i redo the kitchen at some point. Cabinets aren't easy to cut into because they're old school, lots of one piece stuff. Heck the drawers dont even have metal slides! All wood so it makes that nice screeching sound when you pull them out.. 😬

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Time to vent.

Fucking septic is all backed up. Contractor flooded the bathroom and one bedroom. His some didnt completely get all the water up and it left the gnarliest fucking stain in the terrazzo.... I mean so bad.

Now i have to get septic to clear the line. To top it off his electrician did a shit ass job in the house. Went to unplug my shop vac from one of his new outlets and outlet came out of the fucking wall. Went and inspected it and most outlets were wobbly and didnt seem secure or maybe just fucking cheap. Fuck man. Why can't people ever do honest work, the kind of work they'd want done if it were their house..

• 1Solidarity