Home Improvement

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can reverse the CC payment, right? Make sure to document that shit (sorry...)!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Sounds like I need to bring some beer (from my cousins brewery, because no poor's stuff for foler) and go to Foler Foler 's house for a slip in slide weekend.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ended up building this for the gentlemen that I did the faux beams for. Busted this out in 2 days with my buddy.

20200717_164025.jpg
20200717_150911.jpg
20200717_151150.jpg
20200717_150847.jpg
20200717_164003.jpg
20200717_151124.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So concrete block walls are raping my wifi. I want to run ethernet jacks to the bedrooms and living room via a switch in the attic. Crawled up in the attic and found this. This goes down to a power outlet... How much of a bitch would it be to drill down and run a cable?

20200721_120133.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So concrete block walls are raping my wifi. I want to run ethernet jacks to the bedrooms and living room via a switch in the attic. Crawled up in the attic and found this. This goes down to a power outlet... How much of a bitch would it be to drill down and run a cable?

View attachment 287001
Sorry if I’m missing something obvious, but why would you need to drill? Seems to me you could pull the outlet box out and use wire pull rods to run your ethernet cables through the existing penetrations.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Sorry if I’m missing something obvious, but why would you need to drill? Seems to me you could pull the outlet box out and use wire pull rods to run your ethernet cables through the existing penetrations.
Id like to keep the existing outlet for electrical. Could I somehow put an outlet next to it and use the same hole down from attic?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Get a snake. You should be able to work from the outlet and get the snake up to that point, then pull a pull string, then pull your cable through. Cement walls are a real pig on wifi. Other than running lines I have not yet found a good work around.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Get a snake. You should be able to work from the outlet and get the snake up to that point, then pull a pull string, then pull your cable through. Cement walls are a real pig on wifi. Other than running lines I have not yet found a good work around.
Right right but that hole goes down to my electrical outlet that I'd like to keep.. Maybe something like this..

41BTVqDb8HL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Right, but you can pull any cable you need through the same hole. Shouldn't be a hard job.
Ok, let me pull the plate off later this week and take some pics. Think I'll be able to communicate better that way

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Like big dirk said, pull the cable through the existing hole and you can just set two plates or a joint plate like the one you posted.
Ok. I think i need to just pull the plate to see what you guys are talking about. Ill do that friday after and report back. Thanks

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ok. I think i need to just pull the plate to see what you guys are talking about. Ill do that friday after and report back. Thanks
Not to insult your intelligence, but I’d turn off the breaker for that outlet before you pull the box out.

Once you get the face plate off you’ll be able to see the screws fastening the box inside the wall. Remove those and there should be enough slack to pull the box out without detaching the wires. Pull rods are about $25 but you’ll save $1000 in time and frustration if you’re doing multiple outlets.

Feed the rod up the hole where the electric wire comes from the attic. You may have to shimmy and jiggle to work it all the way up, but it’s easier than you might think. Once the rod has reached the attic use about ten loops of electrician tape to secure the LAN cable to the end of the rod. Go back down stairs and slowly pull it back to you. Give yourself plenty of slack as you can always take excess cable back into the attic.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've used fishing line with a small lead weight to drop from the attic down into the hole in the top plate and with the cover off the box and dick around with it a few it either land in the box or on top. Then tape or tie a bigger cable and go up then what you needed. Did it just recently to run 100' cat 5 from my room over the run of the house in the attic out to the attached storage room by the carport. I've never used a snake going upwards but sure that would work as well.

But post a pic I'm probably 180 degrees off what you are trying to do.